Duck Hunting Forum banner

Best choke and shot size combo for geese with 20 gauge

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  skb20 
#1 ·
What's your guys opinion my wife will be hunting this year and is shootin a Remington 20 gauge. Never dealt with the 20 just lookin for another persons opinion. Thanks

#5 ·
Kent impact 1 1/8 #3 is what Pops bought for me when I first started waterfowl hunting. Killed my first 3 or 4 geese with it, then moved on to the 12. The 3's killed just as well as the steel #BB the rest of the guys were shooting. Modified choke.

#7 ·
I believe the best application for the expensive tungsten shot is for people who want to use a subgauge shotgun for big birds.
Try the high-density loads in as heavy a payload as you can find, shot through a fairly tight choke to keep the pattern density up. Shot size isn't that important with the HD stuff, but I'd stay small: 3's or 4's.
After that, it's up to the wife to put the pattern on them.

#8 ·
ohio mike said:
#4 Hevi Shot out of a mod. or imp/cyl. will probably kill as well as anything you use. Its kinda pricey but success really helps with a newbe. Second choice is 1 oz.of twos. Same chokes. Good luck. :thumbsup:
^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^

Over about a 7 year run I shot upwards of 500+ rounds of Hevi shot 1 1/4 oz 20 gauge load's of 4 shot for geese only. The stuff, if choked right (in her case probable IC or cylinder depending of the range of the geese) will wreck any goose out to 40 and tightened up well past 50 yards. Like Ohio said its pricy but its the best 20 gauge factory load out there for geese :thumbsup:

Yep Shaun I just recommended a Hevi shot load for someone...................oh crap am I prostaffer now for EMI :eek: :no: :eek: :no:

#9 ·
Been hunting large Canadas over decoys and low pass with 3" 20 ga. for over 20 years now. Past 5 or 6 years -- Fed Premium "ultra shok", 1 oz. #1's (~1350 fps). IC - LM tubes (even MOD often runs too tight under 40 yards, IMO). Previously, Fed, Win, or Rem, 1 oz steel 2's, also 1300-1350'ish fps. No "night and day" sort of difference, but the #1's do seem to exercise just a bit more "authority". Front-end hits, they are dead, out to 40 yards.

Good luck. Have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.