Foiles strait meat honker vs. zink COD

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Foiles strait meat honker vs. zink COD

Postby Jade7 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:23 am

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on which is the better call, which one sounds more realistic, has better range, which one is faster and which call is the easiest to operate thanks!
Jade7
Newb

Re: Foiles strait meat honker vs. zink COD

Postby Thunderstruck » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:54 pm

No question about it Zink
Thunderstruck
hunter

Postby QAHONKER » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:32 pm

The Foiles call would be the best bet. FMI calls are hand tuned by jeff at the shop, and there are staff guys all over the country that can help ya out. The SMH is the easiest and most user friendly call on the market. I have had mine since about 2000 and still am running it.
FOILES MIGRATORS
QAHONKER
hunter

Postby Echospartan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:51 am

Thunderstruck wrote:No question about it Zink

:ditto: Zink makes great goose calls, from trying the COD at cabelas, I was really impressed with it. Get the Zink.
Echospartan
hunter

Postby nitram » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:14 am

Wow, 2 to 1 for Zink. Who da thunk it? My vote for SMH gets it back to even, for now.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:05 am

The SMH is a seriously nice goose call. :thumbsup:
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:07 am

I'm a SMH guy myself as well. I can't blow a Zink for some reason.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:55 am

Foiles
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu May 08, 2014 6:35 pm

I like my Sr-1. Plan to throws some BIGs in it soon
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby brent4hire » Mon May 12, 2014 7:29 am

Jade7 wrote:Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on which is the better call, which one sounds more realistic, has better range, which one is faster and which call is the easiest to operate thanks!

"any opinions on which is the better call" - totally subjective. One will be preferable to one hunter, and visa versa. Both can kill geese, and both are limited, for the most part, by the skills of the person running it. Both are made from $10 worth of material, both will set you back a boat payment.

"which one sounds more realistic" - again, mostly subject to opinions of the operator and the listener, and determined by the skills of the operator. Fred Zink is, in my personal opinion, a more total caller than Foiles, but both have killed many birds with their respective calls. Given that you're looking for a realistic hunting call, I think you should try both in the field and ask that question to the only listeners that matter - the geese.

"has better range" - mostly based on limitations of the caller. I don't like Zink guts at all - I've run their calls in the field and on films, and even while staffing for them I had to tune my call with different guts, otherwise I wouldn't be able to run the calls well. With his guts in them, I get limited range. With other guts, the COD runs very well for me. The Foiles, by design, is tougher for me to do certain trick notes on than the COD. It is limited in range for me based on my style and skills.

"which one is faster" - since the SMH is in this conversation, I'll assume again this is for hunting and not competition (which is not to say the SMH can't win comps in the right hands, but there are much better options out there). This begs the question, how much speed do you need? How much can you produce? Quality and clarity are more important to me in the field than a mass of sound. The COD will respond a little quicker to air presentation based on the interior dimensions. The SMH is fast enough to kills birds.

"which call is the easiest to operate thanks" - both - and neither. The SMH is a straight-bored barrel with an insert that creates a step down, forming a large volume space to fill - this makes the call pretty easy to break into a cluck, but creates certain challenges on other notes. The COD has a gradual opening in its Glodo, so there will be increase speed in its response to air, so it's also easy to break into clucks, but tends to be better suited to finesse style notes than the SMH. That being said, Zink guts are notoriously light to break over - in particular compared to Foiles guts, which behave more like Cluckers or Edges. You have to define "easiest" - the Zink with Zink guts requires less air to operate - the Foiles guts are easier to run if you're accustomed to other calls. Personally, I would go for a marriage of the two - the COD with Foiles guts, but that's me. Ultimately, they're both acrylic tubes with subtle difference, but both are subject to the same laws of physics - ie, they both run the same way.
If God didn't want us to eat animals then why did He make'em outta meat?
brent4hire
hunter

Postby duckblind1982 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:00 am

I like my Folies........ I have an all back COD if your interested.
duckblind1982
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:36 pm

SMH and Meatgrinder. :thumbsup:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum