Greensters Shrimp and duck

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Greensters Shrimp and duck

Postby greenster » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:12 pm

I've been cooking this for sometime, but I figured I would share it with DHC. It's a true Southern dish. I took all the extreme spice out of it. And I like it a little better without all the spice, it has more flavor.

I don't have any real recipe for it, I just add duck breast, shrimp as I see fit, but ill try to give you an idea. This will be based on 1 serving, or plate for one person.

12-shrimp

1/2-1- mallard breast. (More for teal, wood duck, etc)

8oz of roux based duck sauce.

3/4 cup of Button mushrooms

1 box of Tony chachere's Creole dirty rice. 8oz-10oz person

1 1/2-Table spoons of Cajun seasoning. ( I use the "slap ya mama seasoning" , pictured below)

1/4 cup of chopped green onions

3/4 C Brown Gravy

1/4 C Burgundy, or 1/8 c bourbon (crown for me)

Slice the duck breast in long ¼” thick bite sized strips

Melt butter, add shrimp and sauté over high heat for 2 - 3 minutes.
Add mushrooms, green onions, Cajun Spice and duck meat and sauté for 1 minute.
Add Burgundy and Brown Gravy and bring to a simmer.
Serve over heated dirty rice.
Sprinkle rim with Creole spice, approximately 1 tsp.

Add the Thick duck sauce to the simmering mixture.

I serve with red hot potatoes, which is red potatoes cooked in crawfish boil and smashed, mashed, creamed which ever you call it, I mash em. and server with you favorite cold beer. I prefer dos equis.

Last edited by greenster on Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby brassass » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:51 pm

wow, sounds spectacular, i will be trying it out this weekend, jeez that just made me extremely hungry
brassass
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Kiskadinna » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:20 pm

Hey Greenster, looks awesome - one question though - I understand a roux and learned from friends how to make a real roux, but I'm not sure what you mean by roux based duck sauce?
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby greenster » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:15 pm

Pretty much all your going to do is make or buy a Cajun duck sauce, or mild duck sauce and use the roux base to thicken and add color to it. It should be Thick, and DARK almost a Grey color.

I buy mine from a older lady in East central, LA. But the thickness before simmering is about the same as a, Asian duck sauce, available at most stores. The purpose is just to mix well, not to overpower.

also a note, If you do not like mushrooms, this is not the recipe for you.

for some of you who do not know how to make a Roux (ROO) heres a step by step for a White Roux.

http://www.filtsai.com/cooking/roux/[/url]
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby greenster » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:31 am

I'll be cooking some of this up.. This week some time.. I'll get Pic's for you guys.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking