NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Okay

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:22 pm

Says we have 1157 members and only 100 replies to this. Some of you guys are holding out on us. Don't be afraid, tell us who you are and where you are from. I'll post up again. I am Matt Zumbrunn from Neosho Rapids, KS. Been duck hunting since I was 12 and am almost 20. Self educated duck hunter which is good cause I live .5 miles from a refuge. Hunted every day 2 years ago, and about half the days last year. Thank God they gave us a split season this year. I get out of school middle of December with an Associates Degree in Fire Science. Someone else post up.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Grinder » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:18 am

Hello everyone.

I'm new here........so be gentle.

Grinder
Grinder
hunter

I'm new

Postby redeyed » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:49 pm

Hey guys what happening?
My name is Marc started hunting ducks the end of last years season head long full boar this year and loving it!
Oh yeah I live in Maine and I hunt Merrymeetting Bay I can see a long life of duck hunting ahead of me but I have to tell ya right now... I dont feel as though I'm doing anything right. My hopes and dreams... a Barnegat Sneak-Box and a 12 ga 3 and a half mag and the ability to call em in effectively.
I currently run a 12 ga 2 3/4 and an old beat up sears canoe I've taken this year a wood duck drake (very kewl) 2 green wing teals and a hen mallard. I'm looking for information to help me improve my hunt and would appreciate any advice you could offer!!
Thanks
Last edited by redeyed on Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
do you walk to work or do you take your lunch?
redeyed
hunter

Postby FEARLESS_KILLER » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:00 pm

I'm 15 years of age have hunted with my dad since I was four but didn't actually shoot till I was 12 (legal age) I hunt snows canadas speckles ducks cranes Deer Moose Bear and Elk I been succesfull over the years and purchased a nova and it's been a great gun for me.

I'm from estevan Saskatchewan (Canada) awsome hunting for cranes canadas and mallards teals widgeon gadwall spoon bill and many others not to great for snows and specals however
The day I Wait for is the day I hunt
FEARLESS_KILLER
hunter

Postby dukcracker » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:16 pm

Hello everyone. I'm from central NC and new to the forum. This is a great site with plenty of good advice! I shoot a SBE or a BGH and have had the best luck with Kent shells. I have been duck hunting for four years counting this season and am starting to get a collection of duck stuff!! I have a dozen GHG mallard dekes and half a dozen GHG Woodie dekes and would love some more. I'm working on a call collection mostly DC(no bashing please I think they sound great for the price). I do a little goose hunting, some pond ,creek ,and lake duck hunting and we go to the coast every year for a 4 day hunt usually at Mattamaskeet(awesome hunting). A good friend got me duck hunting to whom I'm forever in debt. I have been a big deer hunter in the past and don't get me wrong I still love it but it is getting harder to turn my bud down on a duck hunt during deer season. The tragedy of such a decision :smile: ! Oh I almost forgot I'm 28 ,married ,and don't have any kids atleast not yet anyways! Happy hunting this season and good luck :thumbsup:
dukcracker
hunter

Postby crankerup » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:42 am

Im from north carolina love to duck and goose hunt. i really enjoy the site great job and good luck. :getdown:
crankerup
hunter

good idea

Postby quackattack007 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:42 am

my name is dillon. I started hunting when i was 12. I am 15 now.. get my drivers license in January! yes! anyway.. i started hunting at a marina. So i got attached to duck and goose hunting. I hunted with a 1960 remington. but just bought a gun on 10/16/04. a mossburg 500 pump. very nice gun. I haven't shotten anything with it yet. :thumbsdown: but hopefully my dad and i get a shot at a duck or goose today after school at pickerel creek. I live in ottawa county Ohio. RIGHT ON LAKE ERIE. so i've got it made with ducks/geese. I recently moved to a farm house, with a farm field. and just started picking up goose hunting in a fresh cut soybean field. i need some tips on that, and some field goose/duck decoys. so if any of you have decoys for sale, or know anywhere online.. (CHEAP) i don't care if they are the best ever. i just need some. if you have any information, just email me or whatever. I'm glad i signed up to this website! its ver nice. :thumbsup: well... i have to get back to working on my computer at school :toofunny: have fun all of you duck hunters! :salude:
quackattack007
Newb

Postby Iowashooter » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:47 am

Brand new to the site. Glad I found you guys. This site is really well done. Looks like some clean fun too. My name is Billy and I am in N. Central Iowa. I am the director of the N. Iowa/S. Minnesota Sports and Recreation Show. I have only been duck hunting for 3 years, this year is my fourth. I have caught the fever you guys all have pretty bad. I never knew waterfowling was such a great time. I have learned so much snooping around here and appreciate all the info given by all you veterans. I am having a good season this year with many geese and some quality ducks. I have shot a few teal, gadwall and some nice greenheads. Goose hunting is my favorite though. Especially in the fields. Watching 500 geese dropping down to land on your belly is so awesome! I shoot my trusty remington 870 express supermagnum. I wish I was into this sport long ago. I would be a better caller then. Practice makes perfect. Thanks again for the great boards!
I'd rather hunt waterfowl - She doesn't understand
Iowashooter
Newb

