Excel shallow water series

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Excel shallow water series

Postby WIgunner30 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:23 pm

Anyone have one or personally have experience with one? Stumbled across a 2011 model clearance new at a dealership. Pros and cons?
WIgunner30
hunter

Re: Excel shallow water series

Postby blackrock » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:52 pm

I don't have one but came within an inch of buying a 2013 last year. As I see it: Pros, nice package with camo, lights, electrical, storage, hunt deck etc. Cons: heavy (compared to some competitive and custom hulls), expensive, relatively thin floor with orientation of bracing that allows denting and damage in true shallow water application with obstacles. I decided to go a different direction (jet boat), largely because of a reputation for poor customer service (Excel and Mudbuddy) and the fact that I would have needed a modded MB Sport 45 to get the load I carry up to any kind of reasonable speed. By the time I added it all up I was up to 22k. I'm still interested in a mud boat someday but will either go with a Phowler/Prodrive combo, GTR boat motor combo or a custom hull like Uncle J or one of the other southern fabricators. With all that being said, there are a few guys that love theirs. I would seriously insist on a test drive with a hunting style load before I pulled the trigger on one, or any shallow water boat. God luck with your search!
blackrock
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:15 am

blackrock wrote:I don't have one but came within an inch of buying a 2013 last year. As I see it: Pros, nice package with camo, lights, electrical, storage, hunt deck etc. Cons: heavy (compared to some competitive and custom hulls), expensive, relatively thin floor with orientation of bracing that allows denting and damage in true shallow water application with obstacles. I decided to go a different direction (jet boat), largely because of a reputation for poor customer service (Excel and Mudbuddy) and the fact that I would have needed a modded MB Sport 45 to get the load I carry up to any kind of reasonable speed. By the time I added it all up I was up to 22k. I'm still interested in a mud boat someday but will either go with a Phowler/Prodrive combo, GTR boat motor combo or a custom hull like Uncle J or one of the other southern fabricators. With all that being said, there are a few guys that love theirs. I would seriously insist on a test drive with a hunting style load before I pulled the trigger on one, or any shallow water boat. God luck with your search!

My buddy has a phowler extreme and 36hp pro drive. Amazing set up. If you ever got one you'd love it! Currently I've been going back and forth on that exact set up used from a guy. He's asking a little to much than I feel it's worth but getting closer on agreeing on a price. Plan b is the excel its a 2011 new yet and 4500 for just the hull. Dealer wants it gone since its been there for three yrs. It's just a shallow water f series not a f4 with back deck. I usually just hunt areas that as shallow marshes with muck bottoms. Shouldn't have to big of issues with hitting stuff besides jumping a floating bog.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby mdycrk » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:49 am

WIgunner30 wrote:
blackrock wrote:I don't have one but came within an inch of buying a 2013 last year. As I see it: Pros, nice package with camo, lights, electrical, storage, hunt deck etc. Cons: heavy (compared to some competitive and custom hulls), expensive, relatively thin floor with orientation of bracing that allows denting and damage in true shallow water application with obstacles. I decided to go a different direction (jet boat), largely because of a reputation for poor customer service (Excel and Mudbuddy) and the fact that I would have needed a modded MB Sport 45 to get the load I carry up to any kind of reasonable speed. By the time I added it all up I was up to 22k. I'm still interested in a mud boat someday but will either go with a Phowler/Prodrive combo, GTR boat motor combo or a custom hull like Uncle J or one of the other southern fabricators. With all that being said, there are a few guys that love theirs. I would seriously insist on a test drive with a hunting style load before I pulled the trigger on one, or any shallow water boat. God luck with your search!

My buddy has a phowler extreme and 36hp pro drive. Amazing set up. If you ever got one you'd love it! Currently I've been going back and forth on that exact set up used from a guy. He's asking a little to much than I feel it's worth but getting closer on agreeing on a price. Plan b is the excel its a 2011 new yet and 4500 for just the hull. Dealer wants it gone since its been there for three yrs. It's just a shallow water f series not a f4 with back deck. I usually just hunt areas that as shallow marshes with muck bottoms. Shouldn't have to big of issues with hitting stuff besides jumping a floating bog.

I absolutely love my Phowler/PD combo. It's hard to beat!
When I was searching last year I went rounds and rounds trying to figure out what I wanted. I studied the excel, war eagle, and everything under the sun, but I just couldn't get away from one of those once I looked at the Phowlers.
mdycrk
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds