Quail and Dove

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Quail and Dove

Postby quack-quack » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:18 pm

I'm just getting back to nc and haven't hunted either in years. I don't want your spots (well if you want give them to me I'll take them) , I'm just asking how is the hunting on average in SE NC ?
I found a couple public game lands but is most of the hunting on game land or are farmers generally nice about granting permission?

The dog is gonna miss the pheasants so need to find something to keep us both active when duck season isn't on!
quack-quack
hunter

Re: Quail and Dove

Postby quack-quack » Thu May 01, 2014 9:42 am

Anyone shoot quail here?
quack-quack
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Thu May 01, 2014 11:39 am

Hardly any quail left to speak about.
Sitll a few pockets downeast left of them here and there, but people are tight lipped about them.
Most of the hunting for them is pen raised released birds.
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Thu May 01, 2014 11:52 am

One of my goals in life is to get a piece of land big enough to have some wild coveys. I need to start saving but I would love to have a piece to manage for quail extensively. Unfortunately It would require alot of land.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Dingbatter » Thu May 01, 2014 6:11 pm

Whats a Quail?
Dingbatter
hunter

Postby quack-quack » Thu May 01, 2014 6:55 pm

Well if anyone wants. I got a dog and we'd love to guide with ya
quack-quack
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Fri May 02, 2014 10:53 am

First you need to kill all the coyotes and foxes if you want to find any quail . Or you can just pay someone to hunt on their preserve. If Busick's Plantation in Caswell is still open, that would be the place to go. I have only seen one covey of quail in 10 years.

Doves in central sucks ! Down east the agriculture is doing great for it.

When you get really bored, go shoot some crows. Its duck hunting in the summer time. You want to measure yourself, go crow hunting.
puppypopper
hunter

Postby quack-quack » Fri May 02, 2014 10:57 am

Deal! You got some land with coyotes let me know, I'll help with the population!
Never been crow hunting.. What the hell do you do with them when your done.. tell me you don't use it for anything but compost
quack-quack
hunter

Postby puppypopper » Fri May 02, 2014 3:41 pm

Crows = compost

The old saying is " Kill a Crow, Save a Duck ".
puppypopper
hunter

Postby grayhouse farms » Sat May 03, 2014 10:21 am

The Quail has been hit from all sides. When I was a kid I did not see raccoons, hawks, and coyotes which all want to eat them. Fescue was taking over as the pasture grass to use (fescue= wildlife DEATH) and every fence line would be covered in stuff grown along it. Ag field were small with tree and brush lines around them. The crops grown had weeds in with them such as ragweed. Now there are clean fence lines (just spray roundup under them) large clean ag. fields, Fescue, and all the critters that want to eat them. If anyone set out to destroy quail they could not have had a better plan.
grayhouse farms
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting