Wierd Turkey Gobble !!

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Wierd Turkey Gobble !!

Postby orangefoot » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:10 pm

I was deer huntin the other day and i heard a turkey gobble two short times in a row. This is not normal during the first of January. It was about 45 degrees. :huh:

Does anyone know why he might have did this?
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby Tom L » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:28 pm

I have heard them do short half gobbles in the winter while deer hunting in North Carolina. I dont know what makes them do that. Im pretty sure they are in bachelor groups in the winter, so it might be some sort of pecking order thing or them getting geared up for the spring.
Tom L
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:51 pm

Turkeys will gooble any time of the year. I`ve heard them gooble in ice and snow storms. Most likly it was a shock gobble though. The short gobbles are jakes. They are not mature enough to make a full gobble yet. Same as a young hen will kee kee instead of yelp. And then they will do a kee kee run when the start getting closer to maturity

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby orangefoot » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:07 pm

Thanks guys for the replies. Now that duck and turkey seasons are almost over its time to start lookin for turkeys. :yes: :yes:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:35 pm

As Stump said theyll gobble any time of year. I think they gobble to locate each other if the flocks been broken up. I was deer hunting this fall and on the way to my stand i busted a flock of jakes. Part of them went one way and the other half went another...Within about 25 minutes they were gobbling back and forth until they finally met up again.

I seen them again the next day. This time i had my turkey call. I yelped to them just like i would in the spring and they responded. They gobbled and strutted all the way in...Just like spring. When they got up there and didnt find any decoys they just strutted around. I gave a soft call they came even closer, fanned out and started fighting with each other. It was really fun to watch.

Now, if i could hunt this property for turkeys i would have never done this for risk of wising them up. Since i cant, i decided to have some fun with these youngsters. It was a blast. In recent years the population in this part of the state has declined due to hard winters and predation. Hopefully theyll plant some birds and the natural population rebounds so that we can have a huntable poplulation in this area again...So for now im stickin to southern Michigan...No population problems there what so ever. :thumbsup:

Oh yea... reminder for you Michigan boys, dont forget to get your appliction in for the spring season...Deadline is Feb 1, 2008 :wink:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:30 pm

Not at all uncommon to hear them gobble in the fall and winter, also you may be hearing a jake as he is learning to gobble. It can sound pretty ruff at times. :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:31 am

2004 I saw Goblers in full strut on a river bank in Middle GA right before I heard them gobble, it was midmorning the 2nd week of January.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum