Word of the Day, May 20, 2014, I Samuel 12:20-23

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, May 20, 2014, I Samuel 12:20-23

Postby timf » Tue May 20, 2014 6:03 am

Word of the Day, May 20, 2014

" You say, Come to the river. Oh and Lay yourself down and let your heart be found. You say come to the river. Drink from the cup I pour and thirst no more ”

1 Samuel 12:20-23

20 And Samuel said unto the people, Fear not: ye have done all this wickedness: yet turn not aside from following the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart;

21 And turn ye not aside: for then should ye go after vain things, which cannot profit nor deliver; for they are vain.

22 For the LORD will not forsake his people for his great name's sake: because it hath pleased the LORD to make you his people.

23 Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way:

Samuel was saddened by the Israelites choice against God for a king to rule them. They where not willing to listen to Samuel and God. This chapter was Samuel’s farewell address to his people. His message turned into a warning saying that obedience brings God’s blessings but disobedience brings God’s reproof.

Samuel is giving Godly wisdom to the people. They made mistakes, yet turn not away from God but to do the opposite and serve Him with all your heart. I experience this in my life. Never turn away from God, give him your sins and serve Him with all of your heart.

We need to be steadfast and do not go after vain things that are worthless. Sin is unprofitable , a waste of time, a waste of our money, destroys and causes us a lost of our souls. Samuel told the people that God granted the peoples request for a king but reminded them that God was their first and only true King.

Because God chose the people of Israel, He would never abandon them, but because there were His special nation, He would often punish them for their disobedience in order to bring them back to a right relationship with Him. Does that sound like His relationship with us? Keeping His promise to us, but yet correcting us like a loving father for our disobedience.

Samuel, no matter what has happened still loved the people of Israel by continuing his prayer and to love them enough to still show them right from wrong. This is a lesson for us today. Just because we disagree with someone’s decision to go against God’s will, we are to love them by praying without ceasing and to love them enough to show them right from wrong and to teach them the righteousness of God. It is our divine duty to speak the truth in love, just as Samuel did to God’s nation.

Samuel says to “ consider how great things He hath done for you.” This is the second time in this chapter that Samuel reminds them to take time to consider what great things God has done for them. We need to reflect upon God’s goodness. Sometimes we are so looking to the future that we fail to take time to recall all that God has done for us. By taking this time to look back, this will cause us to move forward with gratitude. Give Him the praise for yesterday, today and tomorrow.

“ Redeemer, My Healer, Lord Almighty. My Savior, Defender, You are my King. Jesus, the name of Jesus. You are high and lifted up. And all the world will praise Your great name.”

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality