835 vs's 870

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

835 vs's 870

Postby ducksandfish » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:52 pm

brother in law is looking for good pump gun and can't decide between the 835 and 870.i say the 870 but need some back up here.give me the replie s.plus and minuses
made a move to the island,enjoy the many opportunities to fish and hunt.i have a new brother in law who enjoys the same passions,life is good.
ducksandfish
Newb

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:27 pm

lol..well, you want opinions. you're going to get 'em with this topic.

personally, i like the 835 UltiMag. i used one exclusively for 2 seasons hunting ducks, quail, grouse, doves, rabbits, and shooting clays. i did have one reoccuring mechanical issue with it. the ejector screw would fall out about every six months or so. it was a factory defect that Mossberg was more than happy to correct, but since i was replacing it i never bothered to send it back to them.

you can't go wrong with an 870 either. great gun and great track record. i assume that you are looking at the supermag for the 3.5" chamber.

i think the 835 is probably a better 3.5" gun..the overbored barrel which is actually closer in diameter to a 10ga than a 12 supposedly helps reduce recoil and pattern the bigger 3.5" loads better. also, the porting does seem to help a bit.

overall i think the 870 is probably the better gun. Mossy built the 835 specifically for for big shells. the 870 is just a nicer all around shooter. if you plan on shooting a lot of 2.75 or 3 inch stuff, i wouldn't even consider the 835. if you are planning on shooting 3.5 inch stuff ALOT. then the 835 is probably what you want.

there is my 2 cents.

good luck...i think either way he'll be happy.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:38 pm

i had an 835 and it jammed alot with 3.5s. i think i would buy 870. the wingmaster. i have a 870 wingmaster i used for years. but it only has 2 3/4 chamber. never had a problem with it.my dad does have a newer 835 that doesnt jam, but i like the 870 wingmaster all around better. i have no experience with the 870 express, but i have read where guys where having trouble with them.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:06 pm

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:49 pm

I bought an 870 magnum express 3", after several years of using my fathers wingmaster. Albeit not exactly the same gun, I was impressed with its performance. Never once had a problem with either. Cycles well, and no shell has gotten jammed. I personally like the 870, however both my good buddy and my brother shoot and 835 and have not had a bad word to say about it.

I will say this: the 835 if I am correct has a top tang safety whihc I like more than the 870's safety which is situated on the side of the trigger guard. tell him to go to the store and swing both around, take a look at the features he likes. In the end, the gun has got to fit you (er, um...him) well. It has to be the shooters opinon. the 870 and the 835 are possibly the most popular pump guns excluding the Nova, and chances are you can go to a range and shoot a few shells through either. This provided the owner will let you. I could understand why some people may not, so don't get distressed if they say no. Opnions come a dime a dozen. The best you can do is pick the gun up yourself, look over every inch of it, find what you like and don't. do not be afraid to take your time making up your mind.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby tengoose1 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:38 am

I have an 835 and its a noisy gun, it rattles a lot. I had an 870 wingmaster and never had a bit problems out of it. Both are good guns but if I had it to do over I would probably have bought an 870 supermag(I think).
tengoose1
hunter

Postby had » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:47 am

swamppuppy wrote:
overall i think the 870 is probably the better gun. Mossy built the 835 specifically for for big shells. the 870 is just a nicer all around shooter. if you plan on shooting a lot of 2.75 or 3 inch stuff, i wouldn't even consider the 835. if you are planning on shooting 3.5 inch stuff ALOT. then the 835 is probably what you want.

i agree. i don't like the way the bolt is on the super mag. the way it has that "dust cover" thing at the back. i guess it is a 3in bolt adapted to shot 3.5. if i was to buy a 870 i would get a 3in one like the wing master. nice gun. if i was buying to shot mostly 3.5 hands down i would go with the 835.
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:03 am

i have a buddy that uses a 3.5 mossy. everytime we get into birds he regrets it though. it kicks him like a mule. i never understood why people use the 3.5. personally, the 2 3/4 or 3 work fine.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby huntingiowa » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:13 am

I have owned both.....kicked the mossberg to the curb like an ol girlfriend. The 870 is far better.....the slide isn't as loose as the 870...feels like it is a bit sturdier.

The 835 kicks like a mule and so does the 870 but i think the 870 is the lesser of the two evils.

The one thing that i really hate about the 835 is the safety position. I do not like the safetey on top...i like it down on the trigger where my hand is.
2 cents.
Be thankful that we can enjoy our outdoors...
huntingiowa
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:45 am

yeah, safety position is a big factor for me. in fact, i almost didn't buy the benelli because of it. (benelli has it by the trigger guard) i prefer to have it on the tang like you find on the Mossy and the Browning BPS. the browning was the gun i ALMOST bought until one day i just couldn't see myself handing the Nova back to the store owner. lol.

normally, the safety by the trigger isn't a bother, but when it's cooooold outside and i find myself wearing thick neoprene gloves, it is sometime hard to get my fingers to the safety near the trigger guard.

as for recoil, yeah..any gun will stomp ya pretty good with a hot 3.5" load. truthfully, of all the 3.5" guns i've shot, i thought the Mossy kicked the least and the 870 the hardest.

another point..if you do alot of field hunting for upland birds i would NOT recommend the Mossy. it is not a fun gun to carry around on a walk. it just never "carried" well for me. the 870 was a much better gun to walk around with.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby huntingiowa » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:34 pm

so true on the walking with it.....any sort of walking for upland game....870 not the mossy....the other reason that i like the 870 is that i also do a lot of deer hunting....here in Iowa you have to use slug-NO RIFLE. So...the 870 is a great deer slayer and the rifled barrels are pretty easy to find also.
Be thankful that we can enjoy our outdoors...
huntingiowa
hunter

Postby Wags » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:01 am

I've never owned a Mossberg. Either you love or hate them. I've owned a 870 Express 3" Mag 12ga now for 18 years. One heck of a reliable work horse that is very versitle with accessories galore options for what ever your shotgun needs are. You can't go wrong with a 870 in my opinion.
Wags
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:45 am

870 all the way. I absolutely love my 870 wingmaster. I am transforming another 870 express 20 gauge into a turkey slaying gun. I own a Beretta xtrema I bought for $1000 and when the going gets tough I go back to the wingmaster. My dad has shot a wingmaster for at least 25 years. Mom bought it for him the first christmas after they got married and that was 25+years ago and it was used then. You really don't need the 3.5 in capabilities. I got a gun that would take it 4 years ago and I have maybe shot a box total through it.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:45 am

I used to have both the 870 Super Magnum & the 835 Ulti Mag. I did not keep the 870 but for about 2 weeks. I was so uncomfortable with the 870 that I went & traded it in for a 835 on opening day of turkey season a couple of years ago. I went straight out of the woods after the morning hunt to trade for the 835 It is the best gun I have ever owned. All of my friends use have one to. We hunt everthing in TN. that can be hunted with a shotgun. with no problems. Them 3.5 are nice for geese that just don't want land in the decoys. my 2 cents
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby crzyltllb55 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:27 am

870. mine was passed down to me and now is 19 years old and still drops ducks.not a tougher gun for the money.
crzyltllb55
Newb

Postby huntmq1 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:47 pm

MOSSBERG, HANDS DOWN! Everyone, you know who you are, kicks the Mossy for many reasons, whatever. I own five, I got the first one when I was, I think, ten. I'm now 35 and that gun still gets some work outs, NO problems. I've only had ONE problem with my 835. I found out later it was MY fault, not the guns. Everyone complains about the kick with the 3 1/2 inch shells? OK, so don't shoot the 3 & halfs in your 835. It does shoot shorter shells. I'm 5-11 and weigh 160 pounds, tall and thin. I shoot the 3 & halfs ALL season long and no complaints about the kick. Remember, it is a 12 gauge with 3 & halfs, not your .22 caliber rabbit gun you're shooting. If someone is noticing the kick that much while shooting at the bird or whatever, then in MY opinion some of it's in your head. You're expecting it to kick hard, so it's going to kick hard. I've shot up to four boxes of 3 & halfs in an afternoon during spring snow goose season. Ya, the shoulder was a little sore the next day, but enough to not use it anymore because of the "kick".......come on.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:21 pm

870 r awsome biggest bang for its buck! ive took a spill in literally freezing water, and it went with me, it still shot fine ive only had it jam once, and it wus because of ice (my fault).
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:03 pm

Well, it seems that you have already made up your mind. But, I'll throw my $0.02 in anyways.

I have both. They are for the most part the same gun, except for several BIG differences.

The 870 has a hard time ejecting 3 1/2 shells (SuperMagnum).
The 835 has no trouble ejecting shells of any kind

The 870 uses the crappy trigger guard safety
The 835 uses the very convenient (and ambidexterous) thumb safety

The 870 costs more
The 835 costs less (in my neck of the woods)

You might be able to tell which way I would have you choose, but I'm gonna leave it at that.

You can use my info or anyone elses to make yer "siztion" (as I call it)

But the best thing to do is to go to the range and try them yourself.

-Good Luck,
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

870 Super Mag hands down

Postby Quackcephus » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:58 pm

O.F. Mossberg & Sons make uthin' but $#!^ & they do not stand behind their guns. I had an 835 that went back to the factory 2x & they never could fix it. :eek: :thumbsdown:
Quackcephus
hunter

Re: 870 Super Mag hands down

Postby plainsman » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:38 pm

Quackcephus wrote:O.F. Mossberg & Sons make uthin' but $#!^ & they do not stand behind their guns. I had an 835 that went back to the factory 2x & they never could fix it. :eek: :thumbsdown:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Fact is that Mossberg has the best customer service bar none. I've never heard of a company that backs their guns like Mossberg does.....if they weren't sure of the guns they produce, they sure wouldn't offer a 10yr. warrenty.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Re: 870 Super Mag hands down

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:13 pm

plainsman wrote:
Quackcephus wrote:O.F. Mossberg & Sons make uthin' but $#!^ & they do not stand behind their guns. I had an 835 that went back to the factory 2x & they never could fix it. :eek: :thumbsdown:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Fact is that Mossberg has the best customer service bar none. I've never heard of a company that backs their guns like Mossberg does.....if they weren't sure of the guns they produce, they sure wouldn't offer a 10yr. warrenty.

That is one thing Remington will never do... Offer a 10 year warrenty on THEIR guns!

Stick with the Mossburg

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby plainsman » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:08 pm

Mossberg has been overtaking Remington for a few years now and the die-hard Rem. fans are ashamed to admit it. Mossberg has replaced the 870 in many military and law enforcement positions.Why??? Because Mossy has proven that they make a more dependable and rugged gun. Mossberg is continually making advancements while Remington has gone stagnant, relying on the Wingmaster to sustain it's reputation.Thats why Rem. added the Baikals/Spartan to the line-up,new blood....if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em out :laughing:
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:14 am

That's like saying "I got a flat on my Ford. That's twice this year. To hell with Ford, I'm buying a Chevy!". I've said it a million times, EVERY company out there has a screw up come off the line every once in a while. It's just the law of averages. You hate Mossy because they had a gun you bought screw up. If you read more threads, other guys hate Remington, Benelli, Stoegar,Beretta,Winchester etc...., because one of THOSE guns was a screw up and they to bought the screw up. If ya don't like Mossy, that's fine, get something else to carry from the truck.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum