Duck Hunting Forum banner

new mass in looking for help

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  gijoe 
#1 ·
I lived in mass most of my life except while in the army that where I picked duck hunting. I;m living in worcester now looking for some ideas of good places to scout for next year so i do go into it blind any where in mass is ok. i just to be where the ducks are ty

#2 ·
First off, :welcome: and thanks for your service to the USA. Nobody is going to tell you right off where to go, maybe a general area but even that would be lucky. Start with WMA's and use google earth to your advantage. Start there and check some areas out that look promising. Put some miles on the vehicle and walk a lot. Most importantly, find out FIRST if you can hunt a certain area. It doesn't do the hunting community any good going in "guns a'blazin" anywhere you want. :tongue:

#3 ·
hey welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. i spend a lot of time in the spring and summer fishing, often times in places that i am interested in hunting.

it can be really confusing figuring out which towns are hunter friendly but you gotta do the homework and make sure. there is a list out there that goes through all the towns, but it is pretty old and i would double check anything from it to be safe.

another good place to start is to look at the various wildlife management areas.

here is a link for that

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/maps-destinations/wildlife-management-areas.html

#7 ·
This winter has been awful. My friggin oil bill has eaten into my fishing funds for this year! I cant believe how much Im paying....insanity. In Pittsburgh we were on natural gas and it was a tiny fraction of the home heating oil expense I have here. Why did I have to marry someone from Massachusetts?

C'est la vie...

#8 ·
Welcome, I am fellow central mass hunter... Out here in the central part of the state there are some nice places to hunt... But you need to do some homework for access and to see if there is an availabilty to hunt the parcels.

I do have some spots that I have scouted YEARS ago that I can think of... that are in your neck of the woods. but they require some planning and permits. You may want to get a dog for central ma as I hunt a lot of beaver ponds, swamps, and crap that dragging a boat through would drive you absolutely crazy.

If you want to get pointed in a direction PM me and Ill give you some ideas that are relatively close by to worcester maybe a little drive outside the city as with most good spots sometimes they are a good drive away from your house.

Next season gets closer everyday...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.