Turkey Season and a Late Spring

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Postby luie b » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:32 pm

Is it just me or is anyone else thinking spring is really gonna be cutting it close to the turkey season opener in the north zone? We barely have any green sprigs in the grass already and I've yet to see a strutter or hear any gobbles while at the farm working. I'm sure they'll be gobbling by the opener on the 14th but there probably won't be any green on the brush. Looks like my usual bushwhacking technique of sneaking up on gobblers might not work at first until my 4th and 5th season permits. How you guys feel about this?
luie b
hunter

Re: Turkey Season and a Late Spring

Postby brickgw » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:35 pm

I got a 5th season permit and I'm actually kind of glad...it just seems a little early yet but who knows.
brickgw
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Last week I saw another flock of 20+ along a tree line. Didn't seem they had any intentions of producing with some hot looking hens. I refuse to hunt gobblers in IL. I pay a neighboring state instead. But, I quit hunting gobblers from being impatient. Best of luck.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:42 pm

I heard some gobbling this morning @ 7. Took the the bosses truck in for service and on the way back there was @ 20 or so in the cornfield. About 9 0clock.
Boocephus
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:40 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Last week I saw another flock of 20+ along a tree line. Didn't seem they had any intentions of producing with some hot looking hens. I refuse to hunt gobblers in IL. I pay a neighboring state instead. But, I quit hunting gobblers from being impatient. Best of luck.

It's not that the turkey population in a lot of places of Illinois is bad, but the way the state conducts the season really is strange because it's really a shot in the dark picking a weekend in the spring to hunt 4 months ahead of time because there's a pretty good chance of some weekends getting rained out. I wish they shortened the season by about a week and cut down the yearly bag limit to 2 instead of 3 turkeys and then just opened it up so that you could hunt whenever you wanted on your permit within the entire turkey season. Kind of like how it works with landowner tags but open that system up to anybody. I buy 3 permits every year (the max) but I never have any intention of killing 3 birds I just want 3 weekends of opportunity to get my bird and if I'm lucky I might chase my second bird with my bow to up the challenge. I got 2nd, 4th, and 5th season this year so I have an ok chance of getting lucky!
luie b
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:51 pm

luie b wrote:
KillerKowalski wrote:Last week I saw another flock of 20+ along a tree line. Didn't seem they had any intentions of producing with some hot looking hens. I refuse to hunt gobblers in IL. I pay a neighboring state instead. But, I quit hunting gobblers from being impatient. Best of luck.

It's not that the turkey population in a lot of places of Illinois is bad, but the way the state conducts the season really is strange because it's really a shot in the dark picking a weekend in the spring to hunt 4 months ahead of time because there's a pretty good chance of some weekends getting rained out. I wish they shortened the season by about a week and cut down the yearly bag limit to 2 instead of 3 turkeys and then just opened it up so that you could hunt whenever you wanted on your permit within the entire turkey season. Kind of like how it works with landowner tags but open that system up to anybody. I buy 3 permits every year (the max) but I never have any intention of killing 3 birds I just want 3 weekends of opportunity to get my bird and if I'm lucky I might chase my second bird with my bow to up the challenge. I got 2nd, 4th, and 5th season this year so I have an ok chance of getting lucky!

Luie, if you are not hunting on rainy days, you are missing some of the best turkey hunting my friend. :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:52 pm

I agree which is why I pay a flat rate for a tag and have three full weeks in one of the highest turkey population/harvest ratio counties in the state. It's normal there to see 15+ toms fighting over the hen. Owner permission is a lot easier also.

Cujo, is right. Best time to scout also. They lose their ears and venture out quite often.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:26 pm

See that's what I wish Illinois would do. Like a 25 day season and you just buy a permit then hunt within that season. They made it into this long complicated process to shoot a turkey. Its so hard to explain to new turkey hunters how to apply for a tag.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
luie b
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:29 pm

State of Illinois seems to have difficulty getting anything right.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting