Public Land in Texas

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Public Land in Texas

Postby TXducksanddeer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Hey y'all just curious because I'm hoping to do some public land hunting next season. I know it's a long way off but still...

Anyways I really don't understand it very well and I hoping for some tips and advice.

Are big rivers such as the brazos and bosque open to public land? Lake Waco?

How do you find out if a water source is open for public waterfowl hunting or not?

Are you allowed to just take a boat out, anchor it down, and set up?

If there is private land next to the water source are you still allowed to hunt it if you stay on the water?

NOT cyber scouting just in need of help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Re: Public Land in Texas

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:38 am

Public is done 1 of 3 ways. 1) What is published by TPWD and requires you to purchase a permit and then you get a booklet of all places that are public according to them. 2) Researching any lakes managed by the corp that does not fall into the above mentioned group and they will tell you if you are allowed to hunt, where you can hunt, and what you can hunt. Some require you to fill out paper work and apply for a permit, believe Waco is one of those, and others you just walk in without a care in the world. 3) Good luck interpreting river laws, some you can hunt, some you can't so I'm not even going to try and address it.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Re: Public Land in Texas

Postby TXducksanddeer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:43 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:Public is done 1 of 3 ways. 1) What is published by TPWD and requires you to purchase a permit and then you get a booklet of all places that are public according to them. 2) Researching any lakes managed by the corp that does not fall into the above mentioned group and they will tell you if you are allowed to hunt, where you can hunt, and what you can hunt. Some require you to fill out paper work and apply for a permit, believe Waco is one of those, and others you just walk in without a care in the world. 3) Good luck interpreting river laws, some you can hunt, some you can't so I'm not even going to try and address it.

Thank you.
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting