NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Postby tstrong » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:37 pm

Howdy! Tom from SoCal. Hunted for the post 30 yrs. I'm 44 now. Upland and waterfowl mostly. Spend most of the season on the refuges. Too many people, always lived in SoCal. Don't believe what you hear some of us here in Calif are normal. Hunt with my son 14 yrs and just got Stogie - 17 month yellow lab out of gun dog training. Been gone 4 months. Been looking forward to this for the past few yrs. Wife's not too happy about the gun dog training bill. Oh well, you just can't put a price on some things. I'll miss her. Looking to do ALOT more hunting, if your familiar with Calif, you need to travel for any type of descent hunting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Even if it's out of state. I'm always reading about the duck and goose populations in these other states and I start climbing the walls. I don't mind traveling, so if anyone would offer, please - please - please - tstrong1@socal.rr.com. Thanks and good luck this season. :hammering:
tstrong
hunter

Postby duckfire » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:25 pm

just wanted to post up and say hello. names craig live in central ca, work for a local FD and try and hunt and fish as much as i can. im pretty active on a few other boards so i might know a few of you. lets start posting :salude:
duckfire
hunter

Postby DanT » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:38 pm

Dan Timmons from Lexington, KY. I grew up duck hunting with my dad, George, in northwestern Indiana. I didn't get to take a gun until I was eight, but I learned a lot about carrying decoys, hunting bags, and keeping the dog quiet! I'm now 45 and dad is 72 and we still spend about 3 weeks of hunting together in IN, IL, and our favorite spot, St. Charles,Arkansas. The stories and hunts we have had are endless and etched in my mind and heart forever. Dad hunts in Canada, then every day of the season in IN. Then when his season ends, he heads to Arkansas with me. I, on the other hand have 4 daughters, own my own business, and live in an area of KY that has very little waterfowl hunting. I'm a non-resident everywhere I hunt! When I can't go hunting I spend my time still trying to learn to blow an RNT duck call as good as the Arkansas boys we hunt with. Looking forward to being a member of this website.
DanT
hunter

Postby Cotz » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:23 pm

Howdy,

Colin Van Leuven from Michigan. Love to hunt ducks, deer and other birds. Hunt alot in the Upper Penninsula. It's wild and wondeful and has very few people. I own a place on Big Bay DeNoc, which is part of Lake Michigan. I can hunt many times and be the only person on the whole bay which is some 60 square miles. Quite a rarity in this age! I've hunted ducks since 1962, anyone top that? If anyone has the thought of trying some great hunting (at times), or some of the best walleye and smallmouth fishing this country has to offer, just contact me!
Cotz
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:48 pm

hello my name is brett.i am from idaho. this will be my 24th season.i love duck hunting.i use to hunt big game and upland birds but now i just hunt waterfowl.i have 2 labs an older yellow lab and a young black lab. this will be his first year.i mostly hunt big water. we get alot of different species of ducks here and canada geese(a few snows and ross).i have a 19 foot lowe roughneck boat with a 150 jet outboard. i am planning on getting a stealth 2000 soon. i hunt with a bennelli nova shotguns.i shoot kent fast steel 3 1/2 2,3 or 4s for ducks and triple bb for geese. have a great season, brett
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:17 pm

New Guy...My name is Mike Wood. I live in the MIssissippi Delta area. Grew up in Las Vegas where my Dad and Old Goerge (God Bless his soul) taught me how to duck hunt. We also hunted Chukar, quail, dove, rabbits, and pheasant. Just moved to this area about a year ago...great hunting. Just wanted to post up and say "hey". Y'all have a nice day! :salude:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Heather » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:19 pm

My name is Heather; this is my 4th year hunting ducks. I'm from Sugar Land, TX. I use an 870. Hunt the coastal marsh. Anything else??
Heather
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:00 pm

Welcome to all the newcomers :welcome:

Hey Heather, what do you hunt? S&Bs? which ducks? Who is showing you the ropes in hunting? Have a dog? :smile:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby xfps » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:06 pm

Hello I have lived in Co. all my life and started hunting when I was old enough to hold a bb gun. I didnt need much help getting hooked. I still hunt with my father who has now retired in Kansas as much as I can . I have 2 Black Labs one is old now and retired and one is just coming out of his puppy funk.
Nice to meet you all.
xfps
hunter

New Here

Postby duckhunter » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:37 am

My name is Jeremiah and I have been hunting for 10 years now. Just started duck hunting three years ago and I love it. I hunt Kansas. I hunt ducks and geese. I am currently looking for a 14ft boat so if any of you have one for sale for a good price I'm interested even if it don't float. I have a dog it is a half lab and half short hair and was given to me and was a huge mistake on the other guys part.
Laughter is like asprin, only works twice as fast.
duckhunter
Newb

Postby b c g s » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:21 pm

Ok here it goes Hi all my name is Tom l. Sieburg II im 27 and live now in Battle Creek i have lived here for 7mo. i started ducking when i was 13 ( thank you Dan Palson,,my buds dad) I all so hunt upland and deer,and turkey,,, Iv been training dogs for 12 years and that got it all started,,,now iv been guiding hunts for about 11 years ,, far as what gun i use well on upland its a Rem 1100 20ga and some times a 12ga. ,,for ducks and other a charles Daily sem. auto 12ga 3inch ,,,,, and now boat at this time but i am looking ,,, and my oldest is a good duck caller and my other 2 girls are good too and yes i said girls my youngest Hunter is 1 and has been cutting her teeth on a duck call and now blows it and some times drives my wife nutts ,, she is great and when she can she goes too. well i guss that should be it . O yea i have about 3 dozen decoys that my grandpa left me and they work great hope to meet a lot of hunting budys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, good hunting all ,,, :salude: Tom Sieburg
I live to hunt and hunt to live
b c g s
hunter

New Wisconsin Duck Hunter the Site

Postby TeamSkoal » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:15 pm

New to the site, obviously cuase im posting here, but anways im from Wisconsin and have been duck hunting since i was 14. Im an Engineering major in my third year at Marquette University in milwaukee, so my duck hunting is limited cause of the heavy work load. Origonally from the appleton (jsut south of greenbay) and most of duck hunting is done in northern wisconsin or at the horicon marsh. Was shooting a Benelli super black eagle since senoir of high school till this year, when they came out with the Super Black Eagle 2. I though my first gun couldnt be topped, but it was. Benelli makes the best shotguns hand down and i will never buy anything but for the rest of my life. {edit}. As far as decoys, dont use a spinning wing anymore, since every tom **** and harry has one, found that ducks flair more to it and we go better without it (in water only, field hunts its still effective). Hunt over 2-3 Herters millenium mallards, these decoys are unreal, they really help wehn more than one spread is in the marsh, they are worth the money. I have other various pintail, bluebills, woodies, and motion decoys which i use when needed.

Thats pretty much about me but the one thing i do want to say is that i dont feel duck hunting is a sport, its a passion embed deep inside every waterfowler since his first hunt, it will only grow over time and there is no cure.

Edit note: no spamming allowed, Admin2:umm:
TeamSkoal
hunter

Postby Mrs. Bear Creek » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:23 pm

[/b] I would like to start by saying I am glad to find a site that everyone can enjoy in my family. I am an avaid hunter when I can with three girls and a husband who lives to hunt. We have 2 black labs and an english setter. We love to hunt about anything. I just started duck hunting 2 years ago but I love it. I hope to make some friends on here that share some of the same intrests as us. We have resently started a guide business that we hope takes off. Hope to hear from all of you.

Glad to be here...................... Rondi :cool:
Mrs. Bear Creek
Newb

HELLO EVERYBODY I'M TYLER...

Postby duckjunky » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:03 am

Hi everybody,

Well, I figured it's about time I introduce myself. I'm still pretty new to this site. My name is Tyler Jones, I'm 25 and will be 26 on X-mas day. Born in Salt Lake City, UT and been living in Oregon since 1985. I've been hunting ducks and geese since 1988. The first duck I killed was a Widgeon drake on a 20 acre flooded cornfield. I've been hooked ever since. I hunt waterfowl throughout the season in Canada, Washington, Oregon, and California. I've been an active member of DU since 1997. I shoot a Benelli SBE synthetic, Browning Gold, and Browning BPS stalker 3.5 when hunting ducks & geese. Duck and goose hunting is the best thing in life besides my wife, son & 3 yr old yellow lab Butch. My favorite book is "AUTUMN PASSAGES, A DUCKS UNLIMITED TREASURY OF WATERFOWLING CLASSICS." :salude:

DJ
As long as I got my waders on and in the marsh...who cares if I killed a duck today.
duckjunky
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:13 am

Welcome everyone. :salude:

Duck Junky- Great to see another pacific northwest hunter on here. Seasons almost here!
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby teal_tormentor » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:26 am

Hello all.

My name is Richard Browning, but all my friends call me ****. Just discovered this site and it appears to be very interesting. I'm not too computer savvy, with a little help from my Grandson, I finally figured out how to operate this machine called a computer! I haven't missed a season since I started hunting waterfowl. This will be my 40th year duck hunting. I'm still gunning ducks with my Remington 1187 I purchased in 1970, and she's still operating flawlessly. Believe it or not, she's still wearing her original O ring! Well I guess that's it for me. So go ahead and pass a note to me if you wish. Don't worry, I won't bite cha, but I can't make any promises for my Chessie Max!
Take a youngster hunting today instead of taking him to rehab tomorrow.
teal_tormentor
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:41 am

Welcome Teal-- nice to see another chessie owner here!

:yes:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby SoDakDog » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:46 am

Hi, my name is Joel for Omaha, but born and raised in SD. Found this site yesterday and it looks good. I do all my waterfowl hunting back in SD, so I'm limited to the 10 day non-resident license if I'm lucky enough to get one. Got hooked on duck hunting when I was 16, I'm 43 now. Will be heading up to NE SD on 10/20 and looking forward to another great hunt.
SoDakDog
Newb

Postby DuckPlayer » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:36 pm

Hello,fellow outdoorspeople. Just joined after surfing around the net cause I was looking for a distraction to get hunting off my mind :smile: I guess you could say I've got a one track duck I mean mind. Anyway I am lucky enough to live in the wetlands basin section of south central Nebraska. I live in the country about 50 yards from a 1800 acre wetlands managment area :salude: yes,my wife let me move her and the rugrats there she's awsome! I still mostly shoot a 20 year old winchester model 1200 just because it fits like a glove. I like hunting fishing and trapping. I still feel like a 12 yr old kid the night before opening day even after 20+ yrs, But I sure don't feel that way after opening weekends over. More exercise less beer my wife says :oops: Any Questions I,ll try to answer! Good luck everbody!!!!!!
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Postby LostDuck » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:57 am

Hi folks my name is mike . I.m a hardcore duckman,I work 3rd shift just so i can hunt every day possible. Been chaseing ducks for about 12 years now.Originaly I'm fron louisiana but move to iowa a couple of years ago.Went from hunting saltwater marshes and swamp on privet land to hunting the mississippi river and small ponds on public land. All my hunting is done on foot. Most of the guys i hunt with are new to the sport and are only on there 2nd or third season with a couple more newbies this year. I shoot a remington 1100 that is from the first coupple of years they where made in to production. I have a 4 year old cho lab. I change my decoy spread alot based on conditions usual with a min. of 24 flambos max can be pritty far up there at around 80 or 90 . Greenheads are at the base of my spreads with teal pintail, woodie, gadwal and geese mixes in depending on what i see when scouting and no spinners.

calls:
echo open water poly
echo timber poly
6 in 1
H.S. slammer for geese
and back ups in the truck
LostDuck
hunter

Postby brdprey » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:20 am

well classic bad kid turned good thru evolution (growing up)
hunted everything including trapping, waterfowl, upland game, big game (white tail ), elk and your usual varmit for farm control from 9 till i was about 15 took time off to :salude:

now at 35 i have been hunting since i was 25 mostly bow, with just go back into ducks 3 yrs ago so i am a little green :yes:
:pissed: dont understand why i stopped hunting for 10 yrs .....someone shuld have kicked me.........
anyway i am a hunter ed instructor, bow hunting instructor, and furbearer instructor.
this is my first year with a dog for waterfowl, and my sons and i cant wait till he gets to the final product of retrieveing .
currently we are working on hand signals. :oops: but he is a pup.
i estimate i put in about a good 1000 hours of hunting a year .
would like to do more but work must be done to pay the bills.
:thumbsup: so that pretty much sums it up.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:29 am

Kicks Brdpry for stopping hunting.... J/J

Welcome!

:welcome:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby dwales22 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:44 am

Whats going on guys? I just joined this forum yesterday. I went thourgh and read some pretty good posts that you people have posted. Let me say this is a really good website. I am from lemoore, ca in the san jaquin valley some of you might know where that is. I like to fish and hunt. Most of all I like to hunt duck and pheasant. I am originally from the good state of nebraska where I did nothing but hunt and go to school. I am in the united states navy. I shoot a single shot twenty gauge, my first shotgun ever. I also shoot a over and under twelve gauge fausti. Which I like shooting very much. I also shoot alot of trap when I am not hunting. I own my first golden lab and he is a year old now. He is ready for duck hunting season coming up here the end of october. He has been the best training dog I have ever had. I would reccomend anybody getting a lab over anything other dog. My personal opinion. Thank you guys for bringing up this website!
For every day I fish and hunt is a day I will never forget!
dwales22
Newb

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:03 am

dwales22 wrote: I own my first golden lab and he is a year old now. He is ready for duck hunting season coming up here the end of october. He has been the best training dog I have ever had. I would reccomend anybody getting a lab over anything other dog. My personal opinion.

As a lab lover --- YELLOW Lab!

:umm:

Welcome new waterfowl friend!
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby MissouriHunter » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:51 pm

I hunt about 40 out of the sixty day seasons. A lot of public land with a few buddies who get me out on family places here and there. I am interested in joining a duck club with an hour to 90 minutes of Saint Louis/Saint Charles County if anyone knows of anything good brunogreco@msn.com
MissouriHunter
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole