What's in our future???

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

What's in our future???

Postby duckdog » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:19 pm

Hey guy's/gal's I have been hearing alot latley about the hunting population decling all over the U.S. this disturb's me greatly, as I'm sure it doe's everybody else except the anti-hunters. I try to make it a point to take my kid's out hunting, fishing, or just the outdoor's every chance I can, also I try and get my neice's/nephew's, and any other kid's I can out of the house,and away from the video games, when ever I can. I have all but written off deer hunting for my self, so I can take a kid lumbering through the wood's trying to get there first deer, I will have to wait for that next monster buck for a while.( that's OK with me).I know in my area the local 4-H group has started a shooting club, what a wonderful idea. What can we do to start getting our youth more interested in the outdoor's, fishing derby's, local consversation programs,naturte hike's, bird watching, take any kid hunting with you, or take them target shooting( kids love this). If your local outdoorclub(DNR, DU, Delta Waterfowl, Pheasant's Forever, ect.) don't have something for the youth to particapate in kick them square in the ***. This is what we need in the next 10 year's along with trying to improve our nesting, with out more duck's, and more of the next generation to hunt the duck's, waterfowl hunting is going to come to a halt! I do not want that as I'm sure nobody else on here doe's. Let's hear what everybody's got to say about this??? Get involved
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby speckslayer » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:48 pm

I completely agree with you. my daughter will be 8 years old this coming season and it is time to take her on her first duck. She enjoys anything in the outdoors be it training dogs, painting decoys, goin out back and shooting skeet ( although she can't hit many yet) fishing, you name it she'll do it. It really excites me to share my passion with her and to see her get so much enjoyment out of it. My son is only 2 but already his favorite things are ducks and dogs. I can only hope to do all of the right things as not to turn them away from the sport that i love so much.
three shots, three kills!!!!

goose huntin SOLA style
speckslayer
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:07 pm

I know what you mean about seeing your kid's prosper in the outdoor's. My 11 year old get's so excited if he shoot's a duck, or a rabbit, or even if he doe's somewhat well shooting claybird's. It does'nt matter how small of an acomplishment it is, it's alway's positive. My youngest boy who is 1 1/2 now his first word's were not mom or dad but dog-dog, I loved it, my wife did'nt share the same reaction though :laughing: Last year my oldest boy did'nt get a deer in shotgun season, I was afraid this was going to defer hik from going back out again from the disapointment of not bagging a deer, but instead it only made him more determined to go. He was almost crying when season ended, now he's got a score to settle next year is what he told me. Know how matter how your children do at something it has to make us as parent's so proud to see them keep at it.
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby speckslayer » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:51 am

let me clarify a little about my daughter towards the end of last season i had a bunch of geese that took the the crawfish ponds behind my house so i would take her and her 7 month old pup for some afternoon hunts. it was awesome watching 2 first timers getting so excited. unfortunatly her red rider bb gun is'nt very effective at bringing down any geese but she did'nt care. as long as i would say take 'em she was right next to me shooting. not to mention how proud she was of her pup who would handle those geese like a seasoned pro. did'nt take long for her to talk me into a youth model 20 guage so she can knock some down next year. looking forward to youth weekend so we can get out there together. :mrgreen:
three shots, three kills!!!!

goose huntin SOLA style
speckslayer
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology