skin sticking to breast meat!!

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

skin sticking to breast meat!!

Postby moseslake » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:11 pm

I bagged 4 ring neck and 1 canvasback last weekend. I started to breast out the ring necks but the skin was sticking to the breast meat so bad I ened up getting frustated with the process. The skin on the canvasback came off real easy like usual. What's the deal with the ringnecks skin sticking to the meat so bad? Is this common with ringnecks? Is there something I can do to pevent this? Any tips/tricks would be great. Thanks.
moseslake
hunter

Postby wmmt » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:13 am

Most small divers tend to stick, try skinning them right away when the bird is still warm. Be sure to leave the wing attached as it is federal law. You can also use a fish filet knife will take the skin right off. Good luck!
wmmt
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:40 pm

I Leave the skin on most all of my birds anyway, as I likethe skin to keep the flavor of the "Secret stuff" in the meat.. Also the skins not too bad eating eaither. Better than chicken anyday.
Ring necks is what made me start to do this. But nothing better than the skin left on some teal, mallards or woodys.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallard molester » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:29 am

a very sharp knife between the skin and the meet
I don't think there is any easy way around it
mallard molester
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking