Gators and Dogs

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, Ichabod97, BigBend

Gators and Dogs

Postby SpanielBoom » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:55 pm

Those of you who hunt with dogs, what are your requirements, precautions, etc. when hunting with your dog? I basically never send dogs into Iamonia, Jackson, etc., but I always see folks with them. Coast hunting seems fine as long as you're aware of oyster beds.

This time of year through summer training, I also only use dog training ponds (you know, like Lake Ella).

Am I being overly cautious? I don't know if I would ever recover from seeing my dog getting snapped up by an alligator.
SpanielBoom
hunter

Re: Gators and Dogs

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:18 pm

I'm just assuming the spaniel part of your name is referring to a boykin...if that's the case, I would consider using him once temps have been down/near freezing for a few nights, and not breaking upper 40's, low 50's during the day. That's on the local lakes in water that's deeper than he can stand (other than Talquin and Seminole, I wouldn't put a dog in the water there period.) Ponds, creeks, etc. are entirely up to you.

The coast has more hazards to consider than just oyster bars. Stingrays, shells, and of course...sharks. I've never heard of a dog getting attacked while hunting in this area, but that's not to say it couldn't happen.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:39 am

I've used my lab on Seminole, the coast and at PCS........but with LOTS of caution. I have seen tons of gators at all 3 places. We've had active gators in our spread in mid to late January when it's been in the 30s. As in active......I'm referring to them eating ducks out of the decoys.

I feel safer in shallow water and I rarely let them retrieve over 50 yards.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby dogyak » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:22 pm

seminole_sigmanu wrote:I've used my lab on Seminole, the coast and at PCS........but with LOTS of caution. I have seen tons of gators at all 3 places. We've had active gators in our spread in mid to late January when it's been in the 30s. As in active......I'm referring to them eating ducks out of the decoys.

I feel safer in shallow water and I rarely let them retrieve over 50 yards.

X2 with Seminole . Like to add that I won't have the dog retrieve in deep water . PCS has gators in the deep canals , but once pass the canals , haven't seen any in the wetland and besides the water is about knee deep . You just have to watch it . I never use my dog during early teal season .
Attachments
Aggie with Bluebill (253x294).jpg
Aggie with Bluebill (253x294).jpg (84.92 KiB) Viewed 900 times
dogyak
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:12 pm

I use my English cocker at the coast sometimes, but I've found that since they have smaller frames, and I have a bigger English cocker, they have trouble marking with the taller marsh grass and get disoriented easily if the water is choppy. I have never used him on lakes in town. He's primarily a dove dog now
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:49 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:get disoriented easily if the water is choppy.

I've had that issue with marking at the coast, especially dealing with current and tides. A 30 yard retrieve can turn into a 75 yard one.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby SpanielBoom » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:26 am

PCS, as in PCS Phosphate? I've never seen a dog in that stuff...

We've hunted Seminole for forever and my uncle used to put his big lab in every corner of that lake, but I agree, I tend to avoid Seminole, Talquin, Micc., etc. Have any of you seen big gators around Hickory Mound?

I have an American Water Spaniel. He's relatively competent with blind retrieves, but I haven't tried the coast with him yet. Good thought on getting disoriented, that had not occurred to me.
Attachments
photo (1).JPG
SpanielBoom
hunter

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:24 pm

At PCS

Gotta love my brown dogs!

I used my lab in pond 6 once. I remember a guy use to a golden in the corner of pond 8. He drive a white Chevy and used a momarsh. Damn dog was grey by seasons end. I saw guys using dogs at PCS during teal season.

Nothing like spaniels......even the funny looking ones with tails.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting