Crosspost - all-girl hunt with traveling wooden wigeon decoy

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Crosspost - all-girl hunt with traveling wooden wigeon decoy

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:02 am

I posted this yesterday on the California forum, but thought some of the women here would enjoy this too:

It wasn't the most ducks I'd ever gotten, but yesterday was one of my coolest hunts ever: I got together with three other women for an all-girl hunt over a traveling wooden wigeon decoy named Bald Pete.

The short version of the story is that Bald Pete is traveling all over the country to hunt with as many hunters as possible this season. We were his only all-girl hunt, and he helped us bring in four mallards, two teal and a drake wigeon (just like himself). When it's over, he'll be auctioned off for a DU fundraiser.

The long story, in case you're one of those people who likes all the details, is at http://norcalcazadora.blogspot.com/2008/01/magnificent-all-girl-hunt-with-bald.html.

It was pretty cool. Most of us normally hunt with our husbands or boyfriends (and one of us isn't licensed yet, so she'll get started next year), but this was a day for us.
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Kiskadinna » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:27 am

Sounds like an excellent hunt - read the blog post too. Thanks for sharing that!
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:47 pm

Wow, that sounds like such a great hunt! Makes me wish I knew a group of gals around here to hunt with.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:04 pm

Seriously, you have trouble finding women hunters in MICHIGAN? Every time I look at the news there's another story about a woman hunter there. Then again, it's almost always deer hunters...
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:45 pm

That's exactly it. EVERYONE and their brother is a deer hunter. Which is cool, but a lot of those people just hunt once or twice a year, on the opener. Though, even with the number of people that hunt here, I only really know one other chica that hunts and that's my sister-in-law. It probably doesn't help that I live in the 2nd largest city in the state.

I only just started waterfowling this past year, and only fairly recently learned about the WITO and BOW programs, so I'm hoping to meet a few more gals that way. :)

And not to sound like an internet stalker, but I see that you post on the FS Huntress blog sometimes. :thumbsup: I just go by Shannon over there.
Last edited by Outdoor Gal on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:59 pm

Big game has the biggest percentage of women hunters of all forms of hunting. Waterfowl has the smallest. It takes big commitment to stand in the rain for hours in a marsh! (We rock!)
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:13 am

We sure do! Now if I could only hit something that was flying... I'm great at mopping up cripples though! :rofl:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:10 pm

Yep, I know what you mean. But, hey, someone's gotta do it...
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:30 pm

I take pride in my place as the party "kill-stealer". lol.

Switching from rifle shooting to shotgunning has taken a little getting used to. But I'm better now, than when I started, and I'll be better in a year, than I am now. :yes:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:18 pm

Ah, see I'm going the other direction - gonna take up big game this spring. It's really hard adjusting to rifle mentality on the shooting range - like, what, I have to hold still???

And I absolutely cannot shoot rifle and shotgun on the same day. Too much for my poor brain!
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:51 pm

Same problems, just in reverse. lol.

Skeet shooting is just horrid. I keep getting told, "Swivel at the hips! Swing at the hips!" And I'm like, "It's NOT natural!" There's a reason I don't dance either, my hips just don't move. :no: :rofl: I'm a lot better at trap, but I'm too stubborn to give up on skeet shooting. As soon as the weather warms up, I'll be back at the range practicing.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:06 pm

I just hate how predictable skeet is. I'm really good at knowing the lead I need on the clay at every single station, but clays don't act like ducks.

But I do like it when they explode! :thumbsup:
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum