eye sizes

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

eye sizes

Postby bandgitter91 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:46 pm

I am still learning to do birds and am trying to do them on my own without the help of my boss. I have a bufflehead, redhead, 2 pintail, a ringneck, and a canada goose i am working on... in the middle of ordering everything. I am wondering what size eyes should i get for them cause when you look in the books there are so many different sizes. How do you know which size to get? :help: :help: Thank you for your time
bandgitter91
hunter

Re: eye sizes

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:02 pm

I always go smaller just due to my technique of using a pre-made eye ring attached to the eye. Bufflehead I would order 7 or 8mm brown, redhead 8mm straw or yellow, (acrylic species specific eye), pintail 8mm brown, ringer 8mm yellow (same as redhead using a specialized species specific eye), and canada 9mm brown.

I'm sure others here will give their input, but mostly remember that the eye shape is dictated by the ring or the lid, so centering the pupil correctly, and evenly to the other eye, and where the eye opening actually lays is what is most important in my opinion.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Re: eye sizes

Postby sprigpig1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:21 pm

I agree with Pete.. It's all going to depend on how you set your eyes or the attitude of the bird. Pete's way is very clever and allows him to use a smaller eye. Here is a chart that may help.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Eye-Re ... t-W24.aspx
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum