Fixed blades or mechanical bladed broadheads?

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Mechanical blades or Fixed bladed broadheads?

Fixed blades
79%
Mechanical blabes
21%

Total votes : 14

Fixed blades or mechanical bladed broadheads?

Postby huntmq1 » Wed May 18, 2005 12:00 am

I use mechanical NAP 100 grain broadheads. Whats everybody else using and how have you liked or dis-liked them?
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed May 18, 2005 6:59 am

I shoot mechanicals right now, but I really don't like them. I'm going back to fixed blades just for the confidence in knowing they are open when they leave my bow. I'm going to check out those Montec G5's. Pretty sweet broadheads.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Wed May 18, 2005 10:15 am

Fixed heads for me. I shoot a 100gr Satilite . We have tried out a few of the mech. broadheads & have never had one of them open everytime. The only thing I will use them for now is turkey hunting. There are a lot of guides that will ask before you come to hunt with them what kind of broadheads you use. If you say mech.'s they will tell you to either change your broadhead before you come or find another guide. Just MOI. :smile:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed May 18, 2005 1:07 pm

i use 125 thunderhead.mechanical heads are illegal here.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed May 18, 2005 4:09 pm

110 grain Zwickey Eskimo's on cedar shafts. Thats right, traditional as can be! No mechanical heads for this guy.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby gahunter » Wed May 18, 2005 6:10 pm

125gr. wasp mechanicals. I forget what model they are. Last season was the first time for them, but the 2 does I shot ran a combined 60 yds. :thumbsup: I like them fine. Before that I used 125gr Muzzy heads. They worked good, too. I just went to mechanicals because I was shooting a faster bow and didn't want to have to tune to much for my broadheads. I am going to try both before this season.
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed May 18, 2005 8:37 pm

I tried some mechanicals last year and didn't really like them. I think they were Wasp Jakhammers. They are a pain to practice with. I usually use either 100 grain Thunderheads or 100 grain Muzzy's.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu May 19, 2005 10:19 am

100 grain Muzzy
harvey1b
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Fri May 20, 2005 9:49 am

Harvey1b, how well do you like your muzzys? I have been thinking about changing to them but was wondering how do they hold up on rib bones & such.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Fri May 20, 2005 3:29 pm

I've only hunted 1 season with them and didn't shoot anything big. I killed an @$$-load of grouse with them and they did great. I have a few friends that have taken numerous elk with them. They talk about rivers of blood coming out the side of the animal after it has been shot.

I like them and the price is right. There are all kinds of fancy broadheads on the market but the simple 3-blade setup(With good sharp blades) is all you need as far as I'm concerned. Going through bone and skin I think has more to do with the poundage of your bow and the placement of the shot. After you get those down I don't think the broadhead will make too much difference. The reality of it is that there is so much force concentrated on that small tip that they'll go through most anything. A good shot at 20yds with 60lb pull will knock down anything on this continent. Get your bow shooting good groups at 20yds in a variety of conditions, even if it means dropping your pull weight. When you have to make the shot on 6x6 bull elk all pissed off at you, pulling out sapplings with snot pouring out of his nose 'cause he thinks you took one of his girls and he wants to kick your tail, the Muzzy will put him in his place just as well as any other broadhead.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby gahunter » Fri May 20, 2005 8:32 pm

:withstupid: Shot placement is the name of the game. If you put an arrow in the boiler room it doesn't really matter what is on the end as long as it cuts. A blade that causes good bleeding is a bonus though. I busted both lungs and clipped the heart of a 9-ptr 2 years ago with a muzzy and got a really crappy blood trail. The arrow also went through the bucks opposite leg, so there were 4 holes and only a few drops of blood. That deer ran maybe 75 yds downhill. He was dead in 2 seconds, but still left a crappy trail. If it would have been a bad hit, I more than likely never would have found him. I don't know where I am going with this, except to say that you better stick'em where it counts.
gahunter
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Fri May 20, 2005 10:22 pm

Ya'll must of missed understood me. I wanted to know about how the broadhead holds up. Will the ferral of the broadhead bend if it hits bone. 10 yrs. ago I used to use thunderheads until they started bending if they hit a rib or shoulder blade. I went to satilites & have made shots that went through both shoulder blades & never bent a single one. They are getting so hard to find is the reason that I am looking to change to a different broadhead. Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Sat May 21, 2005 12:24 am

muzzy 125gr. i love them. i have tried several others but nothing performs like they do for me. i have killed big hogs & deer with them and never fail to get a clean pass through shot.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby gahunter » Sat May 21, 2005 8:12 am

I have yet to have any problems with bending or breaking of muzzys or the wasps. The only bones that I have put the wasps through are ribs though. I have put the muzzys through (and I mean all the way through) just about evrything there is on the front half on a deer. :salude:
gahunter
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Sat May 21, 2005 10:31 am

in shooting the grouse I mentioned before the Muzzy's went through a lot of abuse, i.e. rocks and what ever, not sure how that happened. They held up great, the blades weren't in the best shape but I think that's expected
harvey1b
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Thu May 26, 2005 8:52 am

I agree with harvey1b, I have shot Muzzy 125 grain broadheads for years my broadheads have hit rocks and even a steel pole once (not to proud of that one). The deer that I've shot have all died within sight of where I shot them. The first buck I ever shot the broadhead went through the right front shoulder and was sticking out the left hind quarter (two shoulders). So, from my experience the muzzy broadhead is the toughest broadhead out there. From the rocks, poles, and shoulders I have yet to break a blade.

harvey1b, I was over in your part of the woods last october antelope hunting, just west of town, by the ceneca gas station. We had so much fun that we put in again this year. Pretty country!! I love the smell of sage and seeing that morning sun come up over the horizon. It brings to mind one of Chris Ledoux's songs. :smile:
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu May 26, 2005 10:55 am

yeah, it's pretty nice around here. not much for bird hunting but the rest is great. glad to hear you had a good trip. where did you hunt out there? did you have any luck? You must have if you had such a good time. I went bow hunting for antelope on some public land out that way but didn't get anything. Most of that is private and you gotta pay to get on it. After opening day the antelope figure out real quick where the unhunted ground is, i.e. the stuff you have to pay for access.

My uncle lives up in Yakima, and I have a good budy from there. There's pretty good waterfowling by you isn't there?
harvey1b
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Thu May 26, 2005 11:22 am

We hunted in Unit 43 the diamond lake area (hunter management area). The biologist told me to skip the first week of the hunt due to all the hunters and the animals are all worked up. So we went the second week and never seen another hunter around. There were seven of us that drove over and we all had our animals within the first 24 hours. We literally spent more time in the trucks getting to Laramie than we did hunting. Boy you would have to be a lot better bow hunter than me to be able to get into range of an antelope in that country. The cover was sparse at best.

Does your uncle or buddy do much hunting over here in the Yakima area? The duck hunting isn't to bad we have a few little areas we hit early in the season and it doesn't take long to fill up on the local birds (wood ducks, and some mallards). Later on in the year we mainly hunt the Columbia River. Thats when it gets fun!! Some of those birds are so wise that they are tough to get in, but then the next flock you can't keep them out of your decoys.

We will have to stay in touch here on the site and if you ever come out to visit your buddy or uncle during the fall maybe we could hook up for a duck hunt or maybe go flip some Muzzy at something :thumbsup:
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu May 26, 2005 12:30 pm

that's supposed to be a good area. I was in 45. It was my first season here so I was just as green as anyone. I'll check that 43 out. The thing is with so many different species to hunt you get spread thin. I hunted bow for pronghorn b/c it opens August 15. When rifle opens ~ sept1, I was out chasing elk with the bow and pretty much gave up on antelope. After you bag an elk you can jump on the deer, or vise versa if it happens that way, and then you've got 3+ months of birds. With all that hunting it's wonder I get anything accomplished in the fall!

We'll definately have to keep in touch. My uncle doesn't hunt too much in WA, but my buddy talks about jumping ducks and geese on the lakes and ponds around there. He also says they've hammered 'em on the Columbia as you suggest, but he lives in Seattle now so I don't know how much he stilll does in Yak. I'ld love to get a duck/goose hunt on the Columbia. It is such beautiful country and I bet there are a ton of birds. That would be a blast. We might have to make it happen. You comin' out this way again in the fall?
harvey1b
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Thu May 26, 2005 12:44 pm

I hear exactly what you are saying about being spread out thin during the fall. I start my fall off every year in Augus with my annual archery deer trip to Utah, from there the fall just picks up speed and before I know it, its january and I'm sitting in the duck blind wondering where the time went.

Its all up to the Wyoming Fish and Game on whether or not I get back to Laramie or not :smile: They are holding my money right now, odds are we will draw again, but you never know. What do you do for a living there in Laramie? I personally work at Tree Top. Home of the worlds best Apple Juice.
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby TNRedneck » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:30 pm

I shoot 100 gr. Thunderheads.
GITN-R-DONE THIS SIDE OF THE MISSISSIPPI FOR 16 YEARS!
TNRedneck
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:14 pm

muzzy 125 grain 4 bladers.....getn-er-dun :mrgreen:
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

You do your thing, I'll do mine...- Montgomery Gentry
diver-hunter
hunter

Return to Big Game