My method for fixing feather slippage

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

My method for fixing feather slippage

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:09 pm

image.jpg

Very frustrating... :mad:

These were my brothers birds that were taken on a very special hunt with me and him about three years ago.
He stored them poorly and by the time they got to me( a few months ago) they were freezer burned to the hilt and just haggard.
I re-sealed them properly hoping for the best. The hen cinnamon was just the worst, all of the feathers were fine until I got to the head. As soon as I gently grabbed the head to start skinning the whole side of her face peeled off. So into the suggestion box she went.

To late to try denatured alcohol I suppose.

The drake slipped as well but not as bad, I have him skinned out rehydrating. Hoping for the best.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Take care of your birds that you want mounted kids!! Lol

Pete, Brian , Pat?? Thoughts?
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Re: My method for fixing feather slippage

Postby Tryingtaxi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:46 pm

So freezer burn causes slippage. Didn't know that I thought it was just bacteria. What can you do once feathers have slipped? I haven't had any of my birds feathers slip so far. I put the bird small garbage bag then out in a ziplock then double bagged with bigger garbage bags my dad says I over prepare :biggrin:
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:49 pm

I had a drake blue wing do this but was on its belly. It was from pour handling that I did not know about and never had a chance to spray it with stop rot. It was too late with a hand full of feathers. It too went in the trash.
fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:01 pm

Freezer burn does not help.. Both of the birds had a rotten smell which is never good. So yes bacteria probably caused the slippage. But both birds badly freezer burned.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Tryingtaxi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:23 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:Freezer burn does not help.. Both of the birds had a rotten smell which is never good. So yes bacteria probably caused the slippage. But both birds badly freezer burned.

Don't you just love the smell of rotten duck guts :biggrin: the duck I skinned today smelt pretty gnarly I don't know how you guys deal with it.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:32 pm

No this was a different kind of rotten.. There's a difference between smelly old unthawed duck and rotting flesh. I normally do pretty good with the smell. But this was pretty bad. Caught myself having to walk away from it a few times.

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Tryingtaxi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:45 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:No this was a different kind of rotten.. There's a difference between smelly old unthawed duck and rotting flesh. I normally do pretty good with the smell. But this was pretty bad. Caught myself having to walk away from it a few times.

I feel bad for you . But at least you tried. I can hardly handle the duck guts smell my mom doesn't even come in the kitchen while I'm skinning. I swear she's got the nose of a dog she says she can still smell it :biggrin: when I start doing divers I will have to get a respirator and put something that smells good in the filter.right now I wear a surgical mask it may look stupid but it's better than the smell.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:56 pm

Your mom lets you skin birds in the kitchen!! My mom would have hit me upside the head and told me to take my science project outside lol.

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:07 am

So both of these birds are toast.. Turns out, these birds sat around in a frost free freezer for 2 1/2 -3 years. That may have shut off a time or two. :no: completely defrosting them along with the constant thaw and unthaw cycle of a frost free freezer. Not to mention the freeze dried azz whooping these birds had over the years. Which explains a lot..these birds pretty much looked and smelled rotten as soon as they thawed out. They were actually still a bit frozen in the body while skinning.

First time I've had to trash birds.. Not an easy pill to swallow at all. Especially family members birds and fully plumaged/January birds. :fingerhead:

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby montana bound » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:40 am

Man those are the worst I've ever seen in over 30 yrs of skinning birds.
They had to be bad before they went in the freezer.
I just mounted 3 buffys that I shot in 09 have had in a freezer since then and transported 2000 miles across country when we moved out here 3 yrs ago(3 day drive, they thawed out). The buffys feet were dry but they mounted up pretty nice.
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:42 am

sprigpig1 wrote:Your mom lets you skin birds in the kitchen!! My mom would have hit me upside the head and told me to take my science project outside lol.

Yea as longs I don't make a mess. Is there any specific wheel I should get I looking at the Dakota heavy duty bird flesher
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:59 am

So this is the first time reading anything on this thread, and before I got to the conclusion, I thought I had it pegged. I was going to suggest that his bird had thawed once or twice, or had the bacteria to begin with?

Hunting warm weather climates certainly doesn't help. The vent is typically where the bacteria is worst, and head certainly has digestive bacteria as well. Saw it only one time. A BWT from Texas. Poor field handling is what I declare.

Sorry for your loss, but look at the bright side.....no longer have to work on a highly discounted bird!!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tryingtaxi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:07 am

Is there anything to do if you get a good bird and won't have a freezer. Should I carry stop rot in my bag for occasions like this? Also is there any thing you can do in the field to save a bird if you know it may be a while before it is going to get frozen?
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Mine was thawed and frozen a few times causing it to slip.

Best thing to do if you can not freeze right away is skins the bird out and I believe then salt. Idk if spraying with stop rot will help. Regardless you have to keep them cool so a cooler and on ice is the best, but be sure they are not submerged in water.
fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:56 pm

Only problem with salted skins is that you have to skin everything, i.e. heads, wings, legs and remove as much fat as possible before salting and I'm no talking about sprinkling a little table salt either! Then before mounting them it's got to be well rehydrating which can be a pain also. Also a lot of guys make a mess of skinning causing more work and for one I'd rather skin the birds they way I want them skinned. Unless you are going to the end of the earth, like Russia or Africa, getting them cooled down and frozen is your best bet.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:24 pm

So stop rot would be useless. Could you carry some dawn and wash the bird? Could borax help at all if you put it around the vent. I have a purpose behind this madness we may go tundra swan hunting and I would like to bring one home and we would probably be staying at a hotel
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:31 pm

If you are going with a guide he should have freezer facilities if he is any kind of guide at all. If not carry a large, and I mean large, cooler and buy some dry ice when you reach your destination. A bird in a cooler with dry ice will freeze over a day or so if unopened. You can get dry ice at a lot of big truck stops. Also some hotels that cater to waterfowl hunters have freezers that they might let you store a well bagged bird in. Check on that before you go to find out.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:56 pm

Alright thanks he isn't really a guide he is just a friend so maybe we can use his freezer.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:25 pm

When we went to NY we just kept birds on ice. They were in a plastic bag. They went 3 days with out freezing and just staying cold with no issues. Again like Pat said the salt thing is if you have no choice.
fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Postby duxrus » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:35 pm

The main thing is to keep them dry. No matter if cold or not a bird floating around in water is a recipe for slippage. Bacteria just loves to grow in nasty bloody water. Dry ice or the new ice packs that last a very long time are 1000 x better than plain ol ice.

People are always leaving birds in their frig for days and even a week before getting them to where they go. Apparently they skipped Biology 101 or they would understand that things start decaying the second they stop breathing :fingerhead:

Since the head and vent areas are usually the first to slip I suggest applying generous amounts of Dawn to each to keep bacteria issues from ever starting. I do this on all BIG birds that take a full day or longer to thaw.
duxrus
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Fri May 02, 2014 12:04 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:No this was a different kind of rotten.. There's a difference between smelly old unthawed duck and rotting flesh. I normally do pretty good with the smell. But this was pretty bad. Caught myself having to walk away from it a few times.

Got a few redheads in the mail and finally smelt what you are talking about she was in the middle stages of slipping along with the two cans and the two other redheads. :fingerhead: :crying: I was alone and literally was thinking what is that rotten smell. It propably wasn't as bad as yours but I injected them all with denatured alcohol. Is there anything else I should do? Sorry for bringing this old thread back up was just curious.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum