Toyota Tacoma or Chevy Z71??

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

Postby gsphunter » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:36 am

Dmax's are awesome! My dad has one in a 2500 hd crew cab with the allison transmission. It's got just about 100,000 miles on it, no problems so far, but then again there shouldn't be. I want it so bad. :mrgreen:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby HonkShooter » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:55 pm

My dad bought a 2500 HD cheyenne back in 98 and has put 240,000 on it. Mostly highway miles. Think the biggest replacement has been a new water pump. Just bought a new 2500HD Sierra. Boy does that thing have some balls. Neither of them were 4x4 but they both site really high. The new one sits just as high as a ford superduty 4x4 if not a little higher. It's amazing. All of out vehicles are Chevy or GMC.

Joe
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:11 pm

i haven't ever had any problems with any of the chevys off-roading i have owned. i hunt the river bottoms and swamps of SC and it gets through just about anything any other vehicle can go through. the only disadvantage i think the chevys have is the weight. but most full size trucks have that same issue. you really have to go to a light duty truck or jeep to make a significant enough difference. of course, all of my off-roading is hunting related so you could be referring to rock climbing or something else. imo, most times the vehicle isn't the limiting factor as much as the driver's know-how. anyway, i'd be interested to get more info from you on it.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:11 am

Shrp-

Chevys have IFS in the front. They do not flex as well as SFA. Chevys can BARELY tuck 285s, most rub with this tire under them. Dodge's and fords tuck larger tires and have a solid front axle in the front giving them more flex, keeping more weight evenly distributed onto the tires. Taller tires = more ground clearance. This combined with the added flex to the suspension gives you better offroad capability. Yes stupid drivers get stuck more often, but with equal drivers, the truck with the bigger tires, most clearance and flex will do better offroad. There really isn't a question there. I don't think the weight is ever really concidered when comparing full size trucks to other full size trucks. My truck weighs 7600 lbs.

This isn't meant to bash chevys. My next truck will probably be a chevy, right now I have a dodge obviously, I was just stating I would miss the offroad performance. Chevys ride nice and make a nicer family rig IMHO.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:40 pm

That is a no brainer. Just look at any consumer ratings and they will all point to Toyota or Nissan. I wish it were different, but the Japanese products are superior.

Now before anyone gets on the buy American kick, most of the Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans are manufactured here with a majority of parts being produced here. It is all about the engineering and quality standards.

I have probably owned my last “American” vehicle for two reasons. (1) It is simply the value and (2) the last time I checked, all the Unions support the left wing candidates.

Recently, I purchased a new 04 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, 4x4, loaded. I was leaning toward the Tacoma, but with rebates, dealer incentives, etc, the Nissan was only $20,300. Two year old Tacomas were going for this amount and the new Tacoma was several thousand more, so I couldn’t justify it. So far so good, I am very happy with it.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:03 am

My YOTA will be paid off next Feb. and thats what I like :laughing: PAID OFF thats all I see now :toofunny:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Franchi » Thu May 19, 2005 9:43 am

You have to be joking right :toofunny:

Chevy is much more of a truck than the Toyota. If I had to hunt out of a Toyota, I rather hunt out of the Camery than the Tundra. :getdown:
Get Down ! Get Down ! Here they come.
Franchi
Account Suspended for brand name useage

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun May 22, 2005 2:09 am

98ramtough wrote:Go with the chevy. Same mileage, more power, more space.

Mike

Im w/98.

And I am a firm beliver in the saying:
"I Spend it where I Make It!"

Best of luck,
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon May 23, 2005 12:11 am

98ramtough wrote: .....My next truck will probably be a chevy, right now I have a dodge obviously.....

Hey 98, you might have to change yer name to "05-setteled-for-a-duramax" :toofunny:

Just playin around. :salude:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:53 pm

The only thing a Z-71 package is, is off road skid plates. That's it. No special suspenion, no added power, just skid plates and 2 stickers. I've got one. Compared it to a friends 4x4. Mine has skid plates, his doesn't. That's the only diff.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:02 pm

I'd go with a tacoma or a tundra.

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:33 am

I love my Toyota ext. cab 4x4 :smile:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:41 am

quackkiller wrote:The only thing a Z-71 package is, is off road skid plates. That's it. No special suspenion, no added power, just skid plates and 2 stickers. I've got one. Compared it to a friends 4x4. Mine has skid plates, his doesn't. That's the only diff.

actually quack, there is a little more to that package than that. the z71 package includes the skid plates, bilstein gas-charged shocks, offroad jounce bumpers, rigid stabilizer bars, and an upgraded air cleaner.

there are some optional components to it as well that you can get on other models for an additional charge. (pwr dl/windows, upg stereo, leather, etc.)
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:24 am

Oh, I was always told it was just the skid plates. I hate my shocks. They are pretty stiff and every little bump is pretty rough. It's nothing like my dad's yukon. Now that thing has a soft suspension and makes for a real nice ride.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby cooter » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:11 am

CALLEMQUACKTN wrote:I love my Toyota ext. cab 4x4 :smile:

You and me both ! ! ! ! I have a 2000 V-6, and you couldn't give me any of the big trucks. You buy ya a Tacoma and you won't need all the big Mud'n Tires. All the deep ruts you see in the mud holes. They are from the big truck that weight to much, and just haft to dig through it.

I have pulled ALL the big truck out of mud holes at this one place we launch. I'll pull in from hunting and someone will be stuck in the middle of the ramp.
Hey Buddy, Can you pull me out of here? ? ?
Yep let me unhook my trailer.
Oh, never mind, I thought you had a real truck ! ! !
Well, let's try it, becuase you got the rest of us blocked from loading our boat with that real truck you got. :cool:

Have never had one we didn't get out, with my Tacoma, and those guys are beside themselve. 150's, 250's, 350's of every make. The Tacoma has got them ALL out. It's limit is towing power. Duck Boat, Fishing Boats no problem. Big Bass Boats, and Camping Trailers is to much.

When my buddies and I are going scouting, you know who's truck THEY want to take. Yep, they know it has gotten in and out of places that they only dream of. I still run the standard tires that came on it, and have never been stuck, even pulling the other truck out, and that number is MANY. :thumbsup: Just the facts, maam, Just the facts. cooter
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:48 am

cooter,

a lot of it has to do with the driver as well. most people think the horses under the hood are what gets you out of the mud and that's just not the case. you put any truck on the frame and it's stuck, no matter who made it. not taking anything away from the toyotas because they are good trucks, but you can stick one of those just as easily. as far as pulling people out, i love it too. it gives me a stupid sense of pride and all that just tickles me. just so you know, i have pulled more than one toyota out of our swamp with my z71! :smile:
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:17 pm

I hat toyotas those things are tiny! IMO i would get a ford. (best there is), but out of the 2 choices, chevy.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Grant48 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:18 am

I have a '99 Chevy Z71 extended cab. I bought it brand new in March '99, and currently have 99,500 miles on it. I've had a few problems with frontend parts wearing out quickly, but thats the fault of my suspension lift and big tires... but that comes with the territory, its definitely not Chevy's fault. I love my truck, and my next truck will likely be a Chevy too. :mrgreen:

However, Toyota makes some high quality products. My dad is big Toyota fan, having owned a Camry and Avalon in the past, and currently has a 4Runner. They've all been great, reliable vehicle.

I personally wouldnt own a Toyota pickup because I prefer Chevy trucks, but would seriously consider a Toyota if I was looking for a car or SUV.
Grant48
hunter

Postby chevyZ71 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:28 pm

i choose the Z71. the name says it all(my username). they're very dependable and long lasting.
chevyZ71
hunter

Postby locked and committed » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:26 pm

I got A toyota T100 and love it. Im not going to lie and say its never been stuck, becuase after a while every truck gets stuck. It dont matter who you are or how big your truck is, or how much horsepower you got. All that matters is that you know your trucks capabilities. I have pulled full size trucks out. You name it, I have hooked up to them. They have pulled me out to. Any stock truck will go where you want it, as long as it isnt through the biggest mud hole you can find. In this case both are great trucks. I would take either, but since I drive a Toyota I am going to have to say get a toyota. However which ever you choose, you will not be dissapointed.
Michael Davis
~The Waterfowl Wingmasters Pro Staff~
locked and committed
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:15 pm

I have had an f150, toyota tacoma and a chevy subruban (I know its not a Z71)

Tacoma - Bullitt Proff. I tore the hell out of mine. A tree finally took it out. It had about 150000 miles on it in 4 years. My friend has a 4 runner and he doesn't believe in maintenance and he has out in 230000 miles on his in I think 5 years. (We drive a whole lot) If you want to pull more than say 4000 pounds in a hilly environment I probably wouldnt buy one. 17 mpg on bfgood tko's Not much interior room!!! Heaters great and so is ac

F150 Great truck lots of low end torque. 5.4 4x4 extra cab gets about 13 average. Good payload and good pulling power. I took it thru alot of stuff to. I put 37000 miles on it in a year. Lots of room inside. Heaters great and so is ac.

Suburban I had the 5.7 and the 5.3. STAY AWAY FROM THE 5.3. No low end torque. 5.7 is great. Heater takes for ever to warmup. Had to rely on heated seats for the first 30 mins. I really didnt take if off road to much but it did pretty good. It also pulls nice.

I have a ford ranger and its forsale!!! Anyone interested???

THis is only my 2 cents. I do favor certain brands HOW EVER I choose my vehicle by what I am going to do with it. Pulling power (speaking about the 1/2 ton) Buy a ford. Cruising the city buy a chevy. For fun driving and offroading buy a toyota. As far as my next truck who knows. I want a power stroke. But I will probably buy a chevy because of the gas mileage. We will see when I finally decide. Thanks for reading.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby Penguine » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:20 am

Dad worked for, and retired from, Chrysler Corp. Brother-In-Law currently works for Ford. Ex-Brother-In-Law worked for Chevy. Up until about 3 years ago I got great deals from each of the Big 3. Now I will only ever buy a Chrysler or Ford product. Gotta keep the money in the family so to speak. If I were to buy a truck today it would be a Dakota 4x4. I like small trucks.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Grant48 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:23 am

kcduckslayer wrote:F150 Great truck lots of low end torque. 5.4 4x4 extra cab gets about 13 average. Good payload and good pulling power. I took it thru alot of stuff to. I put 37000 miles on it in a year. Lots of room inside. Heaters great and so is ac.

Agreed. As a Chevy guy, it pains me to admit this, but Ford did make an excellent truck in the '97-'03 F-150's. My little brother had a '99 F-150 extended cab 4x4 with the 5.4 V8, and it was a great truck. It pulled my dad's 18' Nitro bass boat like it wasnt even there. The only downside to it was that it seemed more thirsty than my Chevy.
Grant48
hunter

Postby TXwaterfowler » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:54 am

ITS ALL ABOUT THE CHEVROLET!!!! :yes:

I DRIVE A 95 CHEVY WHEN IT DUCK SEASON. ITS Z71 350 NO PROBLEM WITH POWER OR GETTING STUCK CHEVY SITS HIGHER OFF THE GROUND AND THEY MAKE YOU LOOK GOOD. I DRIVE A 04 CHEVY TO WORK AND BACK ITS ALSO Z71 AND IT DOES WONDERFUL ON GAS FOR A TRUCK OF ITS SIZE. LIKE THEY SAY SERIOUS BOYS DRIVE SERIOUS TOYS :yes: :getdown:
TXwaterfowler
hunter

Postby bowhuntr4ever » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:50 am

buy the chevy because most smart people would
bowhuntr4ever
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Vehicle forum