smoked duck breast

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

smoked duck breast

Postby duckin-A » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:09 pm

MY favorite way to cook duck breast is to smoke them. however you can smoke them is fine. cook 'em rare to medium rare, serve either hot or cold. slice thin on a diagonal cut, also allows to look for shot.
serve with your favorite crackers and fine wine or favorite beverage. :thumbsup:
duckin-A
hunter

Postby thaner » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:53 pm

Yes very good :thumbsup: . I like my meat a little more done so I keep the vent closed and put in some water in the smoker. I also do a bacon drip by layering the rack above with bacon. That keeps them nice and moist while I get them a little more of a medium and cooked to a safe food temp, which is more important if you have shot and feathers inside the meat, which could have carried in bacterial.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby MB » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:31 pm

I smoke a lot of the pheasant I get and like the outcome.
Does anyone know if smoking sea duck will get rid of the shellfish taste?
I am getting ready to fire up the smoker and wondering whether to even try with the sea ducks I have.
MB
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:59 pm

If you are going to smoke sea ducks you should soak them in milk overnight, wash them off, then brine them for another night. Your brine should be whatever you'd use to brine your pheasants. I use something like this:

4 cups water
3/4 cup pickling salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 crushed garlic cloves
sprig of fresh rosemary, whacked with the flat of a knife
a clove or two

Once brined overnight, take it out then let it dry on a rack. i use a fan to blow air over the breasts. This forms a pellicle, basically a coating to keep in moisture.

Then, smoke away! I like fruitwoods, but any hardwood would be good. Lemme know how it goes,

d.j.
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby MB » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:38 am

I have started to do my Brine with tomato juice , use half the salt you would use with water (learned that the hard way), and garlic powder.
Its great on ribs etc, but I have yet to do it on fowl.
Thanks for the milk tip, my dad does it with inland birds and it seems to help with all weird tastes so I am trying that.
good idea about the dryin tip, pre-smoke.
Makes a lot of sense.
I got enough to try a little of everything!
MB
hunter

Postby rockbass » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:38 am

Sounds crazy, but try Sprite soda. You wont believe how it draws the crap from duck breasts.
My grand mother used to soak them in butter milk overnight as well.
rockbass
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:46 pm

Sprite? Tomato juice? Fascinating!

I personally don't like the taste of tomato with waterfowl, but go for it! I might do that with pheasants next time I make cacciatore.

Sprite? Will definitely sweeten the meat, and the lemon-lime flavor could be helpful, too. Do you add salt?

As for buttermilk, I do not recommend it for overnight soaking: There is an enzyme in buttermilk that tenderizes meat, but leave it in too long and you will eat meaty mush. Yech. Limit a buttermilk soak to 4-6 hours, IMHO.
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby jehler » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:27 pm

I have done cherry juice, maple syrup & salt brines before that were very good, have used cranberry juice also. usally smoke with cherry wood or apple.
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking