Possibly moving to Texas

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Possibly moving to Texas

Postby asmythe32 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:44 am

Hello everyone. I currently live in illinois but have an opportunity to take a job in texas and I am seriously considering it. I love the hunting here but dont want to give it up just because I move to a place where I dont know anyone. Couple questions I have. Are there public hunting opportunities in Texas? Will I need a boat for most or all of them? I have all the decoys I need and I also have the rest of the gear I need as I have been doing this for 10 years now. I just can't live in this God forsaken state anymore and make crap money and get taxed to death. The job would not let me hunt a lot but it is also not something I am going to do forever. Any info on the state you can give me is appreciated.
asmythe32
hunter

Re: Possibly moving to Texas

Postby :-) » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:58 am

Depends on where you're moving to in Texas. We don't have much public land so what we do have can get crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:-)
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:30 am

We would probably live around the Austin area. Job is in south texas. Do you get more birds in east texas than other parts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
asmythe32
hunter

Postby :-) » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:49 pm

I wouldn't really say more birds, but there are more mallards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:-)
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:34 pm

really? I thought you guys got a lot of pintails down there. Either way it would be worth it. I would probably only get to go a couple times a year with this job
asmythe32
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:02 am

Any move to the great state is a smart one! We have plenty of hunting opportunities here, some may be a little more labor intensive than others but I think you will find some good hunts here! Good luck and safe travels if ya pull the trigger on the move!
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:23 pm

There are really good people here in Texas. I'm sure if you came someone would help you get your start with the ducks. I live in Austin, if you do move here shoot me message and we can talk about what kind of ducks/hunting you are looking to do. Without getting into what kind of ducks are where and such I will say again that Texas is full of great folks and there are great waterfowling opportunities.

I will also say that I would never take a job that would only allow a couple hunts a year, hahaha! Good luck to you
tako1972
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:59 pm

It may allow more. But in the future the money made from this job may allow me to hunt every day I want so it's worth it in the end. The labor part is no big deal. We walk in where we hunt now and it is not a short walk.

asmythe32
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:41 pm

There's actually a TON of public land in Texas requiring a $45 (or so) permit that you can access. Unfortunately, most of it is limited to small game, dove, deer and hogs. Also unfortunately, most of the public land that’s accessible for duck is within 2 hours of one of the metroplex areas (aka Dallas/Houston) and so they can lend themselves to TERRIBLE overcrowding. Also unfortunately … the really, really good public opportunities that exist are drier than two bones. A lot of reservoirs are tens of feet low if not twenty or dry altogether.

BUT – there is about 800 miles of coast that’s mostly public. And year/rainfall/agriculture/sheet-water on the prairie dependent … those areas can be phenomenal hunting for pintail, redhead, divers, wigeon. You just have to do your homework. And yes, you're going to need a boat, or a buddy with a boat!

Also - The turkey hunting is some of the best in the country if you can find a piece of land.

We’ve got a stable economy. I’d jump on it if you can.
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:28 am

I applied for the job last night. I have a brother in law at the company so I am hoping he can pull some strings. We will see. I am ready for the change and to move. Illinois slowly sucks the life out of you. Taxes are outrageous and half the state or more is on welfare. It's nuts here but it is also a DEM state. It will be a nice change when it happens.

asmythe32
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:00 pm

I moved to south texas about a year ago. the people are very welcoming, and the economy is good here. I came from maine, where you can pretty much hunt anywhere there is water, so it was a big change. I found some decent public land to hunt and had some good hunts. I would say that if the job comes through, don't give it a second thought. you wont regret it
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:33 am

Bringing the thread back to life. Got the job. I start training the 14th and will move my family down before winter hopefully.
asmythe32
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting