Duck Hunting Forum banner

Geo Caching

31K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  LaRedneck 
#1 ·
Are there any others here that love to do this? For me, it's what I hunt when waterfowl season is out.

#2 ·
I definitely did it hardcore for a while - still do it some if i'm in a new place. I've foudn that its just not as big in some places. In MN/WI, I've done 20 in a day - here they are much fewer than that. for that reason I have probably searched for 10 in the past year. Great way to learn to use a GPS though!
-Erik

#7 ·
lol ive been everywhere....geocaching? you go around places? dang......i messed that up..lol

#9 ·
NHDuckHunter said:
I've been once, but I have found 3 while out hunting. Twice I was with someone that had no idea what they were.
Two years ago I got my second deer of the year while geocaching - had to get a roadkill permit from a suburban police officer who was wet behind the ears. Then there was the whole business with the fact that he had to... dispatch the injured thing... needless to say a greenhorn with an MP-5 and a fear of paperwork made for an interesting story (we had to straddle the deer and finish it since good ol' annie oakley couldnt hack it). A little different than finding them while hunting - I guess I found hunting while geocaching.
-Erik

#10 ·
I'd like to do it, its just rare around here. I'm only person I know that owns a gps...

#14 ·
Dustin07 said:
I'm thinking about picking up a Magellan sportrak and learning how to geocache. main reason is to find new lakes that have no trails for fishing, but also I thought it would get me into more ducks, turkey, and possibly other game down the road.
SOrry it took a while to notice this. I've found a number of great hunting locations while geocaching. I dont do it as much as I did a couple years back, but the out of the way places yield a lot of good possibilities.
-Erik

#16 ·
in its most basic form, someone hides a container, logs the coordinates and shares them with someone else. The most common location for this is www.geocaching.com - after marking the coordinates of a hidden cache, a searcher loads them into their GPS receiver. Then, they go look for it. Sounds easy, but due to signal strength, and other errors, its not a slam dunk on finding it. Its basically a high tech treasure hunt.

I really don't do it much anymore myself, but I recommend it for new GPS users. its a great way to learn waypoint marking, navigation to an unknown point, and has the potential to teach other concepts like projecting waypoints. For a real challenge, doing it with a map and compass is good skill building too.
-Erik

#17 ·
i was about to ask what geocaching was, but now i know, thanks to that last post. it sounds like something i would REALLY enjoy. somebody help a newbie out. what kind of equipment setup would be good for a beginner? if i remember right, i have an old garmin e-trex laying around. is that enough to get me started?

#19 ·
I have had a blast finding caches, my personal best in one day is 32. this of course was on a roadtrip day, so we were in a new place and there were lots of caches to find. it is the absolute best way for someone new to a GPS to learn how to use it. also when you are in a new town it helps a "tourist" to find some of the local spots. try it out, it can be a load of fun, or frustrating as hell.
JR

#26 ·
eXporist 310 _ I just got this GPS and did a review for another site but I think it would be pretty good for Geo Caching even though it sometimes takes a little while to track satellites it will do so in thick woods.

I really did like the look of this unit and the fit of the unit in my hand. I loved the display and how detailed it could be depending on where you were. It is an extremely accurate unit once it tracks the satellites. I would certainly recommend this product to people who have owned GPS in the past. If you have never used a GPS this unit would be a very difficult unit to start with. Those who are generally adept at using technology may not find this unit that difficult to use but with the lack of directions that come with the unit and the counter-intuitive display and menus I don't think that I could recommend this unit for a first timer. The unit does not come with a lanyard but it does come with all the cables needed to load new maps and it also comes with a year of membership for the website which I have not yet visited. I am looking forward to using it more when my next season starts but due to the lack of time I had this unit before hunting season ended I did not get to put it through all of its paces. I have given this product more stars if it were more user friendly.

PM me if you have questions about this unit. Certainly if you are planning to buy one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.