Cowling won't stay on

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Cowling won't stay on

Postby Eagles72781 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:03 pm

My dad gave me a late 60s/early 70s Evinrude 9.5 motor. He lost the original cowling and has a replacement, but it does not latch. Duct tape has been the short term solution. Anybody else have any good ideas for a fix? I will search the internet to see if I can find a new one as well, but would be interested in suggestions to solve the issue without a brand new part.
Eagles72781
hunter

Re: Cowling won't stay on

Postby Swanny » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:25 pm

That's a tough one to answer without being able to see it.
Swanny
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:30 pm

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_9.5.htm
http://www.leeroysramblings.com/index.html
Check this site. I am working on a 66' Evinrude 9.5 and this site has been VERY helpful.
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby Eagles72781 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:59 am

CountryRN wrote:http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_9.5.htm
http://www.leeroysramblings.com/index.html
Check this site. I am working on a 66' Evinrude 9.5 and this site has been VERY helpful.

Thanks! I'll definitely look over the information. I have seen people use bungee chords or tape, as I mentioned before. Wondering if a stick-on magnetic strip or rigging some type of latch would be possible.
Eagles72781
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:03 am

Good luck but if you would post a couple pictures of the cowling and its latch system that you have, we may be able to give you some good advice about how to get it working. It should be a good little motor on small a small boat. The power head on the one I am working on runs very smooth. A few more minor fixes and it will be ready for the water.
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Are the clips on the back broken?
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Eagles72781 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:30 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:Are the clips on the back broken?

Yes, the clips are broken, so it basically just rests on the top. The tape is functional, it just looks like crap. I'll see if I can post some pics.
Eagles72781
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:33 pm

Eagles72781 wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:Are the clips on the back broken?

Yes, the clips are broken, so it basically just rests on the top. The tape is functional, it just looks like crap. I'll see if I can post some pics.

I had that issue with my 94'. I found a used cowling on ebay and clips on perfectly. Inspect the cowling clips as well as the receiver on the rest of the motor and find out which is broken. You can order replacement OME parts for those motors. I was going to get some for my original cowling when it broke, but like you I just let it rest and one day I hit a stump so hard that the cowling flew off and sank to the bottom of the lake. Thats why I had to go looking for another.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby lundin-loading » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:38 pm

my buddy has the end of a rubber bungy strap bolted on the back of his cowling, he just stretchs it down and hooks to the lower cowling somewhere, you cant really notice it, and when the rubber rots out he just bolts another one on.
lundin-loading
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds