Wader Help

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Wader Help

Postby ChattanoogaDuckHunter » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:21 pm

I need a new pair of waders and need some help. I'm looking for 5mm,1600 gram, and hopefully velcro straps for easy adjustment. If anyone has recommendations it would be a huge help. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChattanoogaDuckHunter
hunter

Re: Wader Help

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Stay away from Mack's grands. They fit perfect but I could only hunt 2 weeks per set before the boot would split. Went through three pairs this season.

Most have good luck with cabelas super mags. I usually burn through a pair a year of those.

Heard some decent thing about Rogers tough mans but I haven't personally seen them.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby ChattanoogaDuckHunter » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:11 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:Stay away from Mack's grands. They fit perfect but I could only hunt 2 weeks per set before the boot would split. Went through three pairs this season.

Most have good luck with cabelas super mags. I usually burn through a pair a year of those.

Heard some decent thing about Rogers tough mans but I haven't personally seen them.

From what I have heard from a lot of people I will probably get cabelas.

ChattanoogaDuckHunter
hunter

Postby CrazyDrake » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:37 am

I am currently sending a pair of Lacrosse Swamp Tuff's back. They are 1000 mg and my feet have never been cold.

(Until the leak started)

Once Lacrosse stops sending me a new pair, the next pair i will own will be Cabelas.
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:48 am

[quote="Nelliboy2"]
Most have good luck with cabelas super mags. I usually burn through a pair a year of those..[/. quote]
Bullsh!t

"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:32 pm

sprigs4days wrote:
Nelliboy2 wrote:Most have good luck with cabelas super mags. I usually burn through a pair a year of those..[/. quote]
Bullsh!t

What that they have good luck or that I toast a pair a year?

If its about toasting a pair a year, I have a problem with their ankles on the front side slipping out creating leaks.

They are pretty good about taking them back, which is nice because I have a new pair every year.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:47 pm

Yeah if anyone knows a secret about what are the best waders we are all waiting to hear. I'm going to try Cabelas again. My last Hodgemans lasted about five years, heavy and made for a fat dude though. Bought my son some Mack's and they leaked after two day's. I've thought about the custom waders Andy and Tealer bought (is it USA or something?) but I need two pairs, one real heavily insulated for standing long time in waist deep water, and one real tough, but lighter pair. I froze my azz off last year body booting in my Simms fly fishing waders!!!!!!
blackrock
hunter

Postby eagles2069 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:45 pm

I have four years on my cabelas super mag waders. If you wait for them on sale you can normally pick them up for under 200 bucks. I use them for walk in hunts, boat hunt and field hunts. I don't feel like I have ever had to baby them one bit. If these ones go down I will just get another pair of cabelas.
eagles2069
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:09 pm

blackrock wrote:Yeah if anyone knows a secret about what are the best waders we are all waiting to hear. I'm going to try Cabelas again. My last Hodgemans lasted about five years, heavy and made for a fat dude though. Bought my son some Mack's and they leaked after two day's. I've thought about the custom waders Andy and Tealer bought (is it USA or something?) but I need two pairs, one real heavily insulated for standing long time in waist deep water, and one real tough, but lighter pair. I froze my azz off last year body booting in my Simms fly fishing waders!!!!!!

Tough as in walking through brush or what?

Cabelas has armour flex on most. It seems pretty good to me, I went (still going) with a pair of the original cabelas super mags (they have a thick boot like the hodgmens had and they have been going for 10-12 season.

The new pairs have gone thinner and they are wearing and cracking in the thin spots. But they are warm and they back them.

My dad loves his dry plus waders by cabelas. They are breathable so they are super light. 600 gram boots. I bought the warrior 2 which are a hybrid. They have 1000 gram boot with neoprene up to the knee on the front and above you butt on the back side. I don't get nearly a chilled in those as the dry plus (I only use them for the first few weeks or if I walk in places my dad can't take the cold anymore so he hunts teal season and whenever it's warm). But they do have double duty for frog hunts.
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Boatman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:33 pm

I have cabelas ultimate waders 3years now and going strong.Armor flex foot to chest. Have been in the briars with them.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:51 pm

I would take a serious look at these especially with free shipping.

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/duck ... wader.html

I bought a pair of these toward the end of season but have not gotten the chance to put them to the test yet but these are some really nice waders.

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/appa ... g-man.html
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Also i would avoid velcro only straps. I hated mine. Stick with buckles.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:53 pm

I'd try those rogers again. I ordered their originals and for whatever reason the stouts we cut bad. The sides of then went down to just above my waist. Their new design looks much better, might be worth a look.

Anybody try frog toggs or columbias?

Reason I ask is I have only seen them and macks brands with bottom land.
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:43 pm

I've had the Rodgers on and they swallow me. I have to take the shoulder straps all the way up and I am a big boy. :yes:
DuckinFool
hunter

Wader Help

Postby teaves2257 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:50 am

You hate Velcro? First I've heard of someone that preferred buckles over Velcro.

Buckles break and also get in the way of shooting.

teaves2257
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:38 am

I don't understand how so many people tear up waders so quickly. Mine last an average of seven years until I can't patch em up anymore. I hunt a lot. 50 days per season or more.
COULD¨ demand a free pair from Cabelas but I figure seven years is the lifetime on a pair of waders (for me).
Started buying neoprene waders in the mid-90's and I'm on my second pair of 5mm from Cabelas and the second pair still looks new.

On the buckles thing. You know...you can unbuckle both sides, roll em down a bit, and use the straps like a wader belt. I figured everyone did that? :thumbsup:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby KRiverWoodies » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:44 pm

ive owned the cheap game winners from academy for 3 years and tho they aren't the most comfortable they are holding up. wear them almost every hunt and mostly in timber. I bought some frog tog hip waders at the end of last season im gonna give them a try for the flooded fields.
KRiverWoodies
hunter

Postby On the X » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:53 pm

this will be my 10th season for my Cabelas Ultimate Waders. Had to caulk the right boot last year because of dryrot where the boot flexes but the caulk I use is cheaper than a new pair. The caulk is still holding by the way as I use rubber roof membrane grade caulk.
On the X
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:42 am

I literally can't get through a 60 day season before my boots a split in multiple places.
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby MIDTENNHTR » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:30 am

My Columbia Gadwalls made it 1 and 3months year before the insides tore right out on me while I was pulling them off. Called Columbia and they basically laughed at me. Wish they stood behind their waders as much as they do their outerwear. Don't recommend the Columbia's to anybody.

I'm probably going to try the Super mags or Northern flight 1 straps this year for the simple fact that Cabela's won't tell you to F-off if something goes wrong with them a year in.
MIDTENNHTR
hunter

Postby lblanke3 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:43 pm

I bought a pair of hodgman duramag 1200s last year and they are very comfortable and tough I snagged part of the nepotism on part of a truck bed and thought surely they had a hole on them but to my surprise they were fine.the fleece lining is nice too and with the 1200 g of thinsulate in the boots I have yet to get cold the only thing I wish I could change about them is the tread on the bottom of the boot. I wish it was a little more aggressive but I yet to have had a problem with them and they are 5mm neoprene. If your keep your eye out you should be able to find a pair for about 130 bucks new
lblanke3
Newb

Postby Outdoorguy26 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:57 pm

I use cabelas super mags.. Going on the 4th season with my first pair.. I love em.. Not to bad for early season and can't be beat in the dead cold of winter
Outdoorguy26
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum