Mosquito Repeller

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Mosquito Repeller

Postby mudpack » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:45 am

Won't be long until dove season arrives, and soon after that early teal season. Both mean being targeted by mosquitoes again.
I hate putting toxic chemicals on my skin, and they don't prevent swarms of biting flies from buzzing two inches from my eyes and ears all morning.
I've tried the devices that supposedly make a sound like a dragonfly and scare the skeeters away; they don't work. I had one of those things humming away in the palm of my hand while mosquitoes landed on the same hand not two inches away from the device.
I tried the OFF! Clip On repellers, but if there is any breeze at all, they are rendered ineffective.
I bought a ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent, thinking that something that pricey must work. Now, I read the directions and they say " This product works well in outdoor areas where there is minimal air movement...." Great, this means it doesn't work so good in a slight breeze. :mad:
I tried the Oh So Soft hand lotion....still got bitten.

Anyone find a solution for mosquitoes when you're hunting that you're happy with???? I HATE them.
Last edited by mudpack on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Re: Mosquito Repeller

Postby agengo02 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:43 am

Thermo-cell and yard fogger. Down here in southeast Texas we hunker down in natural cover on public lands. We yard fog the crap out of the grass/cane we will be in, and set the thermo-cell up and don't usually have a problem. If there is wind, then yes, put the thermo-cell upwind of you. It puts out a little smoke so you can see how far upwind you need to put it.

:beer:
agengo02
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:38 am

agengo02 wrote:Thermo-cell and yard fogger. Down here in southeast Texas we hunker down in natural cover on public lands. We yard fog the crap out of the grass/cane we will be in, and set the thermo-cell up and don't usually have a problem. If there is wind, then yes, put the thermo-cell upwind of you. It puts out a little smoke so you can see how far upwind you need to put it.

Hmmmm...that yard fogger sounds like it might be worth trying. Thanks, '02.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Bloke » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:12 am

Thermacell is the best I have found. They also make a lantern for larger areas. As far as hunting is concerned, their original unit is awesome. I don't go in the woods without it.
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:31 am

KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:54 pm

Also try the skeeter spray that is for your clothes only.. You have to put it on like 8 hrs on before you put on your gear but it works.
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby creole » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:25 am

100 percent deet spray

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
creole
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:50 am

Don't spray it on clothing or plastic. Do a little research on deet going into your blood stream. Might second guess using it.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:47 pm

Never had a problem with my thermacell

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby xrated » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:22 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Don't spray it on clothing or plastic. Do a little research on deet going into your blood stream. Might second guess using it.

Just don't spray on exposed skin...unless you dig having your hands starting to shake and not being able to stop them 4 hours later. That should only ever happen after an epic bender. Though that is the only time I have been in skeeters so thick you can't hardly breath and not been bit.

A few sprays on an old work shirt will last a summer though.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:27 am

mudpack
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:17 pm

The lemon eucalyptus works very good. I wish the thermacells worked as well as that does down here in florida.
troutman561
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:00 pm

ORIGINAL LISTERINE MOUTHWASH!! Not the mint. Put it in spray bottle. Really works well. Just make sure it is original. Dont laugh till you try it.
Last edited by kcwellington on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcwellington
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:26 am

Gotta' try the Listerine......... :eek:
mudpack
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:09 am

Just curious. Have you tried the Listerine yet?
kcwellington
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:24 am

Repel Lemon Eucalyptus may work where you backpack, but it failed miserably on a neighbor's in town (with mosquito abatement) South Louisiana carport. Saw a bottle there shortly after reading this, asked how it worked and was told it didn't at all.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:33 am

Eucalyptus plant isn't compared to extracted oil. We are talking about personal protection. Not a carport. I will put money down that there wasn't a single mosquito on the physical plants themselves. It's deterrent isn't for spacious open air, but point of contact. If the oil and lotion didn't work, packers on the trail wouldn't be using it for months on end for no reason. My definition of a packer is a thru-hiker. Not a weekend tripper, but 4-6 months day after day on the trail.

I once asked someone if there were any ducks in IL. They told me no. So, I gave up duck hunting.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:14 pm

Sorry. Let me type slower: my neighbors (who I know much better than someone calling himself " KillerKowalski " on the internet) said they used the Repel product you linked to on themselves, and it didn't keep the mosquitoes from landing on it and biting them.

My guess is that it's like Skin So Soft, which I've had work pretty much according to its reputation in the Central Alabama turkey woods but isn't worth fooling with where mosquitoes are thick.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:00 pm

Lol. I appreciate the quality information. Duly noted.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:43 am

kcwellington wrote:Just curious. Have you tried the Listerine yet?

I bought the Listerine, but it's so dry here (until last night!) that I have not seen one single mosquito yet this year.
I'll keep you posted.....
mudpack
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:36 am

Deet works for mosquitoes. Vanilla works for flies and gnats.

Absorbine Jr. works for gnats too, but not any better than vanilla.

The vanilla fragrance oils that are used in soaps, candles, and lotions last the longest.
You can also use the extract that you find at the grocery store. Just make sure that it doesn't contain corn syrup.
copterdoc
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum