Clara Robinson dies at age 97

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Clara Robinson dies at age 97

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:49 am

Clara Robinson dies at 97
Doug Smith, Star Tribune(Mpls)
June 13, 2004 CLAR13

Jimmy Robinson and his beloved wife, Clara, will be together again.

Forever.

Clara Robinson, 97, died June 9 in Peoria, Ariz., after a brief illness. Jimmy Robinson -- legendary Minnesota duck hunter, trap and skeet shooter, author and outdoor writer -- died at 88 in 1986. He and Clara ran a famed duck camp on Manitoba's Delta Marsh for decades, and their friends included the likes of Ernest Hemingway, Clark Gable, Annie Oakley and the Hilton family.

Clara will be interred next to Jimmy at Lakewood Cemetery in Minneapolis.

"Clara was always right by his side," said longtime friend Gordy Fawcett of Carlsbad, Calif. "Clara was a fixture at the Manitoba duck club. She took care of Jimmy and all the duck hunters. And taking care of Jimmy was no easy task. Someone once said Jimmy was like a bumblebee in a fruit jar."

Clara was the yin to Jimmy's yang.

"Jimmy probably wouldn't have survived the 88 years without Clara," Fawcett said. They were married for nearly 50 years.

Fawcett, 67, knew Jimmy and Clara most of his life, and frequently hunted the Manitoba camp with them.

"I remember the warmth and camaraderie and fun we had together," he said. The outdoors was as important to Clara as it was to Jimmy.

"She hunted ducks; she was a good shot," Fawcett said. "She had a lot of friends. But she outlived almost all of them."

Clara was born in Woodworth, N.D., and celebrated her 97th birthday in March. "She was sharp as a tack," Fawcett said. She contracted pneumonia a couple of weeks ago, he said, and died Wednesday.

"She had a good, long life," Fawcett said. "Her love and admiration for Jimmy was tremendous. We'll miss her a lot."

There are no close survivors.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Clara Robinson dies at age 97

Postby rushbay » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:23 pm

I lived 3 miles from the Sports Afield Lodge, and hunted with Jimmy and others who visited there before they moved to the east marsh at St. Ambroise.
Jimmy and Chuck Murphy gave me my first shotgun, a 20 guage model 12 Winchester supplied by Spencer Olin who was head of Winchester at the time.
I have many fond memories of "The Lodge" and it's many famous guests including Robert Taylor, Fred Miller, and Clark Gable who was a bit before my time.
If there is anyone out there who remembers this great hunting venue, I would like to hear from you, and if anyone can remember Clara's maiden name please let me know.
Brian McCowan
Delta Marsh Manitoba
rushbay
Newb

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:25 pm

holy hell, new guy dug this one out of a deep grave!
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby rushbay » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:32 pm

I stumbled on this site during a search for info on several of Jimmy's books I have, and as a hunter since age 7 living on the edge of the Delta Marsh, I became interested in the format.
rushbay
Newb

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:21 pm

PM sent
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole