Question for you youngsters...

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

Re: Question for you youngsters...

Postby Young_Duck » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:40 pm

My first shotgun was a New England Firearms 20 gauge single shot. I was about the same weight as your son and it was a little long for me so my father sawed down the stock and put a really soft recoil pad on it. Still have it. Might be for sale if you're interested.
Young_Duck
Newb

Postby thomashamm2 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:39 am

I started off with borrowing a old Benelli m1 12 gauge. It was made in the nineties i think or early 00's. I started with 3 inch loads, which i admit were a little heavy. It was a semi auto so it didnt kick very bad. It had the barrel cut down to i think 21 inches and the stock was also cut down a little shorter.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby Boykinboy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:54 am

Go with the 870, its the old standby gun. Just about everyone I know has an 870 they started out with or still hunts one. Thats saying something right there. You can use them as a boat paddle abd they still shoot fine. 800$ is alot to entrust into a 11 year olds hands, especially in a wobbly boat! Maybe get a smaller barrel so its that much easier
Boykinboy
hunter

Postby CWA » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:17 am

Started my son off with a H&R Pardner youth 20 gauge. It is as heavy as my Remington 870. It doesn't kick very much at all. He is 13 now and loves it. In fact, I really like to shoot it myself.

Tim Sallee
Founder/Christian Waterfowlers Association www.thecwa.org
Tim Sallee
Founder Christian Waterfowlers Association 501(C)(3)
http://www.thecwa.org
CWA
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:42 pm

I started with a moss berg 20 ga bantam, and i've sold a lot of them to customers for these reasons. First they narrow down the grip on the stock for small hands second, they come with three chokes not one like the rem also they have a blued finish which holds up better. third the forearm is moved rearward so short arms can control the gun better. and third and a good reason is the top tang safety its big and solid the lil guy or girl can see it. you can see it and its not easily "bumped off. as far as recoil 2 3/4 20 ga loads with 3/4 0z payloads are light enough for any kid to handle. most recoil problems are do to a poor fitted gun then too a over powering load.
olt d2
hunter

Previous

Return to Youth