which diver decoy would be better?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

which diver decoy would be better?

Postby roscoesbuddy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:06 am

hey guys i'm looking to add some divers to my collection of decoys this fall and i can't decide if i should get a dozen golden eyes or a dozen bluebills, or 6 of each. were i hunt we dont get a lot of bluebills(there is some) more golden eyes, bufflehead, ringnecks, and hoody's. i guess i'm asking from experience which kind of duck attracted more attention. also if you don't mind could you guys add some imput in on which brand has the best bluebills and golden eyes. the thing is i've only seen carry-lite have golden eye decoys. lastly is one line of 12 better then 2 lines of 6 with different types such as the bluebills and golden eyes. any other ideas on how i could set this up would be great.
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

anyone?

Postby roscoesbuddy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:19 pm

anyone out there got any ideas?
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:43 pm

I've got 12 bluebills, 12 ring necks, and 12 red heads. I don't hunt big open water and what I have is enough. I would guess that as long as they're dark dekes for divers they would all get the attention. It's too late for them ,once they're comitted at coming in, to realize it's not "one of their own". The size of your water would make a difference also.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby benelliduckman » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:52 pm

Go with what you see more.
benelliduckman
hunter

Postby texan68 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:45 am

:withstupid:
texan68
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:23 am

I am in PA as well where I am we dont see many bluebills either, but in my diver rig I use bluebills for my numbers, along with buffleheads. I have a good number of goldeneyes to but keep them away from your other speices they like to stay with there own......
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby firebird » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:58 pm

I specifically target goldeneyes as they decoy well and the drakes are magnificent heavy birds when in full plumage. A big spread works well but isn't necessary. I use carrylite decoys I've had for 10 years but am hoping Greenhead Gear will come out with some new models soon. I add some bufflehead dekes on the edges and redheads for color but mostly black and white are all we get.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby Layout » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:14 pm

We usually hunt with no less than 60 blocks. Sometimes 80 - 90, depending how the birds are acting and weather. All are on main lines and each main line has 10 blocks per line. I have herters and toledos(Tom schebolts) ?spelling. In our application the wider the decoy the better because they seem to ride better in rough water. Rarely is it calm where we hunt.

All of my decoys are painted flat white across the entire body with a dark black/charcoal head. We mainly hunt bluebills, cans, redheads and ringbills. But we have killed just about every duck in the spectrum over this type of set up. All of our hunting is done out of a one man layout boat in deep water in Lake Michigan and the other great lakes.

The white body w/ black head gives the decoys more flash/attractiveness when hunting huge expanses of open water based on my experiences in layout diver hunting. Hopes this helps ya out.
A ton of lead anchors

- Long live the retired "duck bus".
Layout
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:44 am

benelliduckman wrote:Go with what you see more.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby donell67 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:08 pm

i would say get a dozen goldeneyes. put them in one line. we do awesome with a line of a dozen. herters has goldeneyes. i have some carrylites there not the best, but you can order a dozen all drakes out of knutsons.for 62 bucks i think. i just had a couple goldeneyes made buy a decoy carver. they look awesome. there more spendy, but an awesome looking deke.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bluebilldays » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:06 pm

Just remember. Keep it simple. Bluebills are an all around deke for divers and you cannot go wrong. Remember also that goldeneyes are not that social most of the time, so a good tip is to set you eyes on free lines out side the spread(about five feet or so, no more). They will pour in. I feel the best blocks for diver hunting are herters, because of there foam construction. Divers fly real low and you run the risk of "sinking" the dekes you paid you hard earned money for.
bluebilldays
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:49 pm

i agree that foamers are great for divers, but you can just fill leaking plastic dekes with foam.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aaron » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:11 pm

Filling plastic ducks with foam has been a godsend for me,now as soon as I bring some home from the store I just go ahead and fill 'em. :thumbsup:
A dog views his master as a God, it is our job to not prove otherwise.
aaron
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:56 pm

bluebilldays wrote:Just remember. Keep it simple. Bluebills are an all around deke for divers and you cannot go wrong. Remember also that goldeneyes are not that social most of the time, so a good tip is to set you eyes on free lines out side the spread(about five feet or so, no more). They will pour in. I feel the best blocks for diver hunting are herters, because of there foam construction. Divers fly real low and you run the risk of "sinking" the dekes you paid you hard earned money for.
:withstupid: this is good advice
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Return to Diver Duck Hunting