New waterfowler

Postby O_E_J » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:50 am

Hello, my name is Jeremy. This is my first year waterfowling and boy do I have alot to learn! I am in Salt Lake City Utah and have visted our marshes three times this year. I have a pup yellow lab that I take to do the retrieves of the downed birds and I only shoot at birds within range, not 100 yards in the sky. Right now I pass shoot and jump hunt because I am a foot soldier and have no boat. I am learning duck and goose calls and have some decoys that I am looking forward to trying out in the near future. I like this site and have learned a bunch so far. I look forward to contributing to this great resource.
OEJ
O_E_J
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:46 am

Well I am new to this site, I am a senior at Central Washington University, going to graduate in the spring with a Law Enforcement degree. This is only my second year hunting, so I am still a newby. I have a Remington 870 Super Mag. Looking for some good public/private places I can go around Ellensburg, if any of you know of places. I don't want to drive out to the Potholes after class.
MacAttack
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:32 pm

My name is Keith, ive been duck hunting for 4 years now and im almost 21. I do construction work, mostly remodels and things like that. I shoot a 12 gauge wingmaster, although im getting ready to buy a new berretta xtrema, wich will be sweet. My dog's name is Brew he is a year and a half old chocolate lab. Im stoked the season starts here in 9 more days and I will be slaying the pintails and mallards. I hunt most of the time anywhere in Humboldt county CA but also all over NOR CAL.
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:25 pm

My name is Jacob, I'm 17 and I've been duck & goose hunting since I was about 7 or 8. I hunt in Northwest Tennessee. My number 1 hunting spot is a small flooded timber hole right in the middle of our deer lease. I also hunt open water, flooded fields, corn & bean fields, and the local wma's if that's where the ducks are. I shoot a Remington 870 Super Mag and I've got 4 dz. Flambeau Mag. mallards, 1dz. GHG Pintails, 1dz. GHG green wing teal. Fixin to add some GHG full body Canadas, some shells, and maybe a few floaters. Got a little 10' jonboat I use on the small holes and I use my dad's 14' when I have to go a distance. I'm savin up to get my own though. As for a dog, I haven't had much luck training the one's i've had but I'm not gonna give up.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:43 pm

My name is Mike, been hunting waterfowl since the 60's mainly in Michigan but did get in 5 seasons in Connecticut during the early 80's. Seen a lot of changes, some good, some not over the years. Generally hunt alone (70%), partners have slowly given it up. Shoot a O/U, hunt everywhere from drainage creeks to fields, big and small open water. Favorite ducks are Bluebills but don't see many in my area anymore, actually seeing fewer birds of all types, except Canadians. Like to carve the odd working decoys that you can't buy ~~ Loons, Grebes, Rudies and Hooded Mergansers, they actually help. Varmint hunt, icefish, flyfish for Smallies and 'gills, avid flytyer and reload alot.
Cobra
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:43 pm

hey never really got to this part but i figure i woudl go ahead and let you all in on soem info ... the name is daivd i am 17 and love waterfowling along with other types of hunting... would love to go hunting with anybody near emporia ks to learn so tricks of the trade
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Maryland Hunter

Postby MDGreenhead » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:39 pm

MDGreenhead here. Grew up hunting Grouse and Woodcock in the Adirondacks of upstate NY. Fell in love with hunting ducks on the south end of Lake George, and Lake Champlain. I moved to Maryland in '97 and although it's tougher hunting where everything is private land, there are a lot more ducks! Anywhere you go, duck hunters are the greatest people. Just in 5 years through DU dinners, talking to folks at Bass Pro Shops and at the local boat ramp I now have a dozen different places to hunt on any given day.

Keeping with the spirit, anyone in Maryland looking to hunt geese/wood ducks in Westminster, broadbill in Middle River or Puddlers in Vienna give me a call. I have all the toys necessary!

Only you can prevent forest fires AND SKYBUSTING!

MDGreenhead
MDGreenhead
Newb

Postby TheParalyzer » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:19 pm

Name is Steve. Been duck hunting for 17 years and have enjoyed every minute of it. I live in Sacramento Ca. and hunt the central valley and Klamath Basin. Shoot a Browning Gold which everyone seems to hate but it just fits me right. Have a three year old black lab who has his master hunter title and I own a 17' Gator trax w/a 29 horse Mud Buddy Hyper drive. Also have a club next to the Colusa NWR closed zone. This is my first year at this hole hope it shoots well. The club and back waters are a blast but nuthin better than slammin them giants in the beardless grain.
TheParalyzer
hunter

Dyin' to hunt waterfowl...

Postby Shea » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:07 pm

Hi all,

Joined minutes ago myself, and I was initially looking for information. Great site. I hunt upland and haven't hunted waterfowl in ages. Last time was with my cousins in Arizona. I am looking for someone, anyone, who would let me tag along on a duck hunt. I live in Southern California, and would carry any decoys/gear, etc...heck, I'll even swim out and retrieve birds!

Patrick

email - itshea@hotmail.com
Shea
Newb

Postby duckplucker » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:05 pm

I'm Trey, Im just starting to hunt waterfowl but I've hunted pheasant and quail since i could carry and hold the gun, i hunt deer, dove on occasion, mainly 'cause it helps sharpen the skills, and have shot A LOT of non game and small game (rabbit, squirrel, etc.) Up until last year when i went hunting with some relatives a few times for waterfowl i had a Remington Model 11 20 ga semi auto, but found that the 2 3/4 only shell size was way to small for geese and most ducks cause its hard to find steel in 2 3/4 inch shells. then i invested in a low cost Mossberg 500 12 ga pump 3" chamber and it gets the job done. Hopefully the start of many great seasons of waterfowling.
duckplucker
hunter

Postby baumdiggity » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:17 pm

New member, new to duck hunting this year. Have the basics ( ie waders, calls, deeks) Have been having a blast hunting the Utah marshes. Love reading what everyone else has to say about a great sport.
Shoot ... pump .. shoot .. pump .. shoot (d**m)
try and shoot the sky around them another day
baumdiggity
hunter

Postby wareagle81780 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I just joined a few hours ago been busy reading all the great info on the site. I'm also from S.W Michigan. I'm 24 and have been hunting waterfowl for 3 years. I hunt a refuge on Harsens Island when you get a good draw you limit out within a couple hrs. unless your using a bb gun :toofunny: . I shoot a Beretta A390, hunt in a 14ft War Eagle w/ a 9hp mud buddy. I just picked that up this year. I love that motor it goes through every thing. I drive a Grand Cherokee 4X4. I'm testing the different types of sheels out there and I like the Federal Tungston Iron the best :thumbsup:. The only draw back is that it's expensive :thumbsdown:. I'm also a mortgage banker for Rock Financial Quicken Loans so if any one out there as has any questions I'm more than happy to help out. I know I have a ton of questions in-ragards to hunting. I'm looking forwaqrd to making some new friends and maybe having a couple of :salude:.

Good luck to every one!!!
wareagle81780
hunter

big time newbie

Postby canadagoose » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:43 pm

I'm 38, live in the San Francisco Bay area, and just bought myself a Beretta 391 Urika Optima for my birthday. Unfortunately, the dealer has to hold onto it for 10 days while the feds check me out.

I've done sporting clays from time to time over the years, but never hunted anything. Last year I discovered that a family friend is into duck hunting, and since I love to eat duck I'm on a mission to give it a try this year under his tutilage.

I have a 3 1/2 year old chocolate lab who loves the water and retrieving tennis balls, so I'm hoping I can teach her to retrieve ducks. Does anyone have any advice on that? Is it crazy to think a dog that old can be turned into a hunting dog?
canadagoose
hunter

Postby vwguy2004 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:45 am

hey guys. i am new to this site. i live in moses lake,wa. i have been quack whacking for about 6 years. i am 19 years old and i am a resident firefighter with grant county fire district 5. i shoot a whichester model 1200 or a remington 870.(depends on what i feel like taking). i hunt a hunny hole that you guys can read about in the washington forum,

vwguy2004
vwguy2004
hunter

Postby fallinskies » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:53 pm

Hi I'm new here but not to the sport, i have been duck hunting since i was six. I hunt mostly sloughs and some fields. I hunt probably 2 to 3 days per week given my schedule. I am nineteen years old.
"I would rather have him out in a field all the time than doing what some of these kids are doing" Mrs. Nearman 4th grade teacher
fallinskies
Newb

Postby CHAD » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:57 pm

i just joined today, well my name is chad and i am still pretty much a novice at 16 but am learning alot, i hunt in vancouver wa. i started when i was 12 or 13 while tagging along with my brother (mostly being his "retrever") i like hunting vacouver lake and in ridgfeild, i like hunting in ponds, lakes, sloughs basicly any bodies of water, i am hunting when ever i am not out salmon and steelhead fishing
mayby i will hit the next one
CHAD
Newb

Postby saintsfan » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:52 am

Another newbie to the board here. I live on the gulf coast of texas and hunt ducks in southwest louisiana. I was born and raised in Louisiana. I hunt deer in Lousiana , Texas and Arkansas. Well hope to hear from some other saints fans or fellow hunters :).
saintsfan
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole