need help from the CI crew

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

need help from the CI crew

Postby ohioboy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:03 am

I am looking for a word to describe average students-not scholars, not the failures. BUT I am looking to frame average in a positive light as these are students who have not been average to this point.

I am going to be running a new program for these students and need a name for it. If anyone can come up with it, it will be you all.

Thanks.

ohio
ohioboy
hunter

Re: need help from the CI crew

Postby vincentpa » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:36 am

average is well.. average.

How bout saying average in multiple words in a round about way. "Students who find themselves in the mean."
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:57 am

Yeah. Pretty hard to find a flattering single word for "average". The only one that comes to mind is "employable". Like Vince said,you may want to shoot for a phrase.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:29 am

clampdaddy wrote:Yeah. Pretty hard to find a flattering single word for "average". The only one that comes to mind is "employable". Like Vince said,you may want to shoot for a phrase.

thus my asking. drink up and see what you guys can come up.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:56 pm

So you're looking for a word that describes previously crappy students who've managed to bring their performance to "acceptable"?

Par.

Why not focus on the work they've done, rather than where it landed them? Like others said, there isn't much to be said of the middle, but there are plenty of words to describe those who move up the ladder, regardless of starting position.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:24 pm

So, if the premise is that these are capable kids who have not had school success for whatever reason, perhaps poor parenting, poverty, difficult living environment, or no personal role models; then what is the hook to get their interest and participation? What will interest them? What do they enjoy? What do they get excited about?

I think the answer lies in those directions. Might Google "after school programs" for ideas.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:25 pm

vincentpa wrote:average is well.. average.

How bout saying average in multiple words in a round about way. "Students who find themselves in the mean."

Mean Students has a ring to it!
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:24 pm

dudejcb wrote:
vincentpa wrote:average is well.. average.

Mean Students has a ring to it!

:lol:

I thought about that after I first posted.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Nabs » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:29 pm

Improvement students, they are better than what they were.
Nabs
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:22 pm

dudejcb wrote:So, if the premise is that these are capable kids who have not had school success for whatever reason, perhaps poor parenting, poverty, difficult living environment, or no personal role models; then what is the hook to get their interest and participation? What will interest them? What do they enjoy? What do they get excited about?

I think the answer lies in those directions. Might Google "after school programs" for ideas.

yes to the first part. i am teaching them next year. they want a name for the group.

"mean students" is just confusing.

yes, ggtb, acceptable is pretty much it.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:50 pm

middle class students
boney fingers
hunter

Postby cartervj » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:55 pm

copacetic
kosher
unobjectionable
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby Me and Black Betty » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:50 am

Don't focus on where they are or where they have been, but rather where you want them to go. Something catchy that the libs will buy into like "pathway students- on the path toward success.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Whoa, Black Betty BAM-BA-LAM
Me and Black Betty
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:27 am

"GAINING"
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:54 am

High Potentials.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:21 pm

Me and Black Betty wrote:Don't focus on where they are or where they have been, but rather where you want them to go. Something catchy that the libs will buy into like "pathway students- on the path toward success.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

pathways is already taken.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:25 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:High Potentials.

potential is a good one. kids have it, just dont tap it.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:24 pm

ohioboy wrote:

Jim has heard that ever since he started smoking weed, which was probably in the fourth grade.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:18 pm

vincentpa wrote:
ohioboy wrote:

Jim has heard that ever since he started smoking weed, which was probably in the fourth grade.

I'd wager he got a taste from the womb.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:27 pm

vincentpa wrote:
ohioboy wrote:

Actually 5th grade, vp, I used to have restraint..."Jim, you've got so much potential...blah, blah, blah..." Boy, did I ever prove them wrong! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:35 pm

beretta24 wrote:
vincentpa wrote:
ohioboy wrote:

I'd wager he got a taste from the womb.

That's a little below the belt, beretta. Your statement renders you suitable as a poster child for the average conservative. Which is why I generally just don't like them as people. Due to an inate inability to think for themselves, they continually resort to personal attacks in an attempt to justify their self-declared superiority. I think we should have the "Special Elections" for conservatives just like we do the "Special Olympics" for certain segments of our population. They could then declare themselves something, get a ribbon, have their election rain confetti on them, and get to cut the White House lawn for a year.
By the way....I ran into your wife in Vegas a while back. You need to teach her some marketing skills. $20 a whack is going to wear her out before she's older than she already looks. :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:43 am

Wow, did I inadvertently hit a nerve? It wasn't intended as a personal attack, any more than what Vinny said, but per your usual form you overly react...have a nice day Jim.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:54 am

beretta24 wrote:Wow, did I inadvertently hit a nerve? It wasn't intended as a personal attack, any more than what Vinny said, but per your usual form you overly react...have a nice day Jim.

Reardless of whether you hit a nerve or not, beretta, parent's characters, children's disabilities, and wive's appearances are over the line in my book. Much more so than some silly "bad word". But, being a conservative, you'll never understand the difference. Until it's directed at you and/or your's.......then it's an unholy travesty of all that's good and decent and American and blah, blah, blah. The ignorant jingoism of the conservative lemming with all the insight of the speaking parrot.
Last edited by Glimmerjim on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:57 am

You're projecting what you want to be true again. I took no offense to what you said.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:02 am

beretta24 wrote:You're projecting what you want to be true again. I took no offense to what you said.

Of course not. It was obviously just an example of what I was explaining with no personal projection implied. Even a conservative should be able to see that. Well, the Limbaugh, Hannity and Beck acolytes excepted, of course.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum