So I want to buy a gun

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:55 am

How about a Cooper Rifle. My father finally broke down and bought one last year, and he's extreamly happy with it. Ive only shot it once and was able to put 5 shots under a dime. He shot his best group the other day, all 5 in the same hole, so he says. 100 yds, .223 cal.
As far as building a gun, I would agree with the rest of the folks on here. I've never built one but my dad has and he's more proud of that then most of his collection. Little Rem 660 in .350 Rem Mag
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:35 am

cluckmeister wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:Have you considered building a rifle? I have alot of rifles but the one I take the most pride in is a Mauser that a friend helped me build. Really, you can do most of the work yourself. Only part I paid to have done was the drill & tap for the scope mounts, but my buddy had the blueing tanks and a lathe to set the headspacing, so I saved a few bucks there. Just had Douglas deep chamber one of their barrels for 7x57mm (wanted a Mauser rifle in a Mauser chambering)and put a Winchester Featherweight contour on it. Used a semi inletted Boyds JRS stock with a XX wood upgrade and sanded the heck out of it to trim it up and add a slight palm swell to the grip. My buddy is really good at stock fitting and he helped me with a few things here and there so now it points like a fitted shotgun. I just love that rifle.
1395703167492.jpg

That's a beautiful rifle and the wood is gorgeous

he should have a leather strap put to him for laying that thing in the grass.... lol very nice Work
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:07 am

18javelin wrote: he should have a leather strap put to him for laying that thing in the grass.... lol very nice Work

:lol3: I'm sure it got treated much worse by the guy who carried it in WWII. :thumbsup:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:29 am

So Sunday I was at Cabelas , They had a Kimber 84L in .270 and an Model 70 in .308 . New Kimber and not a Pre-64 but an older Winchester. I'm even more torn then ever. Both are really nice guns beautiful wood smooth bolts. I'm having a hard time deciding.
And a Desert Eagle that's one great big ol' pistol
I mean .50 caliber made by badazz Hebrews
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:13 am

Pre 64's are great guns. I built my 270 long range gun from that action. It is sweet shooting and one of the few bolt guns you can get to the pin if you have to without any hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby KRB » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:17 am

Not cheap bot the Blaser R93 is a laser beam.
KRB
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:00 am

I have a pre '64 mod 70 in and a newer model 70 (they were offered in both push feed and crf, mine's crf like a pre '64) that was made shortly before Winchester stopped building them at the New Haven plat. Honestly the newer rifle is every bit as smooth and well built as the pre '64.
clampdaddy
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole