Questions about military.

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Re: Questions about military.

Postby lil_shawn1990 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:45 pm

If you are going into the corps then dont expect to get E3 for an AA. Maybe an E2. I am a Marine Sgt. If you are considering officer in the navy then why not in the Corps. Best advise ive ever heard was finish college then serve. All 3 branches can put you through college beforehand if u sign a contract for afterwards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
lil_shawn1990
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Tue May 20, 2014 7:58 pm

lil_shawn1990 wrote:If you are going into the corps then dont expect to get E3 for an AA. Maybe an E2. I am a Marine Sgt. If you are considering officer in the navy then why not in the Corps. Best advise ive ever heard was finish college then serve. All 3 branches can put you through college beforehand if u sign a contract for afterwards.

I would be happy with either but the thing about officers in the marines is they die more often I have read. Other than that there is no other reason besides that my family wants me to be safe I don't know which one is safer so some insight on that would be better. You guys are propably going to say if your scared then its not for you. True I understand that. I just don't see any other job I want to do. In other words what is the safer option officer or enlisted. Sorry I am so clueless.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:06 pm

Tryingtaxi wrote:
lil_shawn1990 wrote:If you are going into the corps then dont expect to get E3 for an AA. Maybe an E2. I am a Marine Sgt. If you are considering officer in the navy then why not in the Corps. Best advise ive ever heard was finish college then serve. All 3 branches can put you through college beforehand if u sign a contract for afterwards.

I would be happy with either but the thing about officers in the marines is they die more often I have read. Other than that there is no other reason besides that my family wants me to be safe I don't know which one is safer so some insight on that would be better. You guys are propably going to say if your scared then its not for you. True I understand that. I just don't see any other job I want to do. In other words what is the safer option officer or enlisted. Sorry I am so clueless.

First off a marine officer should be an actual leader and sacrifice is what drives that. Does that mean you're more likely to die, no. But considering the whole reason you do or don't want to be an officer has nothing to do with leadership I'd recommend you don't go that route or the Corps in general.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Wed May 21, 2014 3:33 am

I'm gonna second the go to college first advice. If you have any inclination to go to college, do it! It will open up more doors and provide you with a fall back in case you do end up getting medically retired or some how separated early before you qualify for a pension. Just had a brush with possible involuntary separation myself and it made me realize how unprepared I am to leave the Army. Always have a back up plan, and having a college degree is a great back up plan.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Wed May 21, 2014 6:01 am

Bro man....

Go to college... that will buy you some time to figure things out.

As far as the whole "dying more often" part... of course marine officers are statistically going to be killed in action more often because they are on the front lines fighting the fight rather than sitting hundreds of miles off the coast watching from a computer monitor. Their jobs is inherently more dangerous, probably one of the reasons they take so much pride in what they do.

I fly for the navy in a helicopter that is older than I am. I've lost good friends due to crashes and I've even been in one myself. I know that it's a high risk job, and any flight could potentially be my last. Is what it is... we do what we do. I couldn't fathom sitting in a cubicle all day.

Trey
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Wed May 21, 2014 12:57 pm

I was originally wanting to be a pilot but I can't since I don't have the eyes. I will go to college and probably end up being a doctor. I couldn't stand sitting in a small area I would go crazy with my ADHD. I may become an officer only time will tell but I am really leaning towards doctor or nuclear. I watched a tv show a few years ago and the guy was in the military and he would treat for the guys who got their legs blown off and stuff like that it really interested me and really was wanting to do that.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby lil_shawn1990 » Wed May 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Tryingtaxi wrote:I was originally wanting to be a pilot but I can't since I don't have the eyes. I will go to college and probably end up being a doctor. I couldn't stand sitting in a small area I would go crazy with my ADHD. I may become an officer only time will tell but I am really leaning towards doctor or nuclear. I watched a tv show a few years ago and the guy was in the military and he would treat for the guys who got their legs blown off and stuff like that it really interested me and really was wanting to do that.

Like you said earlier. If you aren't willing to sacrifice everything to protect the Marines in your charge, then officer or enlisted is not the place for ya in the Corps. However I would highly suggest going to college to be a doctor then join the navy and treat those Marines that did sacrifice themselves. If you are dead set on not going to college first then u could always be a corpsman in the navy.

lil_shawn1990
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Wed May 21, 2014 7:12 pm

lil_shawn1990 wrote:
Tryingtaxi wrote:I was originally wanting to be a pilot but I can't since I don't have the eyes. I will go to college and probably end up being a doctor. I couldn't stand sitting in a small area I would go crazy with my ADHD. I may become an officer only time will tell but I am really leaning towards doctor or nuclear. I watched a tv show a few years ago and the guy was in the military and he would treat for the guys who got their legs blown off and stuff like that it really interested me and really was wanting to do that.

Like you said earlier. If you aren't willing to sacrifice everything to protect the Marines in your charge, then officer or enlisted is not the place for ya in the Corps. However I would highly suggest going to college to be a doctor then join the navy and treat those Marines that did sacrifice themselves. If you are dead set on not going to college first then u could always be a corpsman in the navy.

College all the way. I am pretty set on the doctor but like I said time will only tell. Thanks for all the input guys.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:14 am

Regardless of the branch of service or whether enlisted or officer, when you sign that contract, you are giving your life away to the United States of America. You are then obligated to do whatever necessary to defend this great country, including die if necessary. You should think long and hard about making such a commitment. If you feel that you would have ANY hesitation to step across that line, then forget the military. Don't waste the recruiters time.
By the way, Marine is always capitalized.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:19 am

riverrat47 wrote:Regardless of the branch of service or whether enlisted or officer, when you sign that contract, you are giving your life away to the United States of America. You are then obligated to do whatever necessary to defend this great country, including die if necessary. You should think long and hard about making such a commitment. If you feel that you would have ANY hesitation to step across that line, then forget the military. Don't waste the recruiters time.
By the way, Marine is always capitalized.

Agreed. Enough dumb shits signed up for benefits when the amount of bonuses, etc went through the roof these past few years. As a result the amount of crap bags is way up. If you're not considering joining for the right reasons, save your self the answer. ESPECIALLY if you're looking to commission. There's enough crappy leaders out there already, let's not add another selfish person to a leadership role.

Btw it's never bothered me when people don't capitalize it. I know it drives plenty of devils crazy but it's never gotten under my skin.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:59 pm

I am enlisted in the Marines for the past 10 years as infantry then to marsoc. Figure out what you want before you go in. Don't let the recruiter tell you what you will be good at. They are just filling spaces. In recruit training you can get E-2 upon graduation unless you are the company honor grad then that's the only way to get E-3. Again message me if you have any questions message me and I can point you in the right direction

Sent from hades
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby Airborne28 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:45 am

Tryingtaxi wrote:Tknight- navy I plan on going in as an officer. Marines I would like to enlist if I could. I planned on paying for my college so I could get my doctorates. If I had my AA and preformed well in boot camp could I get a higher rank than E-3?

Bluesky- yes associates of arts I should have it about a year from now.

Some of the main reasons I want to me in medical is because I like to care for people,they make good money, and if I get discharged for back problems again I could get a job easily since I have that experience.

Ok, reality check. With your med problems, you won't get taken by any service right now. You come with a lot of medical issues. They don't deliniate between soft skin ( non-gun fighters) and meat eaters ( gun fighters) MOS's at the medical portion of MEPS. The MED people don't care what you think you want to do. If you had a BA or BS and were looking to go medical that MAY change the rules in your favor.

AAs will do little for you in the Military. You might start at E-2 or 3, but after that your still gonna have to meet the service requirments for the next rank. I am not trying to be terse, but as a Platoon Sergant who HAD to do recruiting duty in 07-09, even then you would be a hard sell to any service.

Airborne
Airborne28
hunter

Previous

Return to Military Forum