1/4 tarred line for main line?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

1/4 tarred line for main line?

Postby duckhuntMN » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:48 pm

This is hard to find. Maybe I'm looking in wrong spots.
New to diver hunting just got 8 dz Bluebills and 1 dz cans and 1 dz Buffalo head. Any help with how to set up long lines would be good. All shore hunting. I rigged up 2 dozen Bluebills as singles the rest for long lines on 3'drors on long line snaps 400# mono.
duckhuntMN
hunter
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:21 pm


Re: 1/4 tarred line for main line?

Postby KRB » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:58 am

Check out Doctari long lines. Quality stuff.
KRB
hunter
 
Posts: 1683
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: South Shore LI

Re: 1/4 tarred line for main line?

Postby duckhuntMN » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:08 am

Ya checked there he's out of stock. I'm on a email list
But trying to check how may have it other than them.
Got some of my snaps there real good stuff
duckhuntMN
hunter
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: 1/4 tarred line for main line?

Postby KRB » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:20 am

You got time til the shootin starts again.
KRB
hunter
 
Posts: 1683
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: South Shore LI

Re: 1/4 tarred line for main line?

Postby toolmaker » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:22 pm

look up commercial long line fishing supply companies. many are on the northwest coast

they can sell you 600 -1800 feet of tarred ground line(mainline).....for less than $200.

you don't want 1/4" dia line...although it is really nice....many long line clips wont go on, or wont go on easily..

7/32 dia is the largest I would go for, if I were buying more mainline.

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
User avatar
toolmaker
hunter
 
Posts: 2865
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:19 am
Location: only been to Cromwell once

Re: 1/4 tarred line for main line?

Postby KRB » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:39 pm

#120 main line approx. 3/16ths 1050lbs test. Doctari makes the best clips.
KRB
hunter
 
Posts: 1683
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: South Shore LI

Re: 1/4 tarred line for main line?

Postby duckhuntMN » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:05 pm

Thanks for the good info. Think I'll get some 120# tarred line she what that looks like.and yes they do hand the best snaps!
duckhuntMN
hunter
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: 1/4 tarred line for main line?

Postby Krete » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:54 am

I run 3/8" paracord for all of my longlines, and it works great. 3' drops, 140' mainline. 20' from weight to first decoy, 12 decoys spaced 8' apart, and another 20' from the last decoy to the other weight. You'll have to adjust this depending on where you hunt to compensate for depth.

-Nick
Krete
hunter
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:53 pm

Re: 1/4 tarred line for main line?

Postby toolmaker » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:38 pm

Krete wrote:I run 3/8" paracord for all of my longlines, and it works great. 3' drops, 140' mainline. 20' from weight to first decoy, 12 decoys spaced 8' apart, and another 20' from the last decoy to the other weight. You'll have to adjust this depending on where you hunt to compensate for depth.

-Nick


Id love to see the long line clips you are using that go over 3/8th dia line.

the line must be super soft.....

or you are tieing the drops on and they stay permanent

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
User avatar
toolmaker
hunter
 
Posts: 2865
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:19 am
Location: only been to Cromwell once

Re: 1/4 tarred line for main line?

Postby Krete » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:40 am

toolmaker wrote:
Krete wrote:I run 3/8" paracord for all of my longlines, and it works great. 3' drops, 140' mainline. 20' from weight to first decoy, 12 decoys spaced 8' apart, and another 20' from the last decoy to the other weight. You'll have to adjust this depending on where you hunt to compensate for depth.

-Nick


Id love to see the long line clips you are using that go over 3/8th dia line.

the line must be super soft.....

or you are tieing the drops on and they stay permanent

the tool


I'm a loop kinda guy! Never have to worry about spacing, it stays consistent no matter what decoys are on the mainline. I was getting sick and tired of flimsy 1/4" stuff, 3/8" is just about perfect. That said, I never really switch out decoys on my lines unless one gets shot up. I have over 30 longlines setup with a variety of species, and just put in the boat what needs to be used for the day.

All decoys are attached with carabiners, and stay in slotted bags. Found an ebay lot with 500 carabiners for $60.

-Nick
Krete
hunter
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:53 pm

Re: 1/4 tarred line for main line?

Postby duckhuntMN » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:57 pm

Nick
Wow sounds like u got one hell of a good deal there.I'm not quite that set up think I'd need a 30' boat to use all them decoys sounds fun. Thanks for the info
duckhuntMN
hunter
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: 1/4 tarred line for main line?

Postby Krete » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:20 am

duckhuntMN wrote:Nick
Wow sounds like u got one hell of a good deal there.I'm not quite that set up think I'd need a 30' boat to use all them decoys sounds fun. Thanks for the info


I would never run three hundred decoys on one hunt, haha. We usually run between 6 and 10 longlines on a given hunt with singles mixed, depending on conditions and the species being hunted.

I'm running a 21' Starcraft Mariner and a UFO layout at the moment, and this system works well for me. It'll take a little practice and some experience running longlines to figure out the setup you prefer.

-Nick
Krete
hunter
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:53 pm


Return to Diver Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests