CLBC wads and T steel

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

CLBC wads and T steel

Postby steelshotshooter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:15 pm

Hello...............
Last edited by steelshotshooter on Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By HIS stripes, we are healed...
steelshotshooter
hunter

Re: CLBC wads and T steel

Postby d_money » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:13 pm

What are the 4756 loads. I have some good loads with the mg42 with steel.
d_money
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:05 pm

Hello..............
Last edited by steelshotshooter on Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby jake j » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:06 am

Excellent post. I'm waiting patiently on your follow up. My next 7/8 oz shot size is T as it also has been my favorite goose pellet forever. I'm waiting on weather to chrono my B steel experiment. I'd like both in my bag of tricks since many a field I hunt I'm also sharing with people that aren't well equipped and experienced at getting birds in close and finishing them. When I'm alone I don't need T but when you need it you need it. There's always some guy that wants to open up on a committed flock at 50 yards and afterwards swears they were "right on top of us". :huh: Jake J.
Coots are the ugly bar whores of duck hunting... they're easy, plentiful, taste and smell just as good as any, and are always there when your itching for some action. Everyone secretly loves to blast em but only the bold take pride.
jake j
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:28 pm

These are Outstanding , what more does a guy need for a occasional goose load in a 12 ga ?

With 7 1/2 lbs of Herco and 500 New Ched primed hulls ready , I'm waiting to see your recipe for this load ?

Thanks for your time / pics
3200 man
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:23 pm

I'll give you guys the load we have settled on...

We have yet to be able to get out and do any patterning because of the constant winds we have been having. Rest assured I will post pattern results but, I need a good calm day without all these high winds...

HULL: Cheddite - 12 gauge - 2 3/4"...

PRIMER: Cheddite 209...

POWDER: Herco - 30.0 grains...

WAD: CLBC - 2 full length petal cuts...

THIN MYLAR WRAP: fold in half lengthwise - coil it around your ringer - place in shotcup down to top of wad. Place the fold to the top, so buffer does not migrate down into the fold...

SHOT: 49 T steel pellets - 7 pellets per row - 7 rows...

BUFFER: fill to top row of shot...

OVERSHOT CARD: one 13 ga. overshot card on top of shot/buffer. Overshot card will also push mylar wrap down even with the top of the wad...

WAD PRESSURE: apply 110 lbs. pressure, directly on top of overshot card...

CRIMP: crimp load as you would any other...

VELOCITY: 1,620 fps. with 30" Hastings Wadlock barrel on Remington 870...

PRESSURE: 10,900psi...

NOTES: T steel and geese - like I've said many times before, you either have a DEAD bird or you just flat out miss it! T steel will kill geese, from giant Canada's to Snow's and with 1,600 fps. loads, you normally get full in and out penetration and very very few crippled birds. You have to "choke" your gun to the range you plan on shooting birds and these larger pellets work exceptionally well from in your face geese out to an honest 60-65 yds. if you are into pass shooting. We have shot geese with high velocity T steel in nothing but 2 3/4" loads for over 20 years and we have no complaints....
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:44 pm

I have a load simular to yours, you might find interesting. Mine loads in the same 2 3/4" ched hull, same CX2000 primer only with a B&P35 wad and almost a 1 1/4 oz charge of TT shot. I get 55 pellets stacked just like you do under a BPI plastic over shot disc and a rto crimp. This gives me a 3" volume load while using a 2 3/4" new ched hull. The TT pellets stack better than the T shot size. I do not use buffer or mylar wrap as I found no improvement using buffer with this load. Which choke tubes are giving you the best patterns with your T shot load?

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:42 pm

Chris,

we use extended full and extra full chokes in the 870 Hastings barrels and my 3 1/2" Super Mag barrel, (even though it is on a 2 3/4" 870 receiver)...

We normally run either a .690, .700 or .710 constriction in our custom 2" or 3" extended tubes. I have an old Colonial Arms Super Steel RCFUL with a .700 constriction and it throws some pretty good patterns with the T's and 1 steel...

I have never loaded nor considered anything larger than T steel. How does the TT steel pattern for you? Would they "stack" in a CLBC wad or would it require one that is a little thinner in the shotcup?
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:58 pm

I have a few HWL barrels, mainly one on a 2 3/4" 1100 action. The 3" chamber allows me to shoot 3" shells in it now. I have tried various extended chokes in the HWL barrels and saw no improvement in patterns as opposed to using the flush chokes that came with the barrel. I mostly use the full and like it best. In my HkSBE, I use a .700 Terror. I am just skeptical about shooting TT through it. Since the HWL barrels are so heavy duty, I would not fear shooting the bigger pellets through it.
With the B&P wad, I found the TT pellets stacked really good, just like you showed in your pics. But the T shot did not. I have never had any of those wads you are using. I have not had a chance to shoot my TT load, just loaded some up is all. But, I have used that same load with #1s and got 97% patterns at 45 yards with it using a .685 Terror. So all I did was change the pellet size with a well tested load that I know is safe. I am just afraid to shoot those TTs or Ts for that matter in any other barrel than the HWL. They might do fine, it just scares me being new territory using the big pellets in 12ga, much less a full choke constriction which I prefer.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:09 pm

Lets see some patterns!
solway gunner
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:29 pm

You aught to know by now I dont know how to post up pics on here.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:01 pm

Chris,

if you would link me to send you a handful of unslit CLBC wads, PM me your address and I will gladly send you some...

I know that with the 26" Wadlock barrel that I had, I put many many thousands of rounds of T steel loads through it, and used nothing but the factory flush full choke tube. I never put a scratch in it and it mic'd the same as when I bought it new, as it did thousands of rounds later. I never shot 3" or heavy loads through it, just the 7/8 oz. T steel loads...

WOW! A 97% pattern of 1 steel @ 45 yds. would totally ruin a ducks day! That would make for one heckuva pass shooting load above the tree tops....
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:20 pm

If you will email me at tengaokie@aol.com I will have your email and can send pics about the rto 3" load plus pattern pic using #1s. I always like to get better aqainted with my fellow Okies. Who knows, maybe a hunt together is in the future. I intend to first try the B&P wads with the TTs. Later on I might take you up on those other wads. Thanks for your kind offer!

Chris

tengaokie@aol.com
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:14 pm

10gaOkie wrote:You aught to know by now I dont know how to post up pics on here.

Chris

Not yourself Chris but the original poster,if he will.Id like to see his patterns.Just out of interest you said on another thread that you dislike T in a 10ga,but are contemplating TT in a light 12ga round using a b+p wad .Id be careful as they are made from much thinner plastic than the Gualandi lbc wads and are cheaply made by comparison,in fact id go as far to say as dont do it if you value your barrel.
solway gunner
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:45 pm

Yes,
I havent shot any yet. I am not sure I want to. Thats what I have a 10ga for. To date, I have never shot anything bigger than #1s in 12ga. I know for sure that I did not plan to shoot them through my HkSBE with Terror choke.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby steelshotshooter » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:08 pm

Chris,

I just sent you an e-mail...

I would be careful about certain wads for T steel loads. I know from use, that the Ranger Plus will easily handle T steel shot, as we have shot probably 3,000 of these without having any of the steel pellets contact and scratch the bore...

Other than the Ranger Plus, CLBC and BP-12 Tuff wads, I cannot comment on any other wads on the market, as these are the only three wads we have used with T steel...

A duck hunt would be absolutely awesome! Maybe we can do something like that this next duck season. I look forward to it....
steelshotshooter
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:18 am

solway gunner wrote:
10gaOkie wrote:You aught to know by now I dont know how to post up pics on here.

Chris

Not yourself Chris but the original poster,if he will.Id like to see his patterns.Just out of interest you said on another thread that you dislike T in a 10ga,but are contemplating TT in a light 12ga round using a b+p wad .Id be careful as they are made from much thinner plastic than the Gualandi lbc wads and are cheaply made by comparison,in fact id go as far to say as dont do it if you value your barrel.

I say OP is giving misinformation I could only find one load with that much Herco in any type of hull with a slightly lighter 7/8 oz load of steel.
This looks to me like a cheap copy of one of BP's wonder loads..but that one is 7/8 oz and they limited the shotsize to #3 steel with 30 grains of Herco...1560 fps at 10300 psi... again so they say. I trust Lymans data a bit more
26 grains of Herco in either the Federal GM or Fiocchi hulls gets between 10300 and 11300 with LBC type wad depending on what hull your using according to Lyman and some older BP manuals.
This guys got an audience for real.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby grnhd » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:16 am

So this guy is loading 30 grs of Herco AND then adding buffer to a load that is listed at 11,300 psi? Or was the load listed with buffer?
That looks like PR buffer, that stuff does crazy things to pressure in a hurry. Been there done that.
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:27 am

This is the reason I stick with one type of powder "Steel" plus I dont mess with buffer anymore, namely PR buffer. Good info Grnhd.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:56 pm

He suggested he had the load pressure tested. If that is true, I want to see the report. Pretty simple, If the pressure is what was posted he should have the report to back up the data. I did find a 30gr Herco load that fit some of his load data. But 49 T is 15/16oz not 7/8oz.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:13 pm

baltz526 wrote: But 49 T is 15/16oz not 7/8oz.

he's loading 48 not 49 Ts, that may give him 7/8oz
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:25 pm

grnhd wrote:So this guy is loading 30 grs of Herco AND then adding buffer to a load that is listed at 11,300 psi? Or was the load listed with buffer?
That looks like PR buffer, that stuff does crazy things to pressure in a hurry. Been there done that.

I ran the pressure numbers both Lyman and BP had with 7/8 oz loads and 26 grains of Herco, figuring in for the increase in powder charge(30 grains) I got 11880 psi on the low side of it and 13560 psi on the high side using the formulas that I have.
That does not include any increase for buffer.
Carry on........... :fingerhead:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:16 pm

Am I to infer from these posts that TUWSBL wads will not protect a barrel when firing T shot? The 28 holds holds 382-385 gns of T (I weigh not count) very nicely. I haven't patterned any yet - should I not? LS recipe #15 BTW. Also have the same loaded with 421 gns of 1s.

Joe
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:43 pm

New hulls can lower pressure.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:00 pm

C M Wings wrote:Am I to infer from these posts that TUWSBL wads will not protect a barrel when firing T shot? The 28 holds holds 382-385 gns of T (I weigh not count) very nicely. I haven't patterned any yet - should I not? LS recipe #15 BTW. Also have the same loaded with 421 gns of 1s.

Joe

Are you referring my comment to 10gaoakie?I was talking TT not T.Personaly, i wouldnt put T through any B+P wad,they are made to a certain industry standard for commercial reloading(Kentfasteel and others) and certainly represent value,however they are practicaly half the thickness of Gualandi LBC wads(see OPs pics meauring 0.057") and werent designed to shoot big lettered steelshot and certainly not at the high velocitys talked about previously.Im not suggesting something untoward may/will happen to your gun but when it comes to barrel/choke damage i like to reduce the odds a bit..
solway gunner
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes