winchester sx2

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

winchester sx2

Postby ducksandfish » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:52 pm

this subject may be played out but what about the sx2?i am seriously considering the 3 1/2 for next season.anybody i talk to says yes but can any one tell me of any faults or down falls?have hunted with the mk2 2 3/4 for years as well as my grandfather using winchester shotguns.so any input?
made a move to the island,enjoy the many opportunities to fish and hunt.i have a new brother in law who enjoys the same passions,life is good.
ducksandfish
Newb

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:57 am

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby LUV2DUChunt » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:41 am

Used mine for one full season and love it, no problems and it fits me well. My friend got one shortly after me and also has had zero problems. :getdown
Jason

Get out and Hunt!!! Then youll understand what an addiction is. We all know about it but can't explain it.
LUV2DUChunt
hunter

SX2

Postby vacuum6 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:22 pm

no problems. found a used one for $525. just came back from nebraska on snow goose hunt. i am very pleased...this gun has a ramped up vent rib which is 3/8" wide. the sight picture fits me perfectly. most guns have flat ribs coming off the receiver and are narrower. even the browning gold has the flat rib but was designed by the same engineers. the early browning golds were just beefed up 3" guns...they got all the bugs out before they came out with the SX2. i have a Tom Morton recoil reducer in the magazine tube and a limbsaver recoil pad. the 3.5 inch shells are tolerable and the 3" shells are no problem at all.
vacuum6
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:09 pm

it will jam in weather under 20 degerees if it is snowing, u use it to bust ice, and the load it with shells u just got wet. and that is only if u have not cleaned it in a month or two... i litteraly filled mine with mud during woodduck season.. i just dunked it a few times and it shot fine.. i,v had mine for scense the first cristmas after they came out and i still use it.. i have not even considered changing guns... the rib is different , but shoot a case of skeet and u will never use another gun for ducks or geese.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby ducksandfish » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:11 pm

thank you for all the input,was looking for downfalls but didn't recieve one so i am sold,any suggestions on having the 2 3/4 mk 2 rechambered to 3 1/2?
made a move to the island,enjoy the many opportunities to fish and hunt.i have a new brother in law who enjoys the same passions,life is good.
ducksandfish
Newb

winchester super x2

Postby huntingiowa » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:59 am

I just bought one on monday....i am so pumped to try this guy out.

Tom Morton recoil reducer in the magazine tube and a limbsaver recoil pad......(what is a reducer in the magazin?????) This sounds like a good thing...any details please. Also what about the Dura Touch system??? Good or bad...anyone have two cents on this one?? Thanks.
Be thankful that we can enjoy our outdoors...
huntingiowa
hunter

Postby LUV2DUChunt » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:26 am

I love the dura touch, but be careful if it is against your check when firing your ga=onna feel it. I had to learn to try to keep it off. I hope that makes some sense.
Jason

Get out and Hunt!!! Then youll understand what an addiction is. We all know about it but can't explain it.
LUV2DUChunt
hunter

Postby huntingiowa » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:36 am

what do you mean??? You always have the cheek right next to it??? why would it feel worse??? The dura tough is so soft...thats why i bought one. Does it cold and really hard??
huntingiowa
hunter

tom morton recoil reducer

Postby vacuum6 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:52 am

the tom morton recoil reducer fits in the end of the magazine tube...in place of a plug. you will have to read about it on his web site... there is a lot of mumbo jumbo physics type stuff on the site...static weight vs moving weight, etc. anyway, i think you can hit the web site with a search for "tom morton and Co. " pretty cheap....$29.95 . i did a before and after thing since it is 30 seconds to install...like putting in a magazine plug. there is a diference but it is not nite and day, but much better than a mercury sloshing thing. weighs 6-7 ounces. if you can't hit the site. i still have the box and his address and phone number. the limbsaver recoil pad....just personal preference...i have a couple of them...they don't make one for the SX2 but there is one that is the right size...just have to drill new holes on the back of the pad to line up with the holes on the butt. let me know if you can't find the morton site.
vacuum6
hunter

Postby LUV2DUChunt » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:17 pm

What I mean is that the dura touch is kinda tacky feeling and it at least with me, I have it so close to my cheek that on occassions when shooting it will pull your cheek when it kicks. Maybe Im goofy, if that helps by what I mean? Kinda hard to explain.
Jason

LUV2DUChunt
hunter

Postby huntingiowa » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:37 pm

Hey.....LUV2DUChunt

Do you see that gun slow on the cycle?? Any problems shooting the 2 3/4 low loads???
huntingiowa
hunter

Postby LUV2DUChunt » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:33 pm

Hinestly I have never shot 2 3/4 out of it, but 3 inch worked with no problems. I have another gun for the small loads. Sorry for the lack of help.
Jason

LUV2DUChunt
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum