Neck Bands

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Re: Neck Bands

Postby 6 a day the healthy way » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Where I live in Minnesota we have an in town sanctuary and re highest population of banded birds in Minnesota. I am yet to see a neck band but I see leg bands so much they aren't even rare for me. My first goose I ever shot was banded. I can count upwards of 80 birds with bands in mid June already.
6 a day the healthy way
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:50 pm

I know that they have started to phase out "colored" neck bands on snows. They are going with white collars on snow geese to decrease the number that are shot. Hunters would single these white birds out that had big bright colored "shoot me " signs on them. It was starting to make their data biased.
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby not sponsored » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Oklahoma Greenhead wrote:I know that they have started to phase out "colored" neck bands on snows. They are going with white collars on snow geese to decrease the number that are shot. Hunters would single these white birds out that had big bright colored "shoot me " signs on them. It was starting to make their data biased.

Maybe in your state...
That is not an accurate statement considering all of the collaring projects still underway.
not sponsored
Newb

Postby hockymvp » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:23 pm

We have a few around here. I am in Colorado. All the ones I have seen have green neck bands. ALSO every one I've seen with a neck band was double leg banded as well. Three bands in one! There is one that hangs out at our mall. I drive by him almost every day. I want to jump on that bastard. I'm being good though.
hockymvp
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:15 pm

Oklahoma Greenhead wrote:I know that they have started to phase out "colored" neck bands on snows. They are going with white collars on snow geese to decrease the number that are shot. Hunters would single these white birds out that had big bright colored "shoot me " signs on them. It was starting to make their data biased.

I thought the purpose of the neck bands as opposed to leg bands was so they would stand out and they could read the letters with binoculars or a spotting scope. It should be pretty trivial to correct for the bias with leg band data and what good is a collar that doesn't stand out relative to a leg band? I must be missing something because I would think they have to be losing a ton of data by going with nearly invisible neck bands. You can have thousands of geese on the water and an orange neck band jumps right out at you. If it's nearly invisible, you have to scope every single neck to find it. Granted the life expectancy of that goose goes down, but that's easy to counter: more neck bands :thumbsup:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:16 pm

I have been Lucky, here in Wisconsin there are a few around. I got one with a radio collar on one year, it's the far right one.
Attachments
neck bands.jpg
Goose Neck Bands
War Wagon
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:44 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:

I thought the purpose of the neck bands as opposed to leg bands was so they would stand out and they could read the letters with binoculars or a spotting scope. It should be pretty trivial to correct for the bias with leg band data and what good is a collar that doesn't stand out relative to a leg band? I must be missing something because I would think they have to be losing a ton of data by going with nearly invisible neck bands. You can have thousands of geese on the water and an orange neck band jumps right out at you. If it's nearly invisible, you have to scope every single neck to find it. Granted the life expectancy of that goose goes down, but that's easy to counter: more neck bands :thumbsup:

Could be going to white ones for snows...black for Canada's and then just check when they are re-captured and keep records that way. A lot of people would poach collard birds out of trucks with rifles because the bright collars stand out.
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:18 pm

IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

Could be going to white ones for snows...black for Canada's and then just check when they are re-captured and keep records that way. A lot of people would poach collard birds out of trucks with rifles because the bright collars stand out.

How is that any different than leg bands? :huh:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:07 pm

It isn't really. Just a thought.
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:28 pm

I had a guide tell me different colors for different areas. Yellow in our area. My son shot it and was yelling at me as he was retrieving it over a dike. "Dad it's banded!" He was ringing it's neck when I saw what he was talking about and doing I said "Stop we will get it mounted." Great story, Great memory. My daughter found another one fully intact without the bird in a field. We contacted fish and game on both and anyone who had seen and reported the bands were on the certificates we received along with dates and areas :beer: :banana: I'm pretty sure you can look up this bird or any other bird you see on the internet

If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:40 am

O.D.Lid wrote:We contacted fish and game on both and anyone who had seen and reported the bands were on the certificates we received along with dates and areas :beer: :banana:
That's pretty cool.

There was an orange neck color I would see on the way to work one winter. I never did get the numbers off of it.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:21 pm

been out scouting and there are 2 birds with these neck collars in the area I'm going for next weekends opener. Maybe I can add to my collection!? :thumbsup:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:22 pm

I have shot one on a Canada it was white (I'm in the pacific flyway). And it's the only one I have ever seen in person, and I see thousands of geese year after year. They are very few and and FAR between. Regular leg bands are waaaay more common.
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby Defenseab » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:14 am

During an aerial scout in northern VT we flew over a flock of geese setting up to land in some cut corn. I noticed a bright orange flash on one of the geese and swung around for closer inspection. Turns out one of the geese had a neck band. First I have ever seen in VT, and it was in the air none the less. I have never heard of anyone up here shooting a neck banded Canada (heard of a few snows). Wish I could have got a picture.
Defenseab
Newb

Postby cwsmith » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:36 pm

in my county about 3-4% of the geese harvested are collared. we also have dusky canada geese and an odfw goose surveyor told me today she saw a flock of 100 of them last year that had 51 collars! She was able to read and report every one. I am hoping to kill a collared cackling canada goose (yellow color) this year.
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg