Virginia Military Waterfowlers , How can I help ?

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Virginia Military Waterfowlers , How can I help ?

Postby LEWDOG » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:50 pm

Some of you know me and know that I what to help you enjoy hunting waterfowl while you are in our state . For the last 10 years or more I have been inviting active duty hunters to join me on hunts but what I want to do now is to get other resident hunters to take up my habit . Here in Va. there is a lot of active duty military and a lot of them become waterfowlers b/c of lack of public hunting land . ADM can get a boat and put a blind on it and buy a floating blind license and duck hunt the public waters . This action is good and bad at the same time , being that Va. does have blind laws there is a conflict between fixed blind owners and floating blind owners . The problem is all floaters look alike but I know that most fixed blind owners would allow a ADM floater to hunt if they knew . Maybe this forum is the cure I am looking for and I have all summer to find out , with any luck the 2008 - 2009 season is going to be a great season for Virginia active duty military waterfowlers :thumbsup:
Until then Thank You all for our Freedom !

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby k9horseluvr » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:37 am

Thanks LD. To any of the ADM out there that have not met LD- if you have a chance to hunt with the man-DO IT- I guarantee you will see birds to shoot. Not to mention have one hell of a time with a great guy! AFMAN and I had a great time in the early season and hope to hunt with LD in the future. Hopefully, we can provide a spot or two where we can take LD.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy"
-JFK
k9horseluvr
Forum Moderator

A bit of history!

Postby cut_un » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:37 am

Guys, wish to expand on what K9 started about Lew Dog. I've know him for several years now, here, other sites and our state waterfowl org.
Lew Dog has always had the desire to look for ways to help the Military Personal stationed here in Va..He has hosted hunts each year for anyone willing to get up early and drive down and spend a day in his world, and I might add that his world is a duck hunters heaven. He has never ask for anything in return for the day as it's his opportinity to help give back to all the folks that give so much :wink:
This site is a result of just such a hunt. His offer thru a post on the Va. site put a group of military hunters together and as they shared the hunt converstions turned to helping folks away from their homewaters to have an opportinity to meet and hunt with others.
Others have had a part in making the site become available for all to enjoy but from where I'm sitting, it's his ball we are carrying, I'd like to "strongly recommend" Lew dog as a moderator for this site( if he would have it). Whatever happens to the Military Site, he will always be "The God Father" of the spot on DHC for our Military to sit kick back, relax and think about DUCK HUNTING :bow:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:43 am

I've hunted with LEWDOGS cousin on the Mobjack bay. If he's anything like his cousin....he's a good egg. I would be for him to be a moderator, But I also think we should have a Active Duty or Veteran in addition. I don't know if LD or Cut_Un has served or not, so no offense to them either way...I think he's a good person & I think highly of the things he's been doing :thumbsup:

Just my thoughts

Scott
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby k9horseluvr » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:21 pm

Cut Un has hit the nail on the head. LD was the first to greet my on DHC when I asked for some help in the new waters of VA. And since, I've seen him post many times inviting ADM to hunts. He definitely has my vote for Moderator.

K9
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy"
-JFK
k9horseluvr
Forum Moderator

Postby cut_un » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:28 pm

I myself have not served and i'm only serving you guys as a temp moderator for the site, I do not take it personal if you guys wish to have a military moderator, it's my only wish that you guys make the most of this opportinity to expand on an idea. And to answer the question of LD's experience in the military, I'll let him answer it himself, but he served :thumbsup:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:35 pm

I don't think there's any question that LD should be a moderator, I'm pleased he has served and he's in the general location that would benefit Active duty & retirees that are in the Hampton roads area including the Penninsula & northern neck. He would be a great asset to our troops who waterfowl. Thanks for your response. I hope LD gets a serious look for the job, from you & Admin2. Take care :thumbsup: LD GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Thanks for all the kind words but I like to stick with my home state of Virginia , The moderator of this forum should be a Military member . I was in the Coast Guard back in 1974 - 1978 and that four years I didn't do any waterfowling b/c I wasn't station in Va. , didn't know the laws of the states I was in , didn't have my gear nor did I have anywhere to keep my gear . That is why I now offer to help ADM waterfowlers that are station here in Va. , I know what the hardships they have and I do have hunting grounds I don't mind sharing , I do have room to store gear and I can and do trust hunting with ADM hunters that I have never met b/c they have been train by the best in gun safety . Unlike people that live here in my county the ADM are not out to take my good spots they just want a place they can hunt without fear of breaking a law . War is hell and when a ADM get back to the states and gets station here in Va. and they get some time off for R&R the least I can do is to offer a spot in my blind , or a bag of decoys and a gun .
With the help of this forum and the VAWFA Org. I want to get other Va. waterfowlers to do the same and in time I would like to see this spreading to every state in American . AFMAN and k9horseluvr was the first to say that this idea could be big and God knows there is a big need and it is a great way for the sportsmen to show support to our Military .

:smile: LD :smile:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:01 pm

Well said LEWDOG, You're a class act :thumbsup:
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

thanks

Postby duck slayR » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:09 am

first of all thanks for all everyone on here does for us ADM's its been great i hunt with afman and K9 most everyweekend and there aint a day that goes by we are in the blind and LEWDOG's name dont come up i have never met him but he has been a great help to myself and the guys i hunt with and does alot for us so he has my vote for a moderator. thanks again for all the help and advice from everyone!!
here they come boys start callin'..................wait....SHOOT it's just seagulls!
duck slayR
Suzie Spoonbill Slayer

Opportinities

Postby cut_un » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:16 pm

LD, I'm sure we all can put our heads together and come up with a plan that will benefit any military person wishing to take advantage of what Va. has to offer. I know the folks here on DHC's Military Forum, the Va. site and The Vawfa are behind the idea 100%!

Maybe with what happens on and around the Va. waters will spread to other states and other Military Bases :yes:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Hey Fuys

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:07 pm

Hey Guys, I think what you're doing is above and beyond the call of duty. Hooah! I take my hat,,,,errrr,,,I mean,,, "Beret" off to ya.

I was assigned to the Joint War Fighting Center there in Norfolk from 2000-2003. I sure wish I knew you guys then. I tried my best to hunt, but when your a transient as we mostly are, it takes all of the three year assignment just to figure out where to go. By the time you figure it out it's time for that next reassignment.

I messed around in Back Bay with little results. But hey, at least I was hunting.

Maybe what you guys are doing will catch across this great country of ours and you'll be the pioneers of such an effort.

I'm currently stationed at Ft Lewis, WA. Any ADM that wants to hunt with me just throw me a PM. TOO EASY!!

Hooah!

PS: BTW, I'm not sure I understand why you feel you need to be military to be a moderator. Your support is appreciated regardless. You guys are doing a great job. Just my two cents.
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:37 pm

Quote :I was assigned to in Norfolk from 2000-2003. I sure wish I knew you guys then. I tried my best to hunt, but when your a transient as we mostly are, it takes all of the three year assignment just to figure out where to go. By the time you figure it out it's time for that next reassignment. :Quote
That is it that is why I feel the need to lend a helping hand to our ADM that get put here for awhile for training and such or going to or from our wars . Most have never heard of Waterfowl blind laws much less have any idea how to understand them . Then there are the bases of the state , most have hunting for the ADM's but only a few have Waterfowl hunting .
Well if I have anything to do with that those days are about to go away . The people of Virginia Waterfowlers' Association have given me the OK to search out and find ways the VAWFA can help our waterfowling ADM brothers to enjoy there time off doing the season . To teach them about our blind laws and to help ADM's to make friends in the right places within our waterfowling world .
When a ADM waterfowler gets station at the Norfolk base I want them to be able to go to the MWR and rent a floating duck blind with license and a Dz or so decoys with a map of some places to hunt . I want the same hunter to be able to put there name on a list of hunters wanting to share a hunt b/c it isn't safe to duck hunt alone in unknown waters . I want to see a list of all these websites with Virginia forums so they can log on and make friends with the locals and get a hunting report of where the birds are . Last I want the word to get out to all the other states that have waterfowling Associations to wake them up into what is the right thing to do .
God Bless America and Thank You for your Service !

:thumbsup: LD :thumbsup:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby browninga5m » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:54 pm

I was stationed in Norfolk 1994-95. Was on the USS Hayler. Wish I would of known you then..LOL. There wasnt much to do for me on off days. Stayed in the apartment. I did have a chance to go sea fishin once but turned it down as i spent too much time on a boat as it was...
Browning, The Best There Is!!!
browninga5m
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:58 pm

I take it that you are out now, is Hampton, Iowa home or the place that you live and work at ? I see that you are a Mod. for the Iowa board so you can now start your own thing of helping ADM's that are station in Iowa . A little help can go a long way . Contact the local chapters of DU, Delta and the Waterfowl Association (if there is one) and see what they can do for ADM's . Once the ball gets rolling you will be surprised how big it will get .

:smile: LD :thumbsup:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:23 pm

As i said in an earlier post Lewdog is the real deal guys..... he helped me out years ago, got me out of the barracks and into a duck blind!!!!! He's a true class act and a dependable friend to all Active duty!!! Thanks again lewdog, i'm sure you don't remember me but i don't think i'll ever forget you!!!
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:35 pm

Hey man how are you doing , tell me have you a wheel for a trailer it seems that I am in need again :rofl: . Sure is a bad way to start a day but if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all . Thanks for the good words and the offer to take ADM's hunting here in Va. still stands , I can't promise we will get into some birds but it won't be any dull moments either .

:yes: LD :biggrin:
PS: As always if you find yourself in Virginia a spot in the blind is yours :wink:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Coastiewaterfowler » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:32 pm

LD,

Thanks for what you are doing. I'm a BM1 up here in Pittsburgh, but from the OBX. I'm trying to get ANT Milford Haven next year. I have been lucky my last two duty stations because of guys like you, that took me out showed the ropes of the area and welcomed me to their blind.

Any ADM or retired who wants to come to the Pamilco Sound this year let me know and I can plan some leave. I got some nice black duck holes to get into, swan and snow geese as well.

Thanks again LD,

John
Coastiewaterfowler
hunter

Postby Remman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:53 pm

I think that all of you guys are right on! We must show our support for the men and women of the USA military, these guys and gals really give so much of themselves for our great country! I think Ga really needs to get on this band wagon. I have two military base close by, and I would help anyone who is serving or has served our country.
Let me know if I could be of service!
God bless our troops!
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:47 pm

Coastiewaterfowler let me know if you get Milford Haven I hunt about a mile from the base and have a friend that is there now . I am glad to hear that you will start helping ADM's . I was in the Guard back in 74' to 78' , one of the reasons I got out was the fact they put me in Baltimore city and I didn't know there laws , didn't know anyone that hunted and lived on the CGC Apalachee (110' tug) and had nowhere for a gun and decoys . Now I am retried and have the room, blinds, decoys, guns and time I know what is needed and I can give back to hunters in military .
Remman please do get something going in Ga. , waterfowling can take your mind off of things real fast and these days that is needed. What better way to say Thank You for your services then to hook them up with a dz decoy a cold boat ride , a gun if needed and a hot cup of coffee just before first light. Nothing is better then the look on a face after a morning of waterfowling and no one wants to hunt alone .

:smile: LD :yes:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Daffy Ducking » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:56 pm

Hey LEWDOG if you ever wanna gun some ducks or brant in Delaware I would be honored as a military veteran to take you out! I was peeking around at some of the surrounding states and I have read how you have supported your local soldiers and I think that is great!! If a soldier from Delaware can help ya, you know how to reach me! Thanks for your support and God Bless!!!! :thumbsup:
Ever lay in bed at nite and hear geese honk and ducks quackin????
Daffy Ducking
State Moderator

teal in sept

Postby malardslayer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:52 am

wheres a good place to shoot up some teal along with hookers.
shoot them up
malardslayer
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:07 am

MS you are more then welcome to join me here for a goose hunt and if you post the same question on the Va. board I'm sure you would get with a lot of goose hunters around Fort lee.

:thumbsup: LD :smile:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Duckhead79 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:25 am

Hey Lew,
I dont think I have had the pleasure of talking with you on here yet. I'm an acquaintance of afman87, and he has talked nothing but good things about you, along with everyone else that knows anything about you.
First lets say I havent had at all the best of luck in the last...4 years i think it is... at locating the birds and taking anything close to a limit here in VA. Matter of fact, I will say I have shot a total of about 15 birds in that time, and mostly bufflehead at that. i got lucky one year with a black duck.
Anyway, I would love to have the opportunity to take a hunt trip out sometime with ya'. I live in Newport News and my best huntin buddy just left with orders to another base, so needles to say, I feel a little down with the start of this season coming up.
Please just shoot me a line anytime and give me a heads up if any trips are planned.
Thanks!!!!
Chris
Duckhead79
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:40 am

Chris I have a hunt in the planning for Afman and Nick L for Monday the 13th (Columbus Day) are you off that day and if so do you want to join us ? Are you in the Air Force and station at Langley too, both of them are and you all could ride here together ?
I am now doing these ADM hunts for the VAWFA ( www.vawfa.org ) and hunting in Virginia is going to get a lot better for active duty hunters here .

:thumbsup: LD :yes:
LEWDOG
hunter

Next

Return to Military Forum