jerky

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

jerky

Postby UPduckhunter » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:52 am

I found this recipe this spring after i came back from turkey hunting... it is phenominal. I use it for every thing from venison too geese. This is the best jerky i have ever tasted.

I got this recipe from the national wild turkey federation's website.

Wild Turkey Jerky

1 pound boneless turkey
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons liquid smoke

Cut turkey into even sized strips. Mix salt and remaining ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Combine turkey with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for six to 12 hours. Cover oven rack with foil. Place turkey on foil. Bake at 160 degrees for four hours. Turn, and bake another four hours. (Note: When using a dehydrator, follow the same method of preparation and place in unit to cure, checking every hour until the meat becomes stiff, yet will still bend easily. A dehydrator will reduce cooking time by almost half.)

I usually end up making 2 or 3 times the maranade just to be sure it covers all of the meat.
UPduckhunter
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:00 am

im using this recipe as we speak with some teal breasts i had in the freezer. this is my first attempt to make jerky and im a bit worried. everything seems fine except the 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke. im starting to wonder if it was supposed to be 2 TEAspoons because that stuff smells STRONG in the mixture! i used everything to the exact amount specified but i also added some brown sugar because for some reason it seemed like it would go great on jerky. ended up using about 2 tablespoons worth of it. i used a variety of different strips and sizes to see which turns out the best. my dehydrator is kind of cheap from wal mart and it has no temperature gauge, but ive had it on for about 15 minutes and my meat thermometer is reading at 170 degrees which is great. (it seems that 160 degrees is perfect for ducks.)

a couple of questions. should i have tenderized the meat first? also my dehydrator came with a few beef jerky mixes and it has a spice packet and a cure packet. curious to know more about the curing stuff. welp im gonna put it on the racks in about 30 minutes and check them after about 4 hours. ill post up some results. thanks again for the recipe!
agengo02
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:52 am

ok so i stayed up until 5am for this jerky! im extremely impressed with the way it turned out. i made them a little thicker than i should have so it took longer and they didnt reach a level of doneness that i wanted them to, but they were cooked all the way through and were that perfect reddish pink color in the middle. but my God you lose ALOT of the volume during the dehydration process. had 5 good sized teal breasts and ended up with not much! i guess ill have to keep on killing ducks to try out different jerky recipes. definitely going to make the slices thinner next time too. thanks very much for posting this recipe.
agengo02
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:01 am

agengo02 wrote: curious to know more about the curing stuff.

the "cure" is really just sodium nitrate. Its what makes the meat edible. Most of the recipes I see here don't use any of it. Maybe its just me, but I am really scared of dying, so I always use some. I make my jerky and large batches and end up keeping it for a long period of time, so I think that makes it even more important. If you are going to eat it in a day or 2, you will probably be o'kay. Every week it sits on your counter, you are putting another bullet in to the gun while playing Russian Roullette. Although it probably won't kill you, I am all set with spending a week on the can throwing up from both ends.
http://www.askthemeatman.com/how_and_wh ... itrite.htm
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby UPduckhunter » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:27 pm

i have never used a dehydrator or sodium nitrate. I never tenderize the meat either. did the jerky from the dehydrator get really dry like store bought beef jerky or did it retain a little mositure? When i make mine in the oven it usually retatains a little moisture. I usually keep out 1/2 or 1/4 of the batch and throw the rest in the freezer till later. glad you like it. it makes awsome venison jerky too.
UPduckhunter
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:20 pm

ya it retained some moisture. i think im just going to pound the crap out of it and flatten it out real good. that way i can cut more uniform strips. im gonna test it out with different spices and what not. im really pleased with that dehydrator. it was just a cheap $30 one from walmart and i was a little bit concearned because it didnt have a tempurature regulator. but after some testing it runs at 170 degrees on the dot the whole time which works great for me. next time around im gonna be more patient and not check it every 20 minutes!!
agengo02
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:00 am

definately don't check it often. everytime you open the lid, you lose heat and add humidity. to get a nice clean thin cut, cut it while it is still semi frozen. I use a bread knife to do mine and it comes out perfect.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Quacker Tracker NY » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:16 pm

I tried this recipe the other night outstanding.
Quacker Tracker NY
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:22 am

i gotta wait for this damn split to be over with so i can try some more!
agengo02
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking