NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

Postby Fatweed » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:21 pm

Howdy, Im the Fatweed. Ill explain the name later, but for short its what my little girl says i look like in camo.... hehehe Im 55, got kids from 10 to 30...five of em... some hunt,,some dont... anyway... ive been huntin since i could walk... and sometimes now it seems i can just barely walk..specially after tryin to walk all day in mud.... hehehe. I hunt everything there is to hunt around here... Kansas Now. Ive lived in Colorado, (Elk, Deer) and Nevada, (Geese, Ducks), Yeah believe it or not if ya can find water in the desert, theres some waterfowl huntin...hehehe
I grew up in Kansas, and am back now, been here three years...for shootin..??? wellllllll Since I lost my best huntin partner last spring (Dad), ive got his old Model 12... fine gun... birdseye maple... and had a bazillion shells shot thru it..... still works too.... ya couldnt haul off in a freight train all the birds that gun has shot... most offem legal too....hehehe, Dad usta say...just lay that gun on the hood...and it will get birds.....hehehe. Its basically gonna be retired tho.... ill use it dove huntin and shoot a few just for old times sake and dad.....otherwise... ill just keep the rust off it.... For the serious stuff, ive got a browning BPS 3.5 camo 12.... I can hit better than my kid with it...hehehe hes a little slightly faster with his Benelli 3.5 auto... but he only puts more steel in the air,,,, I think my steel is a little better placed maybe..??? LOL...im sure ill hear about that from him...hehehe. Maybe id like one of them benellis..??? dunno.... just cant picture John Wayne a shootin with an italian gun... heheh Noooooo,,,I know they make fine guns... its just dunno.... guess i like tradition...ya know..??? Funny,,,, i think ya get that way when ur older.... heheh its either that...??? or stubborn..???? As for huntin here in kansas...?? Yeah it can be good... its not like the old days tho... sure,,it seems there is more game in some ways..??? but not game ya can shoot at... Used to be in the old days... ya found game,,, asked if ya could hunt and that was it....nope not anymore.....too many people have ruined a good thing...anymore ya almost either gotta marry into good huntin..... or be able to afford to buy it..???? or go the public hunting route.... Nothing is wrong with any of them mind you,,,, its just not as easy as it used to be.... Nope...hehehe i dont have alotta money.... so its the old fashioned way....that i hafta earn the right to hunt some places..... and No,,,im not much willin to share those places with just anyone... I will share,,, but like i had too....ya gotta earn it... Get my drift??? So...for some ya novices out here... one place to kinda be leary of is the net huntin... last year...i was talkin it up on the net,,,,,next thing ya knew i was blown outta my spot.... so ive learned to keep my mouth shut.... hehehe... wrong.... LOL...ill probably blow it all again... LOL... or if ya hear me a braggin up my honey hole here... hehehee uhhhhhhh think twice... i might be lyin to ya.... hehehe...well unless i know yah.... hehehe... anyway....im just pullin ur chain a little....hope ya dont mind.... *S*..Keep it safe boys and girls...and play nice.... *S*
P.S. about forgot the huntin rig... LOL.. got an old 2x4 73 chevy pickup... all rusted out... call it uncle woody..she smokes some, uses some oil,,,and dont get very good gas mileage, but we aint in no hurry usually LOL... but it holds three of us....Im buildin a new engine for her when i get the shed done... got an engine all picked out to rebuild too, my dads old chevy my brother has,,said i could have it since he got dads newer old buick...LOL
Momma wont let us use her blazer...or the jeep.... long story.... And my sons only gotta newer s-10.... cant haul nuthin in that..either..??? so we use uncle woody.. its gotta rack on it..can either put the boat on top...or the canoe... holds lotta decoys...and dont mind a runnin it thru the brush either... it just polishes the rust....hehehe...if we get it stuck.... which, we havent... (I learned how..and where to drive alonggggggggg time ago.... LOL) if stuck then can push pull or drag it out with about anything.. dozer,,,tractor... whatever ya got... LOL.. dunno... heheh guess i could afford maybe a new big 4x4 diesel rig... even had one awhile back... but theres just sumpin about that old pickup,,,and the musty damp wet smell of them seats and interior that just says and smells huntin..... hehehe so ill stick with uncle woody.....
Fatweed
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:21 pm

You may need to change your handle to fat fingers instead of fat weed.... You had 3 double posts... :laughing: Click it 1 time and wait a bit before clicking it again. But if it is your fat fingers, well then I suggest that you use an upside down pencil to type with :toofunny:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Fatweed » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:45 pm

Hey there Mr Hammer admin2.... thanks for the edit on the call post... yeah was my fault about the two double posts... guess it was server troubles.... i hit post..and waited forever...did nothin.. backed out...and hit it again of course to put up two posts.... did the reply bit...same thing...so figured id leave well enuff alone... hehehe... i did try to edit them but theres no delete on the message..?? might be good idea huh...if you got any control over that..??? a delete option in edit..??? anyway... uhhhhh next time...ill leave er there a week...for i hit submit again.... hehehe..sorry....whewwww at least ya didnt call me fathead.... maybe thats next...???
Fatweed
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:45 pm

Hey fatweed. Glad to see another Kansan on here.... :mrgreen: ... It's funny cuse I was born and raised in Reno Nevada, Then moved to Kansas when I was 8. And your right about the duckin in the desert. if ya kin find da water, they'll be ducks... Well cya round`,

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:48 pm

FYI, to delete a post, click edit, and when the new screen comes up, look below the dialogue box, there are 5 boxes that you can be checked - the last being "delete this post", check this box and then click submit and that should delete the entire post.

As for your other possible handle---maybe we should call you minnow...

......as in FatHead Minnow :toofunny:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DuckFan » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:28 pm

I go by DuckFan and live in Pleasanton, CA. This coming season will be my 41st for ducks. My dad got me started when I was 10, although I went with him for a few years before that.

Grew up hunting Wister Refuge on the Salton Sea and also hunted the central valley at Kern.

Now, for the past 18 years, I live in Northern CA and love it. Many more opportunities to hunt and fish.

My son hunts with me ( 28 years old now) and he started when he was 10 too. My brother also hunts with me and last year I got a neighbor's son involved in the junior program. Fun to take a young man out again.

Nice to find this site.
DuckFan
hunter

Postby Bull_Can » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:03 am

I am from west-central MN (MN portion of the prairie pothole region) and hunt at and around Lake Christina. (For those that don't know Lake Christina...it was the major resting area for canvasbacks coming down the Mississippit flyway). So, as you can tell, I love to hunt divers. I started hunting at age 9 (currently 31) and have hunted waterfowl in MN and Manitoba.
I love to field hunt giant canadas, puddle ducks in shallow marshes and diver hunt in deeper lakes. Diversity in both bag and hunt has always been my style (which also dictates me owning an arsenal of boats and dekes). I only hunt over decoys, and have a 2.5 year old black lab.
As my avator shows (summer-avator) I love to hunt muskies. I am also an avid bowhunter, but nothing compares to waterfowling!!
Christina, Ina, Anka Lake Association...help preserve our hunting heritage!
Bull_Can
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:15 pm

BC, do you know Jim K.? He has a cabin on Christina(south side) and is/was(?) one of the CIA officers? Jim took me up hunting on Christina a few years back. Was a bit slow for divers -unless you count coots :laughing:
Too bad his Mom passed away last month, he misses her a lot.

You know the House kids? A couple of them used to email me for awhile a few years back, I think it was Mike...he should be early 20s now I think.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bull_Can » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:17 am

I have met Jim twice (Ostrom introduced him to me). As for the House's, I know John and Tom. Both are great supporters for the area and to the sport. Tom spent a lot of time lately working on hen houses with the Pioneer Heritage Conservation Trust (a non profit where people can get hen houses if they want) and has had great success. John donates a peice of art each year at our banquet and does whatever he can to promote the lake and sport.

As for coots...Ashby is the coot capital. Hopefully Christina can rebound after our latest treatment and structures effort. She bounced back beautifully after the late 80's treatment...
Christina, Ina, Anka Lake Association...help preserve our hunting heritage!
Bull_Can
hunter

Postby Keith S. » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:28 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Keith Spader and I live in eastern Neb. I've been hunting since I was 12, got into duck hunting at 14, 11 years later I still get fired up about it. I go after just about anything my dog can retrieve, but my real passion is snow geese. When I'm not hunting, I'm usually training my dog or practicing my calling.

Great site :thumbsup:
Keith S.
hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:10 pm

hey everyone Im Trever 37 been fowlin for 20yrs. I hunt mostly public land. lakes,rivers and marshes. I currently have a 15fter w/25hp. trying to sell to small for all i do. have a 19fter ordered w/200hp pump.That should do it. I spend at least 2-3 days a week huntin or fishin. I shoot a nova (junk) , an skb pump or my Orion depending on my mood. Between my buddie and I we have 12doz goose dekes and about 10 doz duck dekes. A lota work many besides yall dont understand. Thats okay less competition anyway. good luck everyone have fun, thats what its all about anyway
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Postby blvdsouldja » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:49 am

Well i'm 17 years old i started hunting when i was 13 with my grandfather. I'm originally from Port Sulphur Louisiana but i now live in Boston. My weapon of choice is the 20 guage remington model 870. I haven't been hunting in 4 years and i feel like i've had a lifetime of cabin fever or somthing. I'm working on getting my FID card now and i need some information on hunting in Massachusetts and i also need a partner lol. My favorite type of duck to hunt is teal. :mrgreen:
blvdsouldja
hunter

Postby steelshooter » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:13 pm

Hi! my name is steve and i live in Okla. I started duck hunting about 15 yrs. ago. I hunt with my best friend of the same name, we mostly hunt at ft. cobb lake or small ponds. I shoot winchester 1300 and have so for about 10 yrs. I have 3 black labs, one i've retired one istill shoot over and one im still training. i look forward to visiting with everyone in the
upcoming season.
steelshooter
hunter

Postby snowgoose » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:33 pm

I just found this site a few minutes ago and signedup. I am jeff from Sacramento. I moved here from Texas 2 years ago due to job changes. It's weird out here. I have been a hunter as far back as the earliest my Dad would take me out.

I only started "hunting" ducks since moving to the land of fruits and nuts. We used to kick'em up off the tanks back home during the season, not really hunting.

Thanks, and I hope everyone has a good year this year.
SNOWGOOSE
snowgoose
hunter

Postby DrakeDowner » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:11 am

Hey eveyone thanks for the warm welcome, My name is Caleb Ayers, im 18 years old and live in Oregon. i hunt lots of stuff but ducks are undoubtedly the priority. I hunt Fields, Ponds, Timber, Rivers, and a little on big lakes. Ive been hunting ducks since i was 12 years old and love it a little more each time i go out.
100 years lived in fear in is a tragedy, a day lived without fear is a triumph- Bruce Lee
DrakeDowner
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:15 am

Hi everyone I live in tulsa, oklahoma. I'm 42 years old. Been here since 1983. I was born and raised in northeastern arkansas and been duck hunting since I was 4 years old. I think this website is great! Love duck hunting every weekend of the season and yes, I duck hunted alot down around Stuttgart growing up. was a member of the OK hunting club down there. Mostly hunted St. Francis River area and flooded rice/soybean fields though. Well, I'll get off here and see ya'll around the site!
Tom
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby newcoguy » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:19 am

Just joined tonight. I'm 28, live in Lone Tree CO, moved out here from MN because I love big game hunting and there obviously aren't any elk, mulies, bighorn, antelope, etc. in MN. Have had some great luck whitetail hunting in MN the last couple years, just missed BC last year so I am searching for more "wallhangers" out here. (Plan to go back to MN for all the great whitetail hunting though)

Love the big game but duck hunting is still in the blood.......I'd love to hook up with someone who wants to do some duck hunting in CO this fall, if you would be willing to take me out please email at viddles456@yahoo.com, I've got everything except a boat and I'm definitely not a rookie when it comes to waterfowling, just lacking all the hunting buddies I left behind in MN.

Anyways, nice to meet you all, hope you have great luck this fall.
newcoguy
hunter

Introduction

Postby Take em' » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:03 pm

I just signed up. My name is Tyler, i live in maryland, i dont hunt the bay's we hunt fields, rivers, and ponds. Im 16 years old , i have been hunting for 8 years. The first bird i killed was a goose. I shoot a benelli Nova pump. i shoot kent impact, kent fasteel, and hevi shot. Just to let you ppl know if you have never shot kent fasteel you need to try a box. it works great. We hunt a lot on the potomac river. I love duck hunting as much as i do goose. I blow a foils Migrator "streight meat honker" goose call, and a arkansas squewler duck call. We have a 18 ft express camo with a 90 65 jet, bevertail blind, we also have a new camo 15.4 ft square back cano made by water quest. check it out on the web, we have a 6.5 hp short shaft mud buddy, works great. We have about 10 doz goose decks, and about 5doz duck.We have a 16 ft enclosed trailer for goose decoys, pulled by my Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax Diesel, i love that thing. Crew cab short bed. We are going to arkansas this year with some bull riders that i know. I wil let you know how it goes.
Take em'
hunter

Postby AKDUCKMAN » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:48 am

I just found this place, And a nice place it seems to be.
I haven't seen anyone from Alaska in here yet so hay here I am.
Eveything you have heard about it is false fishing sucks,hunting sucks,
so don't bother coming up I 'll just have to live with it.
But serious I'm 40 years old and started hunting a age 8.
Mostly ducks now with a bear hunt there and a moose hunt here,and maybe a caribou or two. The one thing you can count on is, you will only find wild game in my freezer.Oh and did I mention the salmon.
We have a fair amount of ducks up here but where I hunt 30 min or so north of Anchorage we only have about a month and a half befor the water
gets hard and you don't get to many ducks in color. But hay I don't eat the feathers any way. I'm in and out a lot so feel free to E-mail and maybe I'll get back to you :salude:
Eatting meat and wearing fur,It's a good thing
AKDUCKMAN
hunter

Postby Trbeast88 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:08 pm

hey i was referred by HonkShooter.... he is the best man around
Trbeast88
hunter

Postby Trbeast88 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:13 pm

hey ya i was referred by HonkShooter and i have done some huntion in my time wiht my dad.... we usually go down The St. Joe River in his boat and park it at a marsch and hunt.. we have had good luck wiht both geese and ducks. or we drive to sturgis and hunt sometimes to.... both places give us lucjk and we have our dog retrieve for us which helps... well im out
Trbeast88
hunter

Postby AaronP » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:55 pm

Hi!! My name is Aaron, I live in Idaho now but I grew up in Northern Caifornia chasing waterfowl at Lower Klamath and Tule Lake. This is a great site!!! :getdown: :salude:

And I was reffered by Mallyard
Aaron P.
AaronP
hunter

Postby huntinyouthman » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:12 pm

Howdy Folks!!

I'm Matt, a youth pastor in Sulligent, AL (put your finger on Birminham in an AL map, and go left about an inch to the AL/MS line). I'm new to duck hunting, this is my first year. I bought a choc lab pup last year named Angel, and decided to train her to hunt, thus I'm getting into duck hunting. I like this site layout, and will be on here to learn a lot.

And I was reffered by "Mallyard" the great. What up bro? :thumbsup:
Matt

Why on tests does it say "Use Your Own Words?" Everyone knows you can't make up your own words!! Flapibillitankerous!!!
huntinyouthman
hunter

Postby IL_Hunter » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:10 am

Nice to meet all of you! I am brand new to the forum myself. My name is Kevin and am 26 years old. I live in Quincy, IL and have spent my entire life huning and fishing in the area. The great thing about where I live is I can drive 30 minutes in any direction to find great duck hunting. The Mississippi River is ten minutes from where I live, and to the East is what is called the "Golden Triangle" of whitetail hunting. I wish you all good hunting this season. :salude:
Duck Blinds - The summer home of freakishly large common water snakes.
IL_Hunter
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:31 pm

h2ofwlr brought this forum to my attention, so I decided to sign up.

I'm 25 years old and have lived in Arkansas all my life. I've been working for a large healthcare organization for the last 5 years.

I started duck hunting when I was just a little kid and haven't missed a season yet. 2.5 years ago I picked out a butterball of a yellow female lab named Haley and she turned out to be a great dawg despite my training her.

We pretty much stick to lakes and rivers in the area. It's definitely not what Arkansas is known for. The nice thing is the boat ramp is only 10 min. away.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole