What choke do you use to shoot skeet?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

What choke do you use to shoot skeet?

Postby tstrong » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:30 pm

I have always used a modified, makes it tougher but I can get some of the farther shots.
tstrong
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:39 pm

i have used the modified on occasion, but I use the skeet choke from remington for my 870. I have also used the skeet for late season grouse with good results.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:39 am

I use my paternmaster waterfowl choke since that what I will be shooting with in September when Resi goose season opens.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby thaner » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:00 am

You can shoot it with any choke depending on how hard you want to make it. If you want to seriously shoot skeet use skeet choke. If you just want to go out and try it IC will work fine. With some of the guns with the long forcing cones and over bored barrels cylinder will often work fine because of the quality of the pattern. My Beretta’s with custom chokes smash skeet targets with cylinder and 1oz loads.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:30 am

i have been using an IC choke in my benelli Nova. that is the choke i hunt with and normally that is why i am out shooting clays. however, with my new double i will probably go with some combination of CYL/Skeet, Skeet/Skeet or Skeet/IC
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:29 am

depends....when competitve/league.....Skeet-Skeet.......the issue , whether warming up for the season on the marshes or competition is to keep a gun swinging and to be acclaimated to the mount etc....I don't think you will gain anything by shooting a tight choke....having mod or full will make the round more competitive or as an informal handicap with your squad
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby frazier2209 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:35 pm

I shoot a Beretta AL391 Teknys 20 ga. for skeet. I use a Comp-N-Choke that has a .000 bore. Comp-N-Chokes are bored a little tight, so it is supposed to be in between cylinder and skeet bore. I really love this choke though, because it will smash anything from 10-40 yards great. If you are looking for a competition choke, or even one for recreational skeet, i suggest you try Comp-N-Choke!!!
frazier2209
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:27 pm

a shotgun :mrgreen:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby mirage1 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:34 am

It depends most of the time I use skeet & skeet But I also change it up to make it harder SK & IC or IC & MOD I use all Briley tubes
Sanctuary Isle Retrievers
mirage1
hunter

Postby tengoose1 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:18 pm

I am just a back yard clay shooter so I dont know much about the trap range but I always used mod. We normally get 25-30 yards away from the guy throwing the clays and shoot them going across in front of you. The shots can be right over top of you to 45 yards out in front of you. You never know which way the next one is going next. We use a hand thrower so you dont get the same shot over and over again. Thats my 2 cents.
tengoose1
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:08 pm

Cabelas Boy wrote:a shotgun :mrgreen:

the topic was what choke do you use for skeet, not what gun? :withstupid:
frazier2209
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:24 pm

I like "Skeet" for skeet, how ironic! :mrgreen: But modified works well too.

I even have a friend who uses a .410 with full choke, #4 shot, and gets darn close to all of them, alot better than me :oops:
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:28 am

i use an improved mod. for trap,skeet,sporting clays
Just making my way the only way i know how!
duckbuster
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:10 am

I use an IC in my 870. When I get a double gun, I'm thinking skeet/ic. The ic might be good for those going - away shots.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:01 pm

i use full mostly but will occasionally go with mod. rarely, if ever, shoot IC. my logic is that i have to be dead on with a full choke to bust clays. so when i am hunting i have a little room for error and still hit hard. i don't like "winging" birds, etc. shooting full definitely makes a round more challenging but you can see the rewards in the field where it really matters to me.

if anyone is curious...my best round of of sporting clays is 86/100. yes that was with a full choke. my buddies keep trying to talk me into shooting with appropriate tubes just to see if i can get a perfect round but i have yet to try it. (mainly because i like not knowing if i could or couldn't instead of removing all doubt that i can't.) :cool: i was fortunate enough to shoot with the one guy around here that scored perfect at the particular range i shoot at and he was something else. it was almost humurous to see him changing tubes after every single shot, but the guy didn't miss. he is the only person in about 20 years of operation to shoot perfect on that course...pretty impressive!
shrpshtr
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum