What about them Gators?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

What about them Gators?

Postby quack-quack » Mon May 05, 2014 10:39 am

Ok I have move to the SE coast and I wouldn't walk near the shallows myself, much less send my dog! How the heck do y'all hunt around here?? It seems like every swamp or waterway is filled with gators!
quack-quack
hunter

Re: What about them Gators?

Postby NCfowl » Mon May 05, 2014 11:16 am

Hunting wise, I've only seen one ever in NC and I have hunted the coast for many years... and that was in a state impoundment during teal season.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby quack-quack » Mon May 05, 2014 11:35 am

Where in NC? I haven't been in any impoundments but I'm south by SC and I've got em in the pond behind my house, all around gold courses here and been warned by neighbors to watch dogs.
quack-quack
hunter

Postby quack-quack » Mon May 05, 2014 11:36 am

Had this 8footer out the other day saying hello!
quack-quack
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Mon May 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Hobucken NC
NCfowl
hunter

Postby quack-quack » Mon May 05, 2014 6:25 pm

Yea that's like 4 hours north though. I mean it's not that far but yea I don't know the coast that well yet so maybe just SE NC has em ?
quack-quack
hunter

Postby creekcaptain » Mon May 05, 2014 7:52 pm

My dog doesn't hit the backwaters, river, swamp until the November split in SE NC. Sometimes not until after Thanksgiving. The gators are there, believe that. The salt marsh doesn't seem to hold them north of Bald Head Island, from my experience. Gators can and are in the coastal waters all the way to Pamlico county. I think the main concentration of them is from Onslow county south. They are as far inland as Fayetteville all along the river, and there are populations in most rivers north of us.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nc-officers ... pound-dog/

I've seen some close (as in over 14 ft.) to the size of this guy on several occasions. Supposedly there is only 3-4k of them in the whole state, not sure about that one. :fingerhead:
creekcaptain
hunter

What about them Gators?

Postby quack-quack » Mon May 05, 2014 8:09 pm

And we have no gator season why ?!!

So I guess we are going to be finding some wood duck holes!
quack-quack
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue May 06, 2014 5:29 am

I hunt my dog all of october seaosn accept in one creek where its not uncommon to see 3 or 4 every trip until it gets cold. It sucks cause i loose birds more than i would with her but its just not worth it. Its eerie to come around a corner and see a huge splash coming from the bank or not notice the 8 footer on the big log until you are right next to it. I even feel ok taking her in most places during teal season, but this creek is loaded with them.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Tue May 06, 2014 6:30 am

quack-quack wrote:And we have no gator season why ?!!

Because NC State, years ago, sent a grad student team to Wilmington to do a census. They stayed at the Blockade Runner at Wrightsville Beach, screwed around for a couple of weeks, then reported that there was not a significant population of alligators in the lower Cape Fear River. Funny, because at the same time I was frogging on a creek that feeds into the Cape Fear, and counted 48 in less than a mile, just on the one creek. My guess is the team never left the beach.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby quack-quack » Tue May 06, 2014 1:24 pm

That's why in a Tarheel !
How do we get this petition started, there is no way we shouldn't have a season.. These damn things are scary
quack-quack
hunter

Postby black_duck » Wed May 07, 2014 6:12 am

I remember a few years back at a big farm in Hyde County a Mexican farm hand went into one of the farms big grain bins to check on something(this was in Febuary). He came running out of the bin screaming Spanish and the farmer had no clue what he was talking about. The Mexican led the farmer to about twenty yards of the bin and wouldn't get any closer. The farmer poked his head in and there was an 18 foot alligator hybernating inside.
black_duck
hunter

Postby Sir Big Spur » Wed May 07, 2014 3:04 pm

I actually use an alligator as a retriever. His name is Craig.
Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips.
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Wed May 07, 2014 3:50 pm

Sir Big Spur wrote:I actually use an alligator as a retriever. His name is Craig.

Did you get rid of Wally?
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:41 pm

wahoowilly wrote:
quack-quack wrote:And we have no gator season why ?!!

Because NC State, years ago, sent a grad student team to Wilmington to do a census. They stayed at the Blockade Runner at Wrightsville Beach, screwed around for a couple of weeks, then reported that there was not a significant population of alligators in the lower Cape Fear River. Funny, because at the same time I was frogging on a creek that feeds into the Cape Fear, and counted 48 in less than a mile, just on the one creek. My guess is the team never left the beach.

Pretty sure I know the creek you are talking about. 1 counted 23 on about a mile stretch of a creek off the river..and that's just the ones I saw.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Sir Big Spur » Fri May 09, 2014 1:11 pm

Westtennduckhunter wrote:
Sir Big Spur wrote:I actually use an alligator as a retriever. His name is Craig.

Did you get rid of Wally?

I don't want to talk about it :sad:
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Postby grey duck » Sat May 10, 2014 8:37 pm

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1731417938

Check this out. Never seen anything like this before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grey duck
hunter

Postby quack-quack » Sun May 11, 2014 10:22 am

Was that you grey duck? If so you got big kahunas, if be turning around in a second!

How hard is it to get a SC tag y'all know? Seems they don't give out many
quack-quack
hunter

Postby grey duck » Sun May 11, 2014 6:56 pm

Wasn't me. They issue 1000 tags a year. Our population is estimated around 100k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grey duck
hunter

Postby quack-quack » Mon May 12, 2014 7:30 am

Anyone who ends up getting one a tag, I'd love to ride along!
quack-quack
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:32 am

Q-Q: you probably know this....but I am now thinking of duck hunting, which is ridiculous in June.

My experience only: they are entirely dormant after Thanksgiving. I have been hunting open big water here for years (which admittedly is not their primary play area) and have never seen one. 14 years running.

I hunted a creek off Lejeune 2 years ago during the early Nov split. I saw 2, one was massive. This was THE LAST time I will ever hunt the early Nov split.......too warm/no divers anyway/fishing is too good.

The puddle pirates and creek/impoundment hunters may have better input there. But for main rivers, I say you are good after Turkey Day.

Not sure if you are joking on the gator tags. They are federally protected. A Lieutenant from Louisiana was fined quite heavily last year on Topsail Island last year.
Paul26
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:52 am

Y'all ever seen gators across the Inter-coastal waterway? I hunt a few potholes on an island across the ICW and worry about standing in the water in cat tails during teal season. I don't want to become a one legged hunter or have a 3 legged duck dog.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby wahoowilly » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:Y'all ever seen gators across the Inter-coastal waterway? I hunt a few potholes on an island across the ICW and worry about standing in the water in cat tails during teal season. I don't want to become a one legged hunter or have a 3 legged duck dog.

Yes...in New Hanover and Brunswick Counties.
wahoowilly
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:23 am

saw some at camp bryan the other day
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting