blinds For Upcoming Season

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Re: blinds For Upcoming Season

Postby lil_shawn1990 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:54 pm

KAhunter wrote:
surfrat wrote:I have not broke any law and I take most anyone that ask hunting. I talk to the wardens on a regular basis . The only jacked up attitude around here is you guys that don't want to put in the time to find a good spot on your own. I didn't steal my spot from anyone. I went out and found it...some of you should do the same... And you don't have to worry about me or my buddies trying to slip in and shoot it when you are not around or bitching about you haveing a good spot to hunt if you ever do find one. Any one of you could have two good blinds of your own . All you have to do is find the spot and buy the tag and build it. I know of about half dozen spots that are great right now with no blinds...I am helping a friend get set up in a nice blind of his own for next season. I think the blind laws are great...Without them it would be out of controll.It has nothing to do with greed or money...It has to do with the fact that I found a good spot and put up blinds.

I agree 100%
lilshawn you just started duck hunting and you just moved here?? Like I said its not like lousiana here. Lots of hunters and not lots of places to hunt. You cant expect ot public hunt in VA, or NC for that matter, first year you have duck hunted ever and strike gold. sorry.

What you can expect though is to deter people wanting to get into the sport. the article a few post above explains itself. Like I said, I have places to hunt and I believe I will do pretty well with them. However I was looking into finding a spot on public waters and just from what i have researched it seems like if I don't know the right people then I ain't getting a spot or don't have the high $$$ to pay a landowner then I ain't getting a spot. Now like you have mentioned I am new to the sport and have only been in VA for a year. I definitely don't know every nook and cranny of the waterways so my post probably don't hold water. But ill give my opinion on it regardless. If you don't like my opinion or thinks its useless, no skin off my back. Once I pick up my boat, I will be out navigating the waterways and see what I can find for myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
lil_shawn1990
hunter

Postby lil_shawn1990 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:00 pm

surfrat wrote:I have not broke any law and I take most anyone that ask hunting. I talk to the wardens on a regular basis . I didn't steal my spot from anyone. I went out and found it...some of you should do the same... And you don't have to worry about me or my buddies trying to slip in and shoot it when you are not around or bitching about you haveing a good spot to hunt if you ever do find one. Any one of you could have two good blinds of your own . All you have to do is find the spot and buy the tag and build it. I know of about half dozen spots that are great right now with no blinds...I am helping a friend get set up in a nice blind of his own for next season. I think the blind laws are great...Without them it would be out of controll. It has nothing to do with greed or money...It has to do with the fact that I found a good spot and put up blinds.

No one said you broke a law. I think we will agree to disagree about the blind laws at the moment. Maybe its just me being butthurt about not having one, but it does seem to cause a lot of stir and conflict within a group of similar minded people. Who knows, like said above ill pick up my boat and go check out some spots and maybe ill end up being thankful about blind laws. Only time can tell. As of right now, it is a deterrent for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
lil_shawn1990
hunter

Postby surfrat » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Believe me if you find a good spot and build a blind you will love the blind laws....You will also get pissed when others try to break them by poaching your spot. There is nothing like knowing you have a great place to hunt that you found and built a blind on. I use to feel the same way as you back when I only hunted from a boat. I use to see those blinds in the perfect spot and think how nice it would be if it were mine.
surfrat
hunter

Postby rlh01 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:49 pm

I support the blind laws and the rights of property owners. The reason I support the blind laws is that it is evident by the posts on this tread that there are individuals who don't respect the honest hard work of others to secure their own hunting locations on the public tidal waters of Virginia. They want the privilege of hunting but not the work involved nor the money involved in searching out a good hunting locations.
rlh01
hunter

Postby old1neck » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:53 pm

I have blinds and still don't love blind laws and it is because of the way they are abused. If everyone only licensed locations they actually hunted they would be much more popular. There is no accountability and people use them to create their own hunting refuges enforced by CPO's for $23.50 a piece. The laws are here to stay but I will never agree with them in their current form.
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby Ducks27 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:53 pm

I have blinds and still don't love blind laws and it is because of the way they are abused. If everyone only licensed locations they actually hunted they would be much more popular. There is no accountability and people use them to create their own hunting refuges enforced by CPO's for $23.50 a piece. The laws are here to stay but I will never agree with them in their current form.

amen to that and couldn't agree more

I believe If you put a blind or blinds up for the sole purpose of locking a place up, you should loose your privilege to own a blind, how to prove it I don't know
Ducks27
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:21 am

So the problem isnt the blind laws its people abusing the law. Thats where we get in trouble. Maybe instead of getting rid of all blind laws, which would lead to a free-for-all which no one wants, we should figure out a way prohibit or deter dummy blinds. Thats the solution. As many hunters as there are now and the possibility of no blind laws would make public duck hunting a nightmare. Unfortunately respect for others seems to go out the window when someone sets up where someone else wants to be or ha a blind there. Thats hwy i support blind laws. It would be a mess without them
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

blinds For Upcoming Season

Postby old1neck » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:18 am

The blind laws as written empower the people to abuse them. If you question a dummy blind you will be told by VDGIF brass..."We have no way to know their intent when they built that. Just because they have never actually hunted it doesn't mean they don't intend to, therefore it is a legal blind." You would be apalled at the structure I sent them a picture of. Only way to deter is to significantly raise the price and the two ways to prohibit it are do away with blind laws completely or give protection to occupied blinds only. What are your ideas to deter and prohibit KAhunter?Image
old1neck
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:49 pm

What's wrong with that picture ? I see nothing that makes me think that a landowner put that dummy blind there . OK so I don't see the whole view around that POS but what I do see is a collection of blind tag making one think it has been tag many a year . Looking at them I can see only a few year sticker and none of the new type of tags . Not knowing if it was tag last year as a NONriparian or not but if it was a Riparian tag the owner broke a blind law . That water behind it sure looks ducky and a good bet that the owner of the POS hunts it with a floater if it isn't the outlaw land owner (which by the way doesn't have any posted signs .
Again I say do away with Fixed blinds over public waters and cut down on a lot of dummy blinds.

:huh: LD :sad:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby old1neck » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:50 pm

It is riparian and they license it every year and I already told you what VDGIF had to say about it. I'm still waiting for KAhunter to share his thoughts on how to deter/prohibit this since blind laws are not the problem.
old1neck
hunter

Postby surfrat » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:03 pm

My advice is to find a place that is not taged out to hunt. How do you know that guy dosent hunt his spot out of a float blind...We often set up and hunt from a boat away from our blinds because of wind direction and so the birds dont get wise to the blinds. I agree that the system is not perfect but It is better than a free for all. The guys that get out and do their work to find their own spot are the winners under the current rules.
surfrat
hunter

Postby old1neck » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:48 am

Using stationary blinds to secure an area so only you can hunt it out of a floater is illegal.
old1neck
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:51 am

oneneck, how many years since youve been on this site have you seen the same people beat the same damn dead horse, this will never end . eventually enough people will get tired of it and just walk away from the sport, and its happening everyday
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:34 am

Raising the price of tagging a blind isn't going to mean anything to 95% of folks with waterfront property, anyone who thinks that is any type of remedy to ghost blinds probably wears velcro shoes out of necessity.

But they would rather be stabbed in the neck than spend time with a bunch of rednecks. So make hunting licenses mandatory for blind owners, and make hunter's safety certificates mandatory to even nuy a hunting license. If every preppy landowner who wants a ghost blind had to spend 10 or 12 hours over a period of several weeks learning gun safety in a room full of rednecks, more than a few would elect out.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby old1neck » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:24 am

TIS your attempt at an insult is laughable, I never said it was any type of remedy, I said it would be a deterrent. I agree a hunting license should be required to buy a blind license, but you'll be wearing velcro shoes as well if you think that's a remedy. It may work for the preppy homeowners you refer to but they are not the majority who use dummy blinds in my area. The duck clubs and landowners of large tracts who are also hunters have their nice blinds they actually hunt out of, but then space their dummies out to ensure no one floats anywhere near their shore. When someone is buying 20 licenses at $500 a sticker for blinds they will never hunt....It would absolutely deter more than 5%.
old1neck
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:37 am

I'm not attempting to insult anyone, I simply don't give a damn what anyone here thinks about me and view the great majority of what gets posted here as laughably stupid. Had no idea that you personally had suggested it, but it wouldn't have made any difference if I had. Was just talking in generalities because it's a route lots of folks bring up.

If you and I were neighbors, we'd get along just fine. The NFL draft is coming soon, we can resurrect that Skins thread if you want to trade insults.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:13 pm

old1neck wrote:It is riparian and they license it every year and I already told you what VDGIF had to say about it. I'm still waiting for KAhunter to share his thoughts on how to deter/prohibit this since blind laws are not the problem.

Make a valid hunter's safety course certificate mandatory for all blind owners. Give hunter's safety certificates their own individual code for this. Blind stakeholders must have an annual hunting license, too. To get a valid blind tag, a landowner must enter both his code for the hunter's safety course and hunting license number.

The only extra hassle for blind owners who truly intend to hunt their blind(s) would ne having to buy their license a little early, no extra financial cost at all. But for the preppy folks who don't hunt, don't intend to, and like to lock up public water so as to keep people out... well, now they're gonna have to want it a whole lot more than they did in the past. Gonna have to sit in a room full of Jim Bobs amd Billy Joes and learn all about guns and stuff to get that tag now. Whole lot harder than just ordering a tag and paying some kid down the street to put it on a stick.

Some will still go through the hassle, but plenty won't. Certainly not a true "remedy" of any sort, bit it would make a small difference.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:10 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:
old1neck wrote: now they're gonna have to want it a whole lot more than they did in the past. Gonna have to sit in a room full of Jim Bobs amd Billy Joes and learn all about guns and stuff to get that tag now. Whole lot harder than just ordering a tag and paying some kid down the street to put it on a stick.

Some will still go through the hassle, but plenty won't. Certainly not a true "remedy" of any sort, bit it would make a small difference.

Pretty sure u can do your course 100% online for like 13 bucks now.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:48 pm

Then make them do the in-class variety. Throw in the new(ish) boating safety classes as well or as an alternative. The point is to make them invest time and not just a few dollars if riparian landowners want to put a stick with a tag on it at the end of their dock. Make them leave the house multiple times and invest multiple hours in the process, and you'll see a small but noticeable drop in the number of such "blinds" being tagged.

Boat-bound hunters have to do the classes anyways, so my ideas are nothing extra to us other than having to buy a state license a little earlier in the year.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby bay gunner » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:37 pm

Agreed, hunter safety and hunting license should be bare minimum for buying a blind license.
I like my stationary blinds, but I've hunted in many other states with no blind laws whatsoever and everyone had fine hunting. There was more habitat of course, but also exponentially more hunters than there are in VA. It could work here, but VA sensibilities wouldnt allow it. We are all land barons in our own minds. Besides I like duck hunting being kept exclusive and I long for the days when everyone thought me weird for duck hunting. Never saw anyone else out huntin back then.
bay gunner
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:38 pm

old1neck wrote:Using stationary blinds to secure an area so only you can hunt it out of a floater is illegal.

Is this in writing? serious question, not trying to be an ***
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby Ducks27 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Technically i think yes

"Is a structure erected at a fixed location either on the shores of the public waters or in the public waters for the purpose of hunting and shooting waterfowl"

but i think it would be impossible to prove if it was just used to secure a floating area.
Ducks27
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:23 pm

the way i read it, doesn't necessarily mean you have to be within the blind BUT so that you have it there for the purpose of hunting and not just a waterfront owner keeping others away because he doesn't like gunshots at 7am. So if I construct a LEGAL "dummy" blind (of size and structure to hold and hide a hunter) FOR THE PURPOSE OF HUNTING my floater nearby i see no grief. Like lew says don't interpret these laws more than they need to be interpreted.

I do understand the trouble with ghost and dummy blinds but i have also seen full fledged complete (and nice i must say) blinds that are never hunted as well and are used as "dummy" blinds for floaters. so whats the difference essentially…

I understand lews floater only concept more and more every season….
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby Ducks27 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:13 pm

I agree reading into it that much will make no difference, a legal blind is a legal blind.
Ducks27
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:19 am

I see it another way for a dummy blind is a dummy blind no matter who built the dang thing . I mean a floating blind license gives the owner the right to go where the birds are . If all those floaters out there build a legal fixed blind to secure a good spot that they might float hunt a few times if at all during the season , we would have a problem much like we are discussing now . Think about it, a floater with two hunters can have 4 fixed blinds that are non-riparian and a unlimited number of riparian fixed blinds and no intention of hunting inside of any of them . The law has holes and a few landowners & hunters us them every year , doing away with water fixed blinds and making a floating blinds a county license with a 2 county limit would cut most holes out IMO .

:huh: LD :yes:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting