calls

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: Mallyard, okiequacker, stumpjumper, callinfowl

calls

Postby oltlover » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:04 pm

one of the best calls ive used is an olt dd120! id love to find one or more!help :D :D
oltlover
Newb

Postby Leadhead » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:25 am

anything with haydel written on it works very well.
Leadhead

calls

Postby CANEMAN » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:38 pm

I made an attempt at getting some feedback on Duck Commander calls. I prefer the original and the cut-down reacher. I will add that the cut-down call that I bought came out of the wrapper with feathers!!! This was a nice change. Usually I have to tune on them for quite a while no matter what brand it is. :wink:
CANEMAN
hunter

OLTLOVER

Postby LA-NDN » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:21 pm

WHAT ARE YOU CALLING TAME DUCKS. GET A REAL CALL
LA-NDN
Newb

calls

Postby CANEMAN » Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:09 pm

Hey, La-ndn, who was that comment pointed towards? You made some lame statement about getting a real call. I also noticed that you made no attempt at suggesting a "real" call. Indulge/humor me! 8)
CANEMAN
hunter

Postby redlegged mallard » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:35 am

haydel is the way to go the redlegged mallard or the dr double reed works very well the new call out by haydals the TC02 is a very nice call .
redlegged mallard
hunter

Re: calls

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:20 am

CANEMAN wrote:Hey, La-ndn, who was that comment pointed towards? You made some lame statement about getting a real call. I also noticed that you made no attempt at suggesting a "real" call. Indulge/humor me! 8)
WELL OLT IS FOR KIDS USE A DUCK COMMAMDER OR RICH N TONE LEAVE THE SILLY KID STUFF AT HOME TRY DOUBLE REED ANY HAYDEL WILL DO

Postby Yamaharcing39 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:17 pm

I use a buck Gardner double reed call to start working them makes a loud clear hail call and I use a Mallard Tone double reed to bring em home it makes a nice feed call.
Yamaharcing39
Newb

ducks

Postby hunterfisher1954 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:47 am

are the ducks in wash? because i hunt the grass lands in ca. the birds are not here yet.
hunterfisher1954

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:44 am

What is up with the trash talk? :?

To each his own; live and let live. Words to live by.

I use a RNT open water and a Foiles Timber rattler, both are acrylics.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Remington Man » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:18 pm

[quote="h2ofwlr"]What is up with the trash talk? :?

To each his own; live and let live. Words to live by.

I use a RNT open water and a Foiles Timber rattler, both are acrylics.[/quote]
Remington Man
Newb

the real deal

Postby kilndux » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:11 pm

The best call to this duck caller is the Primos Wench II. Duck Commander gets an honorable mention.
I'd rather be hunting.
kilndux
hunter

Rich-N-Tone

Postby greentimber » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:22 am

I've used 2,double reed old style RNT for about 9 years and I've had no complaints, just this year I purchase my first acrylic call(double reed RNT daisy cutter). I love it. This call worked wonders on the few mallards I've seen and killed, and even them crazy gadwalls like this call.

See ya in the flooded greentimber
greentimber
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:51 pm

$130 echo, $12 cut-down commander, some $8 big river call. I use the big river more than anything else, its the only one that has NEVER stuck or frozen up.
Fowlercon
hunter

Reeds sticking, use chapstick

Postby greentimber » Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:17 am

All calls stick even the ones that say they blown when their wet, but in time they all stick. Years ago my grandfather show me how to help prevent sticking reeds and it works. I use all double reed calls and I'm an aggresive caller, therefore sometimes the reeds stick, so when they stick I use chapstick of all things. Just be careful not to bend the reeds and get out of the water if your going to take the reeds out and add your chapstick. Your looking at a dipstick who learned that the hard way. :lol: :lol:
Take'em when their backpeddling. GREENHEADS ONLY!!!!
greentimber
hunter

The RNT Quack head

Postby khurrum » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:35 pm

Hi,
I just purchased a duck call because the one that was passed down to me was a peice of swollen crap! hard to blow, no raspyness, absolutly no loudness so i purchased this new RNT Quack Head, it is a great call and the loudness and crispness is amazing, it is also not that expencive but truly built for the hardcore waterfowler, i would suggest it to any waterfowler (very easy to blow).

Quackhead
The Quackhead Brand of calls was designed and built by RNT, for the die-hard, hardcore waterfowler, who demands true, consistent sound and performance from a call, even under the most extreme hunting conditions. Through persistent research and design development RNT has given the Quackhead brand of calls its own unique sound while incorporating some of the trademark features that go into each and every RNT call to produce this very economically priced line of calls. Each call is individually tuned and tested to assure that you receive the highest quality production call in the field. Quackhead calls are ready to put meat on your table!

J-Frame Duck Call
The Original J-Frame call is a single reed Arkansas style duck call. The name J-Frame was derived from the appearance of the single reed and cork assembly. The cork slot along with the profile of the tone board, forms the shape of the letter ā€œJā€.This single reed call was designed to be a versatile, easy blowing, wet blowing, nasty, duck-on-a-stick, duck call. Loud raspy quacks, soft seductive quacks, and screaming Arkansas style hail calls can all be done with this call. Open water or flooded timber, this call will flat get with it.

click below to listen to it. http://www.rntcalls.com/RNT_sounds/main ... ckhead.wav
khurrum
Newb

calls

Postby dckhnt3inch » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:36 pm

i'm a 15year old kid that has been calling for 5 years and i have always used a cutdown cocobola and acrylic and just and acrylic both are dobble reeded and i have out called many adults like ull belive me but i have brought many green heads back to my spead.
dckhnt3inch
Newb

Postby khurrum » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:20 am

Hey what a coincidence i am also 15! this is my first year waterfowling and i haven't learned how to call too many duck but today i called in 4 ducks out of the 10 we saw. acctully i was quite amazed because it was going in the opposite direction with a flock of teal and it was pretty far of but i really reached out to it and made it turn and fly right over my face!!! I bagged that one, once again with size 4 shot (3/4 ounces)!! i don't know why people think that the 12 gauge is much better then the 20?
khurrum
Newb

Postby Mallyard » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:33 am

I'm 14 hehe one year short... anyways i've been calling for 5 years also and found that hadyls and Primos are the best. The primos wench and the PHAT lady are the calls I use most. but I do like the haydles single reed. I recived the phat lady for christmas and never touched one of my other calls since.

Mallyard 8)
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dckhnt3inch » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:58 pm

ive been doing it for 3 years. so i hace a good idea of what i should do. now dose any one hunt divers(blue bills, buffle heads, old squaws).if you do let me some of ur tricks.
dckhnt3inch
Newb

Postby GatorDuck » Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:28 pm

i use a bag of milo :lol: :mrgreen:
GatorDuck
hunter

Postby JIMBOTHEDUCKMAN » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:00 pm

REGARDING DUCK COMMANDER CALLS AND PHIL ROBERTSON HIMSELF LET ME TELL YOU... I LIVED IN MONROE, LOUISIANA FOR 2 YEARS AND HAD THE PRIVILEGE OF VISITING PHIL AT HIS HOME. I HAVE NEVER MET SUCH HOSPITABLE PEOPLE IN MY LIFE AS PHIL AND KAY ROBERTSON. I SHOWED UP THERE UNANNOUNCED ONE DAY TO BUY SOME DUCK CALLS AND BOTH PHIL AND KAY WELCOMED ME WITH OPEN ARMS. BELIEVE ME, KAY CAN FLAT OUT PUT A MEAL ON THE TABLE. ANYWAY AFTER TALKING DUCK CALLS FOR A WHILE PHIL TOOK ME OUT IN HIS BOAT AND SHOWED ME HIS BLINDS. WHAT A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE. HE TOOK THE TIME TO SHARE SOME MIGHTY IMPORTANT WORDS FROM THE GOOD BOOK AS WELL. I LEFT FEELING LIKE I HAD KNOWN THE MAN ALL MY LIFE.

SO FOR SOMEONE TO SAY THAT PHIL ROBERTSON IS NOT SINCERE I MUST STRONGLY DISAGREE. HE PUTS HIS HEART AND SOUL INTO EVERYTHING HE DOES WITH THE LORD COMING FIRST. I WILL PUT HIS PRODUCTS UP AGAINST ANYBODY'S. AND TO THE GENTLEMAN WHO STATED THAT HE HUNTS "PRIVATE LEASES," WELL LET ME ENLIGHTEN YOU. MOST OF THEM DO. PHIL HOWEVER BUILT HIS REPUTATION IN THE BACKWATERS OF THE OUACHITA RIVER AS A HARDCORE GUIDE. HARDLY A PRIVATE LEASE. I THINK HE'S EARNED THE RIGHT TO SIT ON A HONEY HOLE AND HAVE DUCKS POUR IN ON HIM. AFTERALL, ISN'T THAT ONE OF HIS 10 COMMANDMENTS? GO WHERE THE DUCKS GO.

PERSONALLY I CARRY 100% DUCK COMMANDER CALLS. I REFUSE TO ENGAGE IN NEGATIVE DIALOGUE ABOUT ANY OTHER CALL MAKERS BECAUSE THEY ALL HAVE SOMETHING GOOD TO OFFER. BUT PHIL ROBERTSON IS THE REAL DEAL. WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET.
JIMBOTHEDUCKMAN
Newb

Re: calls

Postby duckkiller7 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:04 pm

Obviously this guest is the sharpest butter knife in the drawer. 90% of a Duck Commanders are pure copies of Olts. There has been more Olt duck calls sold by over 50% probably than anyother duck calls ever made. So I ask you, why go with a copy or generic version, Why not get the real THING.
Anonymous wrote:
CANEMAN wrote:Hey, La-ndn, who was that comment pointed towards? You made some lame statement about getting a real call. I also noticed that you made no attempt at suggesting a "real" call. Indulge/humor me! 8)
WELL OLT IS FOR KIDS USE A DUCK COMMAMDER OR RICH N TONE LEAVE THE SILLY KID STUFF AT HOME TRY DOUBLE REED ANY HAYDEL WILL DO
duckkiller7
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:15 am

Duck commander (original) has a nice sound to it but I don't like the doublereed setup. I can't get enough different sounds out of a DR as I can with a SR. I have always used a D2 olt as my main call and I use to guide at a duck club in arkansas years ago. Me and alot of other arkansas guides never had mallards (or customers) complaining about our calling. And to the guest posted above, I'm not a kid. Bottom line is use the call that you have confidence with and that will get em close.
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum