Ducks?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Ducks?

Postby frazier2209 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:23 pm

Are there any ducks in Vermont?
frazier2209
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:12 pm

I imagine so they got DU chpaters up there and all, but never been to tell you how it is.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:31 am

Ducks in Vermont?Check out Lake Champlain,ducks -puddlers and Divers,Canada Geese and Snows.Hope some Vermonters come to this forum,would nice to hear from them.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Vermont Ducks

Postby VtMike » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:16 am

Duck hunting Vt can be great. Lake Champlain is out standing. Resident ducks get blasted out first week of season, then things slow down a bit. Early November through the end of the season the lake kicks into high gear. The big ducks, Mallards, Blacks and Divers, make thier way down from Canada.
If it looks like it bites..........Don't Pet it!!!
VtMike
hunter

Postby Dogman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:12 am

A vermonter :thumbsup: .Good!This VT forum needs a lift!Welcome aboard :thumbsup:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

ducks in Vermont

Postby barnet_hunter » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:55 pm

I hunted with a guy from Louisiana a few years back and he laughed at how few ducks we saw. He told the story of how he bagged ~75 birds one season and his buddies made fun of him. I would not come the Vermont expecting that type of success even on Lake Champlain. Vermont is a beautiful place in the fall and the fact that we do have some birds around only makes it better.
barnet_hunter
Newb

Postby yellodog1 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:21 pm

Vermont has some good duck hunting. Lake Champlain is very good throughout the season, and there are some good smaller lakes in the Northeast Kingdom that can hold some ducks. Vermont isnt Arkanas, but I know people that hunt the Missisquoi Natl. Wildlife Refuge, and limit out a lot of the days that they go out.
The only problem in Vt, is that a lot of the places where we used to hunt, are now all posted or have houses built in close proximity. This is a problem for hunting as a whole, but its getting tougher to find those good honey holes with access.
The numbers of duck hunters in VT are in the decline, so there is less pressure than there was a decade ago, however there are fewer places available to hunt. In particular small ponds and river bottoms that used to be accesible through farm land, but now are houses.
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby LBeinhaur » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:59 am

My son and a friend and I hunted ducks the 1st day on Dead creek and had a lot of shooting, If I could just hit 'em we would have had quite a few. Mostly Teal, but we also got a Mallard and a woody.
We aslo got 2 Canada's . Only been out 1 day so far for Snows but saw 100's maybe 1000's of them, but WAY high. Need to add to my snow spread to try and bring them in. ANybodt recommend a GOOD snow goose call. I have a Haydell's or 2 but think they are a bit too low pitched.
I am taking Vacation next week and plan to hunt all week (understanding wife!!) and will let you know how I do
LBeinhaur
hunter

Geese opening day of duck season????

Postby yellodog1 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:16 pm

Did you get those Canadians on opening day of Duck season?
Isnt the season on Geese closed until later in the month?
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby VTduckman » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:40 pm

I hunt vermont. first week there is alot of pressure but late season there is almost none. we got decent puddlers, mostly woodys, some mallards and the occasional black duck. latter there are plenty of divers on the lake. i hunt a swamp in ferrisburg that is RIGHT next to the lake and divers come in there to my puddler spread.
VTduckman
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting