Western LI Goose Season Input

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Western LI Goose Season Input

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:43 am

I'm looking at the Anticipated Framework for the 2014-2015 waterfowl seasons and trying to take into account all of your concerns. I think I have most bases covered, but for those of you in the western zone for geese, I need some additional input. The framework says that you can have a season 107 days long between October 1 and March 10 (no September season in that zone) and that you can split the season into three segments. Taking into account all the input I've gotten so far, I'm considering a regular season (ducks) of Nov 22 - Nov 30 and Dec 6 - Jan 25. So, the question is, how would YOU like to see the Canada goose season in the western zone? Would you like more days early or late? I normally don't hunt that zone, but I've had some conversations with some who do. In the past, they have expressed concerns about having the season go so late as to disrupt the breeding pairs. What are your thoughts? Remember, this is YOUR season.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Re: Western LI Goose Season Input

Postby sssurfertim » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:10 pm

October season was not favorable or even hunted by most. Fishing and bowhunting are in full swing at that time too. I am in favor of it going until march 10th though, miss the sept season a lot but that is gone. So more days late would be better for geese. I am really diggin those duck dates! Hope they work out.
No island leaft for Islanders like me.
sssurfertim
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:15 pm

I can tell you that it's amazing how within days of the end of the season, I saw pairs of geese hooking up....Early season is rough because there are days where you are literally slapping mosquitoes and dealing with jet skis.....I personally am just not in the mind set yet at that point. The bass are around and the water is still warm for surfing.
Any chance on getting a 3rd brant?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:12 pm

This is pretty much what I'm hearing from everyone. I got a call this evening from a guy in Glen Cove who said the same thing. And everyone pretty much had the same concerns. I find the concern about boating traffic to be a tipping point. Still a couple of weeks before the meeting so I'll keep gathering input. I'll let everyone know what the consensus is before the meeting.

Slack, regarding the brant, the task force doesn't have anything to say about bag limits. That's strictly the feds, as I understand it. From what I can gather, it won't be finalized until the species counts on the nesting grounds. The way it sounds, though, it'll be two a day.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:32 am

Frank Lopez wrote: I find the concern about boating traffic to be a tipping point.
Frank

What do you mean?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:36 am

Slack Tide wrote:
Frank Lopez wrote: I find the concern about boating traffic to be a tipping point.
Frank

What do you mean?

It's one of the most common complaints. Nearly everyone I've communicated with has express the same concern. I realize that their concerns are pretty much about effect boat traffic has on the geese, but I can also see a safety concern. That safety concern might be the "angle" needed to persuade the task force to abandon the October hunt and use the days further back in the season.

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:11 am

Frank Lopez wrote:It's one of the most common complaints. Nearly everyone I've communicated with has express the same concern. I realize that their concerns are pretty much about effect boat traffic has on the geese, but I can also see a safety concern. That safety concern might be the "angle" needed to persuade the task force to abandon the October hunt and use the days further back in the season.
Frank

Gotcha....that is a good point....you can also tell them that another concern is the futility of hunting during that time due to the Cannoli Navy still out zipping through the flats and ditches on their Jet Skis...if boat traffic pushes birds into the back sloughs....then the skis come through the creeks at 80mph pushing the birds out....then they are gone.
Also, we are not exactly a welcomed bunch...I'm not cowering to the public..but it does us no good to have some family on their Bayliner cruising along when we open up on a pair of geese....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting