Duck Hunting Forum banner

Rocky Mountian Arsenal NWR

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  duckman27 
#1 ·
I was in Colorado last week visiting family and attending an orientation at CSU with my daughter(Go Rams!!). While there I visited the Arsenal with my son. I hadn't been out there in many years. I was there in the early 90's when the main attraction was the winter roost of bald eagles. It has changed quite a bit in the 20 or so years. I thought it was very well put together although I didn't see the point of the paved roads. So here's my question? I asked this of the refuge worker sitting at the information desk in the visitor center. Is there a hunt program on the refuge? He looked at me like I was crazy. Needless to say there is no hunting on the refuge. At first he said "no it's a refuge". I told him I hunt on many state and federal refuges in California. Then he said they are too close to an urban area. I gave up but thought about all the hunts I've had on Yolo within sight of downtown Sacramento. It seems like you guys have missed the boat in not insisting they have some kind of hunt program out there. Even the fishing is catch and release on the refuge. Looks like the tree huggers won one out there. That NWR is 15,00 acres. I find it hard to believe they couldn't find a way to make a hunt program happen. There are deer, waterfowl, and upland opportunities that Denver area hunters are being denied. Anyone have any history or information as to why this hasn't happened. Just seems a bit odd to me.

#2 ·
Colorado is its own sort of backwards. ALOT has changed here in the last 20yrs. Boulder County has tens of thousands of acres of "Open Space" that you aren't even allowed to be on. Paid for by the taxpayers but you'll get a ticket if they catch you out there :fingerhead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.