AR-15 help

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

AR-15 help

Postby waterdogds » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:07 pm

Bushmaster Vs. Stag Firearms. AR-15 223 Rem. I've narrowed my choices down to these two brands. Just wondering what you guys had to say. Any experiences, good or bad. Bring it!!!
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
waterdogds
hunter
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sopchoppy, Florida


Re: AR-15 help

Postby t_baker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:24 pm

Read Steve-o's thread on his.
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 7721
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: AR-15 help

Postby steve-o » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:07 pm

ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
User avatar
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4142
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: AR-15 help

Postby LongTom » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Bushmaster makes a nice AR and I am not familiar with Stag. Your biggest decision will be deciding on how to equip it.
I compete from the state level through to the Nationals at Camp Perry Ohio shooting service rifle competitions using iron sights shooting 2,3 and 600yd. The AR is a really accurate platform if equipped right.
RockRiver Arms has the #1 competing "all factory" rifle used at the Nationals although the majority of the competitors shoot rifles they have made changes on.
User avatar
LongTom
hunter
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: AR-15 help

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:10 am

I believe Stag is a sister co. of RR. My understanding is that CMT makes the parts (uppers and lowers) for both Stag and RRA, so they really are the same thing with different roll marks. Mark Malkowski the founder and President of Stag Arms used to work for and is the son of Teddy Malkowski, founder of CMT. CMT makes alot of parts for alot of top name AR manufacturers. I have a Stag with a few thousand rounds through her and have not had any issues at all.

So all that to say, between the Bushey and Stag... I stick with Stag... :thumbsup:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 2851
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: AR-15 help

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:15 am

Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 2851
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: AR-15 help

Postby waterdogds » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:16 am

Gunnysway wrote:I believe Stag is a sister co. of RR. My understanding is that CMT makes the parts (uppers and lowers) for both Stag and RRA, so they really are the same thing with different roll marks. Mark Malkowski the founder and President of Stag Arms used to work for and is the son of Teddy Malkowski, founder of CMT. CMT makes alot of parts for alot of top name AR manufacturers. I have a Stag with a few thousand rounds through her and have not had any issues at all.

So all that to say, between the Bushey and Stag... I stick with Stag... :thumbsup:


Thanks Gunny. It's a toss up and I need some first hand knowledge.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
waterdogds
hunter
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sopchoppy, Florida

Re: AR-15 help

Postby steve-o » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:57 am

I thought I should put my response from my build thread to you in here too...
steve-o wrote:
waterdogds wrote:
steve-o wrote:Bump for waterdogds


Thanks, Steve-O!!! I initially wanted to build one, but I was talked into purchasing a complete rifle. It was suggested to me, that I learn the basics of an AR and how it functions. Then make changes to suit my needs. I've never shot or handled an AR. Grew up shooting a Rem 700 30-06 and that's a really simple weapon. Reading this thread, at some points, was almost like reading Spanish. The gun store owner, so far, hasn't steered me in the wrong direction.


Don't buy a complete gun just because you don't know the basic of the gun. What better way to learn the basics of how it functions than assembling it a piece at a time. I had never shot or handled an AR type rifle until I built mine. Larry Potterfield taught me all I needed to know. I had my laptop sitting on the table while I assembled. I would pause and rewind the videos as needed.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
User avatar
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4142
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: AR-15 help

Postby Duck Nasty » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:45 am

I built mine and it was much easier than I thought it would be and I was able to build it the way I wanted it. Plus it came out much cheaper than if I wanted to buy that gun from a company.
User avatar
Duck Nasty
hunter
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:58 am
Location: Coastal NC

Re: AR-15 help

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:31 am

AR's are so 2012.

Sent from my horse and buggy
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
User avatar
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder
 
Posts: 3636
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:56 pm
Location: Wishing I was near the magical place of sugar

Re: AR-15 help

Postby waterdogds » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:40 am

I appreciate everyone's help. Whether to build, or buy complete was decided long ago. I have neither the time or tools needed to build and I'm a bit inpatient at times. So.....I went with the Stag Arms model 3. I'll be hitting the range tomorrow with a couple hundred rounds to play.
Attachments
IMAG0588-1.jpg
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
waterdogds
hunter
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sopchoppy, Florida

Re: AR-15 help

Postby Gunnysway » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:58 am

That rifle is every bit of bad @$$ :thumbsup:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 2851
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: AR-15 help

Postby steve-o » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:28 pm

waterdogds wrote:I appreciate everyone's help. Whether to build, or buy complete was decided long ago. I have neither the time or tools needed to build and I'm a bit inpatient at times. So.....I went with the Stag Arms model 3. I'll be hitting the range tomorrow with a couple hundred rounds to play.

Had I bought one, it would have been that. Good looking gun.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
User avatar
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4142
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: AR-15 help

Postby waterdogds » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:19 pm

steve-o wrote:
waterdogds wrote:I appreciate everyone's help. Whether to build, or buy complete was decided long ago. I have neither the time or tools needed to build and I'm a bit inpatient at times. So.....I went with the Stag Arms model 3. I'll be hitting the range tomorrow with a couple hundred rounds to play.

Had I bought one, it would have been that. Good looking gun.


Out the door price was on point. Gun is nicely outfitted from the factory. Saying I'm pumped about shooting it tomorrow, would be an understatement. :yes:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
waterdogds
hunter
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sopchoppy, Florida

Re: AR-15 help

Postby waterdogds » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Got out to the range this afternoon for a little shooting. I'm pretty happy with the first mag at 100 yds with flip up iron sights. My girl.got in on the fun as well :thumbsup: I've never seen her be so serious about shooting, like she was today.
Attachments
IMAG0594-1.jpg
IMAG0592-1.jpg
IMAG0589-1.jpg
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
waterdogds
hunter
 
Posts: 1877
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sopchoppy, Florida


Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bighop, goosegetter79, Gunnysway, mart, MontanaBirdNewbie, Professor_Leakey, quacknstack6 and 39 guests