NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Postby wired leader » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:31 pm

A big G'Day to all my fellow hunters...both here in Canada and to our good friends to the south.
I live in Quebec just across from Ottawa. This is my first year hunting waterfowl, but look forward to many more.
I hunt along the Ottawa River in some DU marshes that are the favorite spot around here. It was kind of a last minute decision to duck hunt this year, so I will likely find better spots for next year, but will do what I can this year. At least I got to buy a new gun :)
Anyway, just wanted to say hello to everyone here and look forward to some great discussions!

Cheers!
Dave
wired leader
Newb

Postby gt&h » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:26 pm

My name is Cole. I hunt in west central wisconsin mostly. Cut fields, ponds, marsh, and on the river. This is my second year waterfowl hunting and im a die hard. I have a 1 year old black lab that I trained myself and she made her first retrieve opening day of duck season here. She now has multiple retrieves under her belt and is really starting to get the hang of things. I use a mossberg 835 ulti-mag. I am always looking for new people to hunt with around here. So if you live around the west central side of wisconsin let me know. I mainly hunt with my sisters boyfriend, my dad and my girlfriends dad. Other than waterfowl hunting i love to hunt upland birds and bow hunt as well but ducks and geese is what i like hunting most. I just purchased my first decoys this summer and have about 2 doz. of them. Then in the field for goose hunting we usually run a spread of around 50-200 shells and bigfoots. If anyone wants to get together for some hunting let me know!
gt&h
hunter

Postby dbrown57 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:33 pm

Ive actually been on this site for awhile now but don't think I posted on here, from N Illinois area but attend school in Carbondale for forestry. Was in the military for about 5 years and was medically discharged with a purple heart. I love outdoors in general but my addiction to duck hunting has been growing over the last 3 years like wild fire! I love this site and plan on being here for long time. Good luck to all this coming season, id like to make it Banner year!!!
PRO STAFF FOR CRITTER DONE GAME CALLS
dbrown57
hunter

Postby mv.murphy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:33 am

Michigan southern zone opener 10/12/13... Good luck this season to all my fellow hunters.

Anyone help me understand the Mojo restrictions in the Michigan managed units?? :mad:
mv.murphy
Newb

Postby kraymer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi all. Relatively new to the site. My name is Kent and I live in Blue Ridge, Tx just NE of DFW. I'm 41 and got into duck hunting during college and have recently gotten into again along with my 17 year old son as well as my 15 year old daughter (who shot her first duck a couple of weeks ago!). We have a hunting lease near Paris, Tx and also hunt local ponds closer to our home. We have a chocolate lab, Maggie, who is 17 months old. She was a bit gun shy last season and this year but she's actually just about cured. Took her early teal hunting season and the love of birds seemed to finally overshadow any timidness. Going to Stuttgart (St Charles) to the Popa Duck lodge for our second time in November and can't wait. Would also love to hunt south Texas and somewhere up north (Dakotas, MT, WY, MN, etc.). Would love to hear good places/ guides.
kraymer
Newb

Postby THETANK01 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Hello guys,
Im new to this forum. Looking forward into meeting some friends and maybe even some future hunting partners. I have been hunting the bayous of SE Louisiana for roughly 5 years now. I am currently looking into trying out the Lafayette area. Does anyone recommend any specific area? I am originally from Carencro, but I have never ran around the swamps over there. Thanks fellas.
THETANK01
hunter

Postby scott2613 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:36 pm

Hello, my name's Scott and I live in Southeast Washington. I'm primarily a big game hunter, and haven't hunted waterfowl in 16 years, but when my 14 daughter told me last December that she wanted to hunt birds and have a dog retrieve them, I jumped at the opportunity. We now have a 10 month old black lab, all the gear, and are looking forward to our first season. Found this site by accident while searching for something else, and have enjoyed reading everyone's posts. Hoping that it won't be long until we're posting pics of our own.
scott2613
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:00 pm

Welcome all... :welcome:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Bduck8 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:08 pm

New member here from Texas. Already made my yearly duck/goose hunt to Alberta in September and hunted eastern S Dakota first of October. Headed back to S Dakota next weekend for pheasant opener. Gonna duck hunt Omaha on the way up. Have a 18 month old yellow lab. Her second trip for pheasants.

Hunt deer also in Texas, Kansas and Canada this year.

Scott B
Bduck8
Newb

Postby McManusClan5 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi all,

Back after some years away (as "Atlanticjunkie" in the way back). Work and a move kept me mostly out of the field the last 3 years (taking my kids out was about all I managed last year - that was at least worth it!). Now back in MA and hoping to figure out how to waterfowl here (happily back fishing the salt, but ducks and geese - field/puddle/marsh/salt - are a LOT tougher to get after than in PA or OH where we've lived before coming back home to MA).

Spent the last couple years getting the gear for the area (seaduck and field/small pond rigs all set), as I at least could do that when I had any spare time, now looking at a boat and GETTIN' AFTER IT THIS YEAR!!

Anyhow, glad to be back and hope I never spend so much time away again. :smile:

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby lookin4Game » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:12 pm

Hey my name is dakota just moved to tulsa oklahoma from arkansas new this is my first duck season tryin to just figure things out
lookin4Game
Newb

Postby SoggyBottomRunner » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:38 am

Howdy! New to the forum. I've been a lurker for a long time. Decided that it is time to jump in to the mix. I live in the Dallas, TX area with my wife and two little girls. I've been chasing ducks and geese for around 16 years now. I mainly hunt the lower Central Flyway but I have been privileged to hunt all over. I shoot a SBEII and hunt with a little blonde pocket rocket named Roxie. I look forward to getting people here on the forum and sharing my passion of the outdoors with others who share the addiction!
SoggyBottomRunner
Newb

Postby Tyler Radke » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:02 am

Hello, I live in LaOtto indiana and have been duck hunting for 6 years or so and this will be my wife's 2nd year hunting. We have a 4 month old yellow lab named Avery who is coming along very nicely. We belong to backwater retriever club and plan on running hunt tests with him in the off season. We are also currently working on our first duck boat and actually found this site by searching for info on putting one together.
Tyler Radke
hunter

Postby jkfree » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:00 pm

Hey guys - my name is Joe. I have hunted waterfowl in the Central Flyway (MO) for 5 years. I've caught the bug and enjoy being involved in my local DU chapter. I found the site looking for online information regarding local clubs in my area.
jkfree
Newb

Postby akcowboy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:48 pm

Name is Carter. New to AZ and looking for someone to show me around the waterfowl community here, places to hunt, techniques that work good here etc... Just moved from South Dakota so im definitely missing the waterfowl there. 22 years old, no dog. Shoot my ol trusty mossberg 500. Super basic gun but it has never let me down. If it aint broke dont fix it. Any help would be really appreciated. I realize the duck hunting community is kind of like a secret society but i would really appreciate anything. Everyone have a good and safe season. Fold 'em!!
akcowboy
Newb

Postby K Williams » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:10 am

Hello. I got into waterfowl hunting 4 years ago when a co-worker took me hunting with him. I hunt the tidal wetlands of Long Island, NY. I'm a member of Ducks Unlimited and Delta Waterfowl. I shoot a 28" bbl Mossberg 500, and a 26" bbl Remington 870 Express Super Magnum Synthetic. I drive a Tacoma TRD Off Road, 6-speed manual, V6. No boat yet, and no dog. I'm a Union Structural Ironworker.
NRA Life Member, Delta Waterfowl member, Ducks Unlimited member
K Williams
hunter

Postby Hunterhog » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:14 pm

New to the forum but have been duck hunting for 23 years (I'm 29). Grew up hunting private flooded timber in the Arkansas Delta with occasional trips to my grandfather's club outside of Texarkana. I now live in the Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas, so duck hunting options are pretty slim here and I have to go back home to the Delta to hunt.
Hunterhog
hunter

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:56 pm

Been reading this site for awhile. Tons of great info. Decided to make an account and finally start contributing! :beer:
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Postby NDhunting4life » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Hey my name is Austin I've been going duck hunting with my dad since I have been 3 years old, I live in North Dakota born and raised and usually puddle jump but I have been getting into decoys. I use a model 37 Ithaca featherweight deluxe and use my waders as a retriever. I love hunting so I decided to join this site!
NDhunting4life
Newb

Postby LittleJon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:34 am

Hello all,

I got back into hard-core waterfowling a few years back in central Kansas. Recently, work moved me to the Cushing, OK area and I am looking to find hunting buddies in that region. I still hunt Cheyenne Bottoms and the fields south of Ellinwood, when I can make it back, and I always have room for at least one more in my truck. I'm an ethical hunter and know the rewards of time spent scouting before the hunt. I like to be the back-up or secondary call in the group. I can call fairly well on my own, but I've been lucky to have better callers in my group. I also have learned that many times, less is more. I've got a small Sillosock snow goose rig, 5 dz full bodied goose field and 2.5 dz goose floaters and 3 or 4 dz duck floaters to play with. Right now, I'm working on a layout boat project with a new mud motor.

I hope to be an active member of this community.

Thanks in advance,
LittleJon
LittleJon
hunter

Postby downhilltilt24 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:37 pm

The names travis. I'm from CA and MT and do most of my hunting there. I've been duck hunting for the past 3 years and love it to death. I go to the university of portland right now so this saturday i'll be trying my luck for the first time in oregon over at sauvie island. I look forward to getting to know yall.
downhilltilt24
hunter

Postby cobbeaux » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:58 pm

I go by the nickname "Cobbeaux' due to being from South Louisiana and living in North Louisiana. I've been hunting since I was 6, but didn't duck hunt until I was 7 and started out shooting a single shot, bolt action 20ga, borrowed from my dad's boss (I'm 29). My dad is an agriculture chemical salesman, so I grew up hunting the fields of his farmers when we were invited (mostly rice fields and flooded soybean fields).
Went to college and didn't get chances to hunt as much due to being 3 hours from home and a college athlete. Last year, old dad decided to get on a lease of one his farmers in Port Barre, LA (South LA). I hunt along with my dad, one of his salesman, and anyone else that we care to bring. We have two pit blinds that can hunt 4, but mainly hunt 2-3 at a time. We use Game Winner decoys (hey, I didn't pay for them) out of these two blinds.
I also hunt with my fraternity brothers on Lake D'Arbonne in Farmerville, LA (North LA). I shoot a 12ga Remington 870 Express, but hope to move to be into a SX3 soon. I use Haydel Game Calls, with majority time being the DR-85. I also have a Hybrid call from Rolling Thunder out of Arkansas. We don't use a dog, unless someone that we invite has one and they bring it along. I'm currently not a member of any conservation organizations, but am looking to join Delta Waterfowl soon. I drive a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500, do not have a boat, and am looking forward to another excellent season.

Bon Temps et Bonne Chance!!(Good Times and Good Luck!!) :beer:
Awwww man, I can't believe I did dat!

Red Leg Waterfowl Field Staff
cobbeaux
hunter

Postby jedijon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:44 pm

I'm Jon and I'm new to the site and the sport.

2 years ago I got my license and only went hunting once. So much for borrowing gear... Now I have my own gun and decoys and go hunting several times a week.

It's been dove and quail so far here in the desert of eastern Washington. Now I'm doing waterfowl. Got two coot the first run, and a duck and a goose the second trip. Just working on my game now... Glad to have somewhere like this to help with the research.
10 Teal, 6 Mallard, 5 Shoveler, 4 Pintail, 3 Coot, 1 Widgeon, 1 Bufflehead, 1 Canadian Goose, 1 Hooded Merganser
jedijon
hunter

Postby killzone70 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:52 pm

hey all! my name is keith and im from kentucky. i live about 15 minutes from fort knox. i started duck hunting last year and although we didnt shoot too many ducks had a blast. This year i have been getting all of my own equipment including a boat deeks, waders, blind. I usually hunt on the ohio river and planning on hunting on a DU slough this year. I am a DU member also.

My other main past time is bowfishing. But duck hunting seems to be a bigger addiction than bowfishing. The thing that is better about bowfishing is that there is no season in kentucky. good luck to everyone this year.
killzone70
hunter

Postby West coast Reds » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

Hello gang! New member here! Name is Andy. Started my duck hunting about 8-9 years ago. Loved and lost my Beretta 686 essential, not to pretty to worry about muckin up, would love to replace it. Also a Beretta 3901 which I felt is an underated marsh gun. I never had one problem with it so I liked it. I really like the site and hope to learn and enjoy with y'all. Not much into daily chatter, I like reading about hunting and everyone's tactics, spreads,call technique, calls etc. thanks for letting me be a part and I will share my experience(s) if I can be of any help and look forward to all your experience and advice. Thanks and hope everyone has a successful season! Big A
West coast Reds
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole