The ONLY way to cook coots and mergansers

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Postby duckhnter4life » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:08 pm

I now go to texas tech and I feel the equivilant of being in misouri becuase I havent had good food over here yet! I am stocking up all the geese and ducks I get out here in the panhandle so they can be put in one huge gumbo for the christmas party.

I actually have never had gumbo with red pepper so I dont know how that would taste but it first thought I sort of kringe. I hope you are able to get some actual cajun food up there but while you are up there enjoy all the geese and ducks that we are anxious to get.
Justin

1-specklebelly
1-mallard
1-blue wing teal
1-grey duck
3-wood ducks
(only been out twice)
duckhnter4life
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:36 am

When I went to Texas A&M there wasn't much in the way of cajun food either. There was one place that advertised cajun, and served a seafood gumbo that was more like a bad seafood soup.

The real stinker is I live in the south central part of the missouri, i.e. the Ozarks. They're real pretty, but you don't get as many ducks and geese, mostly wood ducks if anything, and our season in the south zone doesn't start until Nov. 27. So I've been predominately deer hunting to say the least.

Oh well, if you get your grandmother's recipe, please share it, I'd love to try it.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby duckhnter4life » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:55 am

no problamo hoss, but shes pretty gung ho about her recipeies if you know what I mean.

I am really struggling not to trash talk a&m!!

I bet you get alot of fly fishing up there?

I am not a real big deer hunter basically becuase I never had.
Justin

1-specklebelly
1-mallard
1-blue wing teal
1-grey duck
3-wood ducks
(only been out twice)
duckhnter4life
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:08 am

I am really struggling not to trash talk a&m!!

I had the same problem, but decided that in the world of hunting there is no Football Rivalry.

:rofl: :rofl:

I have two trout streams within an hour of where I live, one of which is about 30 minutes away. I have access to bass / crappie in a lot of small ponds and rivers that are nearby.

Deer and Turkey are everywhere, not as prolific as the hill country, but they're everywhere.

I didn't use to deer hunt either, but I had a friend from Brownwood take me out to his place. Deer hunting there and the hill country is pretty awesome just b/c you see stuff all the time. Corn feeder goes off, here come the deer.

In NE Texas, it was a little different, some days there were deer, other days there were none.

I don't know how prolific they are in Lubbock, but if you have some college friends that can take you to the hill country deer hunting, go, and then you'll be hooked.

You just have to think of days you don't see any deer like the bad days of duck/goose hunting, its a lot better than going to school or work.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby duckhnter4life » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:06 pm

Yeah im not gung ho about tech I actualy love LSU but I really want to go and do some turkey hunting. I just dont have the set or anyhting for deer. I love trout and largemouth bass.
Justin

1-specklebelly
1-mallard
1-blue wing teal
1-grey duck
3-wood ducks
(only been out twice)
duckhnter4life
hunter

Re:

Postby rivergunner » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:00 am

loon wrote:I have eaten hooded mergs, scoters, oldsquaw and goldeneyes none tasted like fish all were GOOD! The key is to soak the breast meat in salt water for an hour then buttermilk and your favorite spice overnight I use garlic. You can then wrap them with bacon with a waterchestnut or a bannana pepper or a peppercini in the middle put several rollups on two water soaked bamboo skewers put on a little soy or terriyaki and grill(2 skewers makes them easy to turn several at once) do not over cook as soon as the bacon is done they are done. YOU WILL LOVE THEM but whatever way you cook them they should be medium not well done or theywill taste like crap. Medium tastes like steak well done tastes like liver if you don't believe me cook 2 pieces from the same duck one well one medium rare it makes a huge difference!

Tried this recipe last night on some hoodies I got over the weekend. Did the presoak as directed and waited 'til the bacon was getting crispy on the edges. Delicious...my wife loved it too. Can't wait to feed it to my hunting buddies and watch there tune change on the "rotten fish eaters" :thumbsup:
rivergunner
Newb

Re: The ONLY way to cook coots and mergansers

Postby Dr Swane » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:04 pm

Coot Tacos are ok. The seasoning masks the "bad beef" taste. There's recipies out there if you google coot taco. Not my favorite. But we can kill 10 coots a day if we wanted. So we never actually have to go home empty handed.
Dr Swane
hunter

Postby billybob123 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:54 pm

There is an awesome looking recipe on Youtube if you look for Coot Stew. I am going to shoot a few this fall and give it a shot. Where I hunt there are more coot than you can shake a stick at. And yes, being from Looziana the correct name is Pool do, for those of you who don't talk no Cajun.
billybob123
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:52 am

Try mixing the birds you believe have a stronger taste( divers, coots etc.) with some meat that is milder. Or if the have a liver-ish taste put them in a preparation that may have liver as a supporting flavor( example: boudin).
tako1972
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:56 am

Try mixing the birds you believe have a stronger taste( divers, coots etc.) with some meat that is milder. Or if the have a liver-ish taste put them in a preparation that may have liver as a supporting flavor( example: boudin).
tako1972
hunter

Postby quackattack77 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:58 pm

I collect all my duck meat from mallards to mergansers and turn it to jerky, all tastes the same and a good way to not waste meat

vegetarian- noun - Native America word for 'bad hunter'
quackattack77
hunter

Previous

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